Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Doomsday

(edited)
When a man is found murdered inside his supposedly impenetrable doomsday fallout shelter, the squad must figure out how and why he was targeted. Jane finds it difficult to focus on the case when she discovers Korsak is looking into retirement and Frankie is keeping a secret of his own. Tuesday, July 8, at 9 p.m. (ET/PT)

Episode Promotional Photos

Angie Harmon simply melts into this role. I don't see Angie when I'm watching this show .. I see Jane. From her stance, to her wardrobe, to her make-up. I love that the show has allowed this character to look like a detective and not a supermodel. All while Angie's beauty never gets lost while never overshadowing.  

PS: Those promo pics? Jane Rizzoli is so bad ass! 

Edited by Samantha84
  • Love 1

As I said a couple episodes ago, Rizzoli's pregnancy is not realistic in how she regards Casey.  She said a couple episodes ago, she was raising the baby herself.  I said the writers were not being true to the character, that Rizzoli would never do that,  that would be unfair to Casey, and other commenters said I was reading the dialogue too literally .... that she wasn't cutting Casey out. ,,, Lo and behold, in tonight's episode, she offers her baby to Maura to raise if she ever dies.   Now, I am pretty sure that Casey would be the one raising the baby..... unless the writers meant what I said they meant and they are cutting Casey out of the picture. 

This episode has been the best so far this season.

It was balanced and there was very little of Angela, which is best. The less we see her in an episode and the more we see of the others solving the murder the better.

And how cute was Maura with the bike? She is so thoughtful and sweet.

Sasha is so funny. It is why Maura is one of my favorite characters on TV.

"French women don't shave their underarms. She's a lesbian. Hay. She's also on her first trimester.. Pregnant." I love this episode. Maura was hilarious!!!

I liked the episode, although the idea of locking myself up in an airtight metal room with no windows makes me a little claustrophobic.  I guess I could never be a 'prepper'.   

Is it just me, or have they been using Susie (from the morgue) more than before?  Usually, she just comes in, says a line or two, and leaves.  She had a good scene with Korsak last week, and was having a good conversation with Frankie this week.  I like that she's being featured more prominently (at least it seems to me), but I worry that we're being set up for something to happen to her character.  Personally, I would like to see her get together with Frankie.  I like seeing her having more to do.

• Love 1

Yes more Susie and less annoying Angela is best. Susie should be utilize more than Angela. She was almost unbearable last night. If Maura wasn't so funny I would have been so annoyed with Angela.

Sasha was truly brilliant last night. Her comedic timing is just spot on. I was laughing so hard.

Is it just me, or have they been using Susie (from the morgue) more than before?  Usually, she just comes in, says a line or two, and leaves.  She had a good scene with Korshak last week, and was having a good conversation with Frankie this week.  I like that she's being featured more prominently (at least it seems to me), but I worry that we're being set up for something to happen to her character.  Personally, I would like to see her get together with Frankie.  I like seeing her having more to do.

I'm guessing that with Frost gone they are feeling the need to have a non-white face show up on the screen every now and then.

• Love 1

I had this on in the background while painting my dining room, so I didn't pay much attention to it.  I did, however, absorb enough to yell, "Shut up, Angela!" over my shoulder.  She needs to back the hell off.

Why would Jane want to be Daphne?  Danger-prone Daphne never figures anything out; all she does is fall through trap doors and wait for the gang to rescue her.  Velma can be annoying, sure, but at least she can put clues together.  First mooning over high heels, and now wanting to be "the pretty one"?

BooksRuld I was cracking up so hard when Maura kept saying it wrong.

Bastet - Because she knows that Daphne is Maura and she was just probably playing with Maura.

Sasha totally owned this episode. And Susie and Frankie, very cute. And I love to see more of her.

Rambler, I so agree with you. I hope they get another African American actor or Hispanic or Middle Eastern to replace Frost.

I am all for the Susie/Frankie ship!  I also loved this episode, but I sure wish they didn't have to bring up Jane's pregnancy in every freaking scene. It's bad enough that is is pregnant (bad move for the show in my opinion), but to keep it in the forefront of a crime show is driving me insane, and possibly away.

• Love 1

I'm guessing that with Frost gone they are feeling the need to have a non-white face show up on the screen every now and then.

SPOILER WARNING  

Idara Victor will join R&I soon as "Nina Holiday," per her Twitter and Norman Buckley's bts photo. 

https://twitter.com/...or/with_replies

normanbuckley.tumblr.com/post/90579149714/crime-solving-on-rizzoliandisles-deepthoughts

As I said a couple episodes ago, Rizzoli's pregnancy is not realistic in how she regards Casey.  She said a couple episodes ago, she was raising the baby herself.  I said the writers were not being true to the character, that Rizzoli would never do that,  that would be unfair to Casey, and other commenters said I was reading the dialogue too literally .... that she wasn't cutting Casey out. ,,, Lo and behold, in tonight's episode, she offers her baby to Maura to raise if she ever dies.   Now, I am pretty sure that Casey would be the one raising the baby..... unless the writers meant what I said they meant and they are cutting Casey out of the picture. 

