Type keyword(s) to search

Where'd You Go, Bernadette (2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Directed by Richard Linklater, from a screenplay by Linklater, Holly Gent, and Vincent Palmo Jr. It is based upon the novel of the same name by Maria Semple. It stars Cate Blanchett, Billy Crudup, Kristen Wiig, Emma Nelson, James Urbaniak, Judy Greer, Troian Bellisario, Zoë Chao and Laurence Fishburne.

Just saw it. It was...ok. It followed the book pretty closely until the last 20% or so.

The "explanation" parts like the video and her talk with her mentor seemed to go on forever.

I did not care for the book so I'm not even sure how we ended up at this movie.

• Love 2

Never read the book, but I enjoyed this. I do tend to be a fan of a quirky movie and this fit that description. Cate Blanchette plays a very good antisocial person and the actress who played the daughter was good. I'm normally not a Kristen Wiig fan but I liked her here. 

The story was far fetched but enjoyable. And the scenery was gorgeous. (Once they got out of that ramshackle house- particularly jarring right after the Addams Family trailer!)

• Love 3
On 8/20/2019 at 12:41 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Inside Richard Linklater’s complete rewrite of Where’d You Go, Bernadette

I read this book several years ago and liked it but this article didn’t make me want to run out and see the movie. 

Thanks, that was helpful to catch back up on what the movie was missing! I didn't remember the plot very well but the movie felt much, much lighter and simpler. Shorter time frame. Definitely thought Bernadette was gone longer & was more absent and it turns out that's correct.

I read it in a book club and pretty much liked it, didn't love it, and didn't really plan to see the movie. But after a year of pandemic cinema, we're running out of movies! We have Netflix DVD and are starting to watch almost anything.