Type keyword(s) to search

The Real True Crime The Show Covers And What May Be Covered In Future Seasons: Into The Weeds

Bort

Mindhunter has tackled the likes of Kemper and Manson. Discuss this and speculate about what may be tackled in future seasons. Ted Bundy? Texas Killing Fields?

• Love 1

That might be slightly out of the wheelhouse of the show and perhaps later in history than the show will cover, but the Yosemite Slayer would be interesting, I think, mostly because of everything which surrounds the story. I mean, how can one family have both a kidnapping victim of a serial abuser and a serial murder? And how much are both of those events connected?

Gaskins would also be pretty interesting due to the high number of supposed victims...the guy still killed when he was already in prison.

• Love 1

It'd be really cool if they did Randy Kraft, aka the Scorecard Killer. Dude killed a bunch of handsome young men throughout California, Oregon, and even during a jaunt in Michigan. He was finally apprehended because of a DUI stop in1983 when the police found Randy with a fresh corpse beside him. They thinks there's A LOT more than the official victim count, but Randy's not talking.

I learned about him through a really awesome narrative written by a man who believes that he encountered Randy in 1980  when he was a 19-year old marine.

Reading the story above, I wonder about two things…

One: Which German short story is he talking about?

Two: If we assume that the story is true (not that I think he is lying, but maybe the guy wasn't Kraft after all. Memories are strange things), maybe the reason why Kraft let him go was how he reacted to the notion of sex. I suspect most of his victims reacted by either revulsion or curiosity - the former would have most likely angered Kraft and the latter would have excited him (after all, he saw supposedly straight men as a challenge). A victim which gently lets him down because he is simply not interested might have been the absolute exception.

Ted Bundy, when he was giving them advice on the Green River Killer, which gave them insight into Bundy's behavior at a time when Ted was still denying he killed anyone.  

Larry Gene Bell - killed Shari Faye Smith in South Carolina.  He called her family several times before giving directions to her body.  He then started calling her sister.  He would call collect, saying the call was from Shari Faye.  He also killed a younger girl.  

Those that stalk/attack the famous - Arthur Bremmer, Mark David Chapman, John Hinckley, Robert Bardo.

Into the 80s, as Douglas et al. were getting known for their work, they often were called in by LE when  a suspect had been identified and they wanted guidance on how to handle an interrogation, get a confession.  It would be interesting to see that portrayed. 

An unsolved case they worked - the Tylenol murders in Chicago; seven people were killed.  No one ever charged,  there were copycat murders, and it changed the way over the counter medications were produced and packaged.  

• Love 4
On 8/28/2019 at 5:32 AM, swanpride said:

Reading the story above, I wonder about two things…

One: Which German short story is he talking about?

Two: If we assume that the story is true (not that I think he is lying, but maybe the guy wasn't Kraft after all. Memories are strange things), maybe the reason why Kraft let him go was how he reacted to the notion of sex. I suspect most of his victims reacted by either revulsion or curiosity - the former would have most likely angered Kraft and the latter would have excited him (after all, he saw supposedly straight men as a challenge). A victim which gently lets him down because he is simply not interested might have been the absolute exception.

I've read people who doubt the story, but I tend to believe it because a lot it just rings true to me, even though this story by nature just isn't verifiable. Unless that polaroid is somehow found (and I honestly doubt Randy Kraft would have kept it), there's not much you can do to prove the story beyond verifying that Jay Roberts was indeed stationed in that area in the spring/summer of 1980. The details of the story match up to the general M.O., from the alcohol likely laced with sedatives up to the fact that Randy was trying to get Jay to "loosen up his belt", as Randy often strangled his victims with their own belts. Also, someone else pointed out that Jay Roberts at the time of his story looked a lot like a guy named Paul Fuchs, a 17-year old that Randy murdered in 1976.

My personal read is that if it was Randy, he let him go because Jay didn't pass out and because Jay had not "submitted" to him. That was what made him special.

