Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The Ethiopian Executioner

Lady Calypso
  • Start Topic

I enjoyed the pilot but I thought this second episode was bad. I thought the plot was stupid and characters that I thought were charming in the first episode I suddenly found annoying. Not sure if I am going to stick with this one.

• Love 2

I am not feeling this show. The crazy rich Asians are mildly amusing but the meathead raised in America guy is not funny and the works a million jobs lady is little to much. Kal Penn’s Character seems to stupid to have ever got elected and would never have managed to stay elected that long. Akeem is the only character that really seems sympathetic. Maybe a show about him would be better. 

• Love 2

While there are things that I like about this show, I have a feeling it is not long for this world.  Kal Penn is more adept at a sitcom than I thought he would be and I love Hakim and Grizelda, but nothing else really worked today.  The Crazy Rich Asians don't make any sense and are so far into the cliche that they just don't work and the young guy seems to be in another show.  Sigh...

• Love 2

The thing about the crazy rich Asians is why don’t they get a real high priced immigration attorney? I just saw an article that said for 500,000$ you can skip all the paperwork. They are portrayed as that would be no burden to pay 1 million and both be citizens 

• Love 5

Aw, yay for Hakim calling out that scammer as he did.

2 hours ago, Dbolt said:

Kal Penn’s Character seems to stupid to have ever got elected and would never have managed to stay elected that long.

Eh, I dunno, I could buy that :p. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Some things still need to jell but so far I'm warming up to this show.  It's good to see Diana Maria Riva on a show again (still miss Telenovela) and I'm liking Hakim.  And they had some good lines in this one:

"You got ketchup, water and raisins, you got soup."

"If it's so stupid why is it the best idea I've come up with?"

5 hours ago, Dbolt said:

Kal Penn’s Character seems to stupid to have ever got elected and would never have managed to stay elected that long.

*looks at my elected representatives*  No, that part is completely believable.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 10/4/2019 at 1:56 PM, Dbolt said:

The thing about the crazy rich Asians is why don’t they get a real high priced immigration attorney? I just saw an article that said for 500,000$ you can skip all the paperwork. They are portrayed as that would be no burden to pay 1 million and both be citizens 

Not sure if this is what that article was about, but for $500,000 (as an investment in certain new businesses) you can get an EB5 visa, which ultimately makes you eligible you a green card, and a green card means you can apply for citizenship after 5 years. So that wouldn't help Jun Ho and Mei Lin, as they're already evidently eligible for citizenship and I'm fairly certain someone still has to fill out paperwork for that. 

But yes, they could certainly pay someone to do almost all of it (I think attending certain biometrics tests in person is unavoidable), and as many in this forum have pointed out, the actual citizenship test is not especially difficult for two people who speak fluent english. They'd need one prep session. 

This episode was even less funny than the pilot. I want to like this show!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I couldn't get through this episode. It is just too disjointed and some of the characters (Asian siblings) are just too over-the-top. It is waffling between realistic (which I think it should be) and cartoonish. I'm not sure it will find its footing before the axe falls. And I like Kal Penn, but he's not working for me here.

The tone reminds me of the show the Mayor, which I liked, and felt much more together than this. Of course, that didn't last either, so who am I to judge?

Edited by xander874
My finger beat my brain