I know! All I could think when Jane said that was that Casey would have something to say about that because he's the father and he has a right to his child. I'm wondering if they planned this out and were going to have Casey die off screen so Jane could have a baby and do all pregnancy things with Maura and then Lee Thompson Young died and now they can't do that.

• Love 1

Actually I think it's rather realistic that Jane at least feel Maura out about guardianship. Casey's in a war zone and has already been seriously injured once. And it doesn't sound like there have been any decisions made about him making lifestyle changes due to the baby either.  Should something happen to Jane, Casey won't be taken off active duty because he's a single parent. He'll still be deployed and expected to find childcare. 

I can't see Jane denying Casey his parental rights or limiting his time with the baby if he comes back from his deployment. But right now he is overseas and it's prudent for her to consider herself a single parent and therefore plan accordingly. 

• Love 1

==Actually I think it's rather realistic that Jane at least feel Maura out about guardianship. Casey's in a war zone and has already been seriously injured once. And it doesn't sound like there have been any decisions made about him making lifestyle changes due to the baby either.  Should something happen to Jane, Casey won't be taken off active duty because he's a single parent. He'll still be deployed and expected to find childcare.

I can't see Jane denying Casey his parental rights or limiting his time with the baby if he comes back from his deployment. But right now he is overseas and it's prudent for her to consider herself a single parent and therefore plan accordingly.==

Yes, Casey is off somewhere on deployment and would have to do something about child care... until he could retire.  He's also a colonel or general, not likely to get killed or injured in battle now.  He makes good money and could provide quality child care.  The character, Rizzoli, the way she's been portrayed in the show until now would not make decisions like this without the agreement of Casey, as he is a responsible and caring person (no more selfish than Rizzoli).   The writers are running over Rizzoli's family sense and her supposed 'love' for Casey.  Rizzoli should has brought Casey into that discussion with Maura and said 'if something happens to me and Casey needs someone to care for the baby.....'.   Single parents who think their other half is a decent caring being would not deny them their rights to their child.  Has Casey been shown to be a scumbag?  Furthermore, what are Angela and Frankie to think about this request... not just cutting Casey out but cutting them out also?It's totally unrealistic in the Boston American Italion culture. 

I agree. But the show has a tendency to forget that other people exists unless they bring them back in.

Look at Hope and Cailin when Maura went to prison. It was all over the news and yet, we didn't see Hope or Cailin visit? It is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is that Jane gives guardianship to her unborn baby to Maura.

Also as much as I don't like Casey I just don't see Casey as the type to not want to get involved in the baby's life. Yes, he and Jane broke up but baby is another story. They are writing it as if he doesn't care at all.

(edited)
Furthermore, what are Angela and Frankie to think about this request... not just cutting Casey out but cutting them out also?It's totally unrealistic in the Boston American-Italian culture.

I've been thinking about this, only because guardianship of my nephew was a recent topic in my family. Since I don't see Maura cutting the baby off from the Rizzoli's they might be just fine with it. Tommy is struggling with his own life right now and already has a child that he's not capable of parenting full-time. Frankie is just starting a very demanding career, would also be a single parent and doesn't have the monetary resources that Maura has (although I do hope Jane/Casey would be leaving plenty of life insurance). Angela is also struggling financially and still living in Maura's guesthouse, not to mention is at least in her mid-to-late 50's and has already raised her children. She might not want to start all over again (that was my mother's stance when asked about guardianship).

Maura has the resources (ability to hire a nanny, room in the house, at least some control over her work hours) that the Angela/Frankie/Tommy don't. And if she is willing and able to care of the baby, then why not? Frankie/Tommy are still uncles and Angela is still Grandma.

I don't know enough about Casey's family to factor them into the equation.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 1

isn't it interesting that Janet Tamaro didn't introduce us to any of Casey's family?  Then again, Casey didn't even have Sunday dinner once with the Rizzoli clan.  

Jane asking Maura to take care of the baby if something happened to her rubbed me wrong. Sorry but it did. What about Angela & Frankie & the child's father, Casey?! Yeah, their LBFFs and it was a cute moment but really?!?! 

(edited)

Because even though she loves Frankie and Angela, she trust Maura the most. She knows that out of the three, Maura can provide the most. As for Casey, who knows what is going on with him.

And by the way, the show is called Rizzoli & Isles. It is about Jane and Maura. They are best friends. If you remember, Jane said to Maura she would her kidney to Maura, no questions asked. But she would have second thoughts about doing it for Frankie.

Edited by IndependentMind
  • Love 2
(edited)

Should something happen to Jane, Casey won't be taken off active duty because he's a single parent. He'll still be deployed and expected to find childcare.

That's true up to a point, but there are exceptions. In cases where a single parent has exhausted all reasonable options for having someone else care for their child, they can apply for an honorable discharge. That happened to someone I know - single parent, child's grandparent had a serious illness, parent got a discharge.

I think the show's reality is something closer to this: 

I'm wondering if they planned this out and were going to have Casey die off screen so Jane could have a baby and do all pregnancy things with Maura and then Lee Thompson Young died and now they can't do that.

I have a feeling that the plan from the beginning was to have Jane get pregnant by someone expendable, so that she and Maura could basically have a baby together.

Edited by vera charles