It could also have been an entirely different person because there really did seem to be no shortage of male serial killers in California during the early 1980's, but something tells me that Jay was with someone that at the very least was going to rape him, but Jay managed to get out of there before anything else happened. I really think that was the difference between life or death here- Jay didn't get blotto (I think he was enjoying the conversation too much) and thus he didn't pass out.

Anyway, since the show did cover Candyman (which I'm still shocked about because that is such an obscure case despite how many people Dean Corll murdered), I'm hoping that Kraft get mentioned. I mean, he was arrested in 1983, and he still denies everything to this day despite the fact that he was found with a still-warm corpse beside him. That could be an interesting interview.

12 hours ago, Calvada said:

Larry Gene Bell - killed Shari Faye Smith in South Carolina.  He called her family several times before giving directions to her body.  He then started calling her sister.  He would call collect, saying the call was from Shari Faye.  He also killed a younger girl.  

I think there's a strong possibility of this one being in a future show because it was covered in the book, Mindhunter. And he spent a lot of time on it in the book.

Can we assume all of the stories covered in the show come from those in the book, since that's what the show is based on?

• Love 1
On 8/30/2019 at 2:09 AM, swanpride said:

Possible too, but didn't the Kraft usually roofie his victims? Though I guess he could have started to use drugs exactly because too many escaped by not getting drunk enough before escaping….

Jay thinks that he was roofied because he just barely managed to leave, get on his bike, and get back to his living quarters, and then he promptly passed out. 

The Shari story is so depressing. I saw the t.v. movie based on it, and he made her write a letter. I also don't know if the detail that he kidnapped her RIGHT before her high school graduation is true or not, but that's just depressing. She was robbed of her entire life, but especially such a huge milestone.

Well, that, and he didn't have more than a couple of drinks. The vibe that I got is that Jay really liked having conversation and not getting blitzed as would be his usual M.O. as a 20-year old marine on leave. And the thing to remember about Kraft is that he always waited until they passed out- almost like he saw that as his victims giving him "permission" to possess them. I guess because Jay didn't pass out and said "no", Kraft let him leave.

The close call stories are pretty interesting to me. Dennis Rader was stalking a woman he  planned on killing in 1979, but on the night he planned to do, she stayed with her friends pretty late and he gave up and didn't kill anybody else for another 6 years.

Anyway, Youtuber Georgia Marie just did a video on him. She includes a lot of his testimony.

I think Dennis was tripped up by the fact that he just isn't that smart, and he was jealous of the fame that kills like Ted Bundy have. I can't believe he was stupid enough to believe the cops when they told him that they couldn't trace floppy disks.

I do think if he hadn't been caught, he probably would have committed another murder by the end of 2005. He definitely was gearing up to get going again.

Edited by methodwriter85

They might do the Trailside Killer. Lois Rinna, mother of actress Lisa Rinna  is one of his early victims. She's one of the few survivors. He was caught in the 80s.

They might do the Grim Sleeper. He wasn't caught until the aughts. His victims were Black and poor, sometimes prostitutes and drug users. The police didn't investigate a bunch of the murders because they considered the victims subhuman and not worthy of justice.

Texas Killing Fields would be interesting, although since those are largely unsolved to this very day, I can't imagine how they'd incorporate it, unless it were to document how sometimes profiling still gets you nothing.

Went back and forth between putting this here and small talk. Since it's about one of the serial killers from the show, here it is. If your life just isn't complete without having heard Ed Kemper read aloud the book Flowers in the Attic, you're in luck.  It's actually kind of cool that Vacaville has inmates read books aloud for the blind, but it's still surreal. Kemper has a long list of titles he read.

Edited by Darian
  • Love 2

No one ever caught but the "New Bedford/Highway 140/prostitute" murders in the late 1980s. Very interesting case as many were accused, including the local DA at one point. Many thought it might have been connected to the Green River killer.

I think the GSK maybe a future topic down the road even though the thought is the guy was all over the place and maybe hard to really write. The idea that he was never really a suspect ever is also one of the reasons it may never happen. But then they do have BTK as their over lining theme so who knows. Link to article:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/cold-case-cure-inside-new-era-of-hunting-serial-killers?utm_source=pocket-newtab