Type keyword(s) to search

Season (Series) One: Between Town & Gown

I just discovered this series - part of the way through the "Trove" episode.  I love it!

How can I find season 1?  I checked the usual place I rent disks (Netflix) and was only able to find a 103-minute disk that looks like the pilot, I guess.  Am I going to have to buy season 1 in order to see it?

And, if you watch on Amazon Prime (as I did ... no idea how I missed this the first time around), you'll need to watch the pilot separately first, then the first series.

So I have a question that may or may not belong here.  I heard about this show and want to watch it but so far, only the final two episodes are available On Demand.  Can I watch those two episodes and go back and watch the rest (first season on Prime and second season hopefully later)?  Or should I really watch from the beginning?

You will get more from the show if you start at the beginning (the pilot, then the first season), but you won't be completely lost if you jump in where you can. The entire second season is on pbs.org with expiration dates of 7/29 11:59 pm ET for ep. 1 and one week later for each remaining episode, so you don't have to start with the two most recent, at least. But I would vote for starting at the beginning.

I finally signed up for Amazon Prime to watch this series in high-def from the beginning, and what a delight the very first "Endeavour" episode is.  So much nuance that I missed when it first aired (and when I was skeptical that I'd want to watch any kind of precursor!).  I had forgotten that he did not drink when it started, and the look on his face while drinking his first pint was wonderful, as was the look on his face in his first time driving a Jag.  (Really, police cars could be Jags?)  The jumping to wrong conclusions, the unrequited love, so many tics that show up twenty years later are all there.

And I was also struck by the number of references to names in "later" Inspector Morse episodes:  Jericho, Wolvercote, "Last Bus to Woodstock," and "Last Seen Wearing" all hit me as they were mentioned.  I think there were one or two more I am forgetting.   

I love this first episode even more, now that I have seen the subsequent episodes of "Endeavour". 

• Love 1

And it is available at Amazon for instant viewing -- they have a 30-day trial period if you want to try it out.  I had trouble getting it going -- it kept "hiccupping" every few seconds, but I stopped and started all over again, and it was completely smooth.  I think it is one of the best of the "Endeavour" episodes. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

Finally went back and watched the first season - outstanding.  Funny thing is though, knowing what I know about Fred Thursday from season 2, I found it amusing that the killer in Fugue thought that a knife would be enough to force Thursday off a roof.  Thursday.  Was kind of Fred to wait for Morse so he could participate in the arrest rather than just giving Cronyn/Gull the asskicking he richly deserved.

Edited by henripootel

@henripootel We at The Letter M think that this is a power play between Thursday and Cronyn. Cronyn got Thursday in a compromising position (at the edge of a building) with a primitive instrument such as a knife as his coup de grace. This completes his dominance of the scene. We just hoped that Morse came in surprisingly and that Cronyn did not notice him at all so that it would be more suspenseful.

We at The Letter M think that this is a power play between Thursday and Cronyn. Cronyn got Thursday in a compromising position (at the edge of a building) with a primitive instrument such as a knife as his coup de grace.

Oh I got the dramatic thrust of this, I'm just saying Cronyn should have chosen another F victim.  Fred Thursday is a very formidable man, and coming at with a mere blade can only end up with work for Dr. DeBryn, to whom it would fall to remove Thursday's shoe from Cronyn's behind. 

You know how everyone on the show is always so shocked and/or snooty when they find out that a former Oxford student is a police detective? The English class system was a more inflexible back in the 60s, but that still strikes me as being a bit exaggerated.

I mean, if I met a police officer who had attended Harvard or Stanford but didn't graduate, would I make a snide comment or give him/her the "how the mighty have fallen!" look? I don't think so.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Iju said:

why does the discussion start at S2? disappointing...?

Do you mean the episode topics? If so, probably because the site opened in early 2014, after the first season episodes aired. The second series/season aired the summer 2014. You can talk about Season one overall in here though. If there was interest in a rewatch, episode topics could be started for that.

On 12/04/2018 at 7:11 PM, saoirse said:

Do you mean the episode topics? If so, probably because the site opened in early 2014, after the first season episodes aired. The second series/season aired the summer 2014. You can talk about Season one overall in here though. If there was interest in a rewatch, episode topics could be started for that.

nah it's okay, i'll just discuss S2 :)