Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The Rival

Ugh, Bobby is so slimy and Keri is a fool. McGann is repulsive and makes Nick come off sympathetic.

The show is unlikely to be renewed so I hope next week the FBI sweeps in and indicts the whole lot.

Derrick and Yoli were surprisingly sweet.

So, when McGann and Nick are meeting, McGann makes some leading comment about how Jessica is the root of all their problems and they need to take care of that.  I'm  paraphrasing there, as I didn't rewatch it.  What I did do is go all the way back to Ep. 1, (at least 8 weeks previously) when she takes the cab to Calumet and 61st, and then calls another woman (Keri?).  A van approaches, and she says "Stay on the line".  Right about that time her eyes get a little big, and it cuts to a different scene.  Bad Day at Black Rock for Jessica?  Possible.  Maybe Misdirection?  Also quite possible. 

Show of hands.  How many people actually googled 'Best Boxing Gloves'?  I did, and those Everlast gloves really do show up.  Nice plug.

Keri's gotta be thinking "Should I stay here at the lower paid city attorney position so I can continue in this useless relationship, or should I go private and make $310,000 per year?  Hmmm."

I hope it’s renewed. Give it a chance to capture an audience.  

I really hated that Jessica wasn’t upset with Angela about turning on her.  What does she feel guilty about when it comes to her family?

i think they are rushing the Nick story.  Now he confesses to Keri?  They should’ve built up a scenario against McGann first.  I like the Nick character. I was hoping they’d have something to show that he may not have committed the murder.

9 hours ago, crossover said:

I hope it’s renewed. Give it a chance to capture an audience.  

I really hated that Jessica wasn’t upset with Angela about turning on her.  What does she feel guilty about when it comes to her family?

I don't understand the animosity towards Jessica either. It seems like Jessica has bent over backwards trying to make life easier for her Aunt, Angela & kids. Are they upset (or jealous) because she made it big or do they feel like she owed them something? Maybe it's something yet to be revealed. Or did I completely miss something.

I hope the show gets picked up for another season. I like it better than Suits... which I stopped watching a couple years ago. There was way too much arguing and shenanigans between the partners and it seemed like Harvey fired Mike every other episode. It just wasn't entertaining anymore.

Edited by HollyG
48 minutes ago, HollyG said:

I don't understand the animosity towards Jessica either. It seems like Jessica has bent over backwards trying to make life easier for her Aunt, Angela & kids. Are they upset (or jealous) because she made it big or do they feel like she owed them something? Maybe it's something yet to be revealed. Or did I completely miss something.

I hope the show gets picked up for another season. I like it better than Suits... which I stopped watching a couple years ago. There was way too much arguing and shenanigans between the partners and it seemed like Harvey fired Mike every other episode. It just wasn't entertaining anymore.

I'm waiting for Jessica to unload on her cousin cuz this has been weeks of bad treatment... In the show's history I think Jessica's father and his Cuban wife kept themselves separated from his family.. So I get the feeling Angela grew up hearing about her bougie uncle and his non black wife and their kid who are rich and fancy and don't associate with them.. And I guess once Jessica got older she didn't really reach out either...plus from the first episode.. It looks like in an attempt to make up for her side of the family Jessica tried to keep them from getting evicted.. But once she saw that it wasn't an option.. She settled and took the job to try and help the community and her family that way.   

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I'm waiting for Jessica to unload on her cousin cuz this has been weeks of bad treatment... In the show's history I think Jessica's father and his Cuban wife kept themselves separated from his family.. So I get the feeling Angela grew up hearing about her bougie uncle and his non black wife and their kid who are rich and fancy and don't associate with them.. And I guess once Jessica got older she didn't really reach out either...plus from the first episode.. It looks like in an attempt to make up for her side of the family Jessica tried to keep them from getting evicted.. But once she saw that it wasn't an option.. She settled and took the job to try and help the community and her family that way.   

Right, so I still don't see why Angela is bent out of shape because a cousin she doesn't know very well didn't offer to help.  Hell, I have a lot of cousins & extended family that I don't really know that well. And it certainly doesn't mean that any of them that are doing well owe me anything. (or vice versa)  Unless the writers care to explain it further, then she has a ridiculous chip on her shoulder... 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, HollyG said:

Right, so I still don't see why Angela is bent out of shape because a cousin she doesn't know very well didn't offer to help.  Hell, I have a lot of cousins & extended family that I don't really know that well. And it certainly doesn't mean that any of them that are doing well owe me anything. (or vice versa)  Unless the writers care to explain it further, then she has a ridiculous chip on her shoulder... 

Especially this latest blow-up.. After she's given her a place for her and her children to sleep and be safe.. She catches a fit because Jessica is helping Yoli's mom instead of... I'm not even sure what she wanted... Seemingly forgetting that the immigration issue is personal to Jessica as well.. As her mom came from Cuba( and I think the show made it seem like she came illegally) but I guess Angela feeling guilty trumps all that... Arrgh I can't help but take this whole thing to heart.. Because to some members of my mothers extended family.. And to most of my stepdad's family we are Jessica.. And I grew up hearing them make snide comments about how he married into "light skin money" and left his real family behind abd what not

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Maybe he's unloading to Keri because he just killed McGann.  Who knows?

I fully support this theory. 

15 hours ago, crossover said:

I thought she felt guilty about dropping the lawsuit for the job with the mayor's office. 

I think she wasn't upset about Angela not signing the deal because she knows a grift when she sees one.  And she saw just that in Salazar, who we did NOT see at the City Council meeting.  I'm fairly convinced that Angela is a narcissist - she's very invested in being seen as the hero, the savior. Whether it's "saving" her mother and her boys, or her neighbors.  None of those people are being served by her actions, which is what Jessica was trying to tell her.  She's gonna mess around and lose her job, and it'll probably be one more thing for which she blames Jessica. I wish her mom would take the boys back to Jessica's and leave her dumb self on the streets.  Not sure why the boys have to suffer due to her hubris.        

I chuckled at Bobby expecting Keri to continue the affair now that it is out in the open.  I'm glad she didn't buy that "ILY" crap from him, but I doubt it lasts.  It would be sweet poetic justice if Stephanie AND Keri leave him alone.         

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Especially this latest blow-up.. After she's given her a place for her and her children to sleep and be safe.. She catches a fit because Jessica is helping Yoli's mom instead of... I'm not even sure what she wanted... Seemingly forgetting that the immigration issue is personal to Jessica as well.. As her mom came from Cuba( and I think the show made it seem like she came illegally) but I guess Angela feeling guilty trumps all that... Arrgh I can't help but take this whole thing to heart.. Because to some members of my mothers extended family.. And to most of my stepdad's family we are Jessica.. And I grew up hearing them make snide comments about how he married into "light skin money" and left his real family behind abd what not

Angela just frustrates me to death! With her attitude, she is the last person I'd want to be around, let alone help. 

• Love 4

Stephanie has declared she will not be The Good Wife when Bobby's trash blows up. We'll see about that. Often the wife gets blamed--via whisper campaign--for her POS husband's dalliances. Stephanie still seems to value her image.

Ditto comments upthread, Angela is so tiresome to me. Maybe Jessica should sue for temporary custody of the kids so they're not forced to suffer for Angela's ego trip.

I think it'd be great if they'd get on with whatever Nick's resolution is going to be. I'm tired if his moping around with the gigantic dark cloud over his head. And I hope he did kill McGann because that guy has worn out his welcome too AFAIC. This show needs a much better Big Bad.

• Love 2