Type keyword(s) to search

Creature Feature: Bad Movies, Strange Hosts

• Start Topic

Creature Features was a generic title for a genre of horror TV format shows broadcast on local U.S. television stations throughout the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. The movies broadcast on the various shows generally classic and cult horror movies of the 1930s to 1950s, the horror and science-fiction films of the 1950s, British horror films of the 1960s, and the Japanese "giant monster" movies of the 1960s, and 1970s.

Who else remembers watching bad horror movies hosted by eccentric hosts on Saturdays? I used to watch Doctor Paul Bearer on WTOG (Tampa/St Pete) on Saturday afternoons in the 1970's and 80's. Good times! Who was your favorite host?          

• Love 3

Although she quickly became syndicated nationally, then internationally, Cassandra Peterson DID start her Elvira, Mistress of the Dark routine on a local LA station in 1981.  It seems they were SO intent on paying her and the skeleton crew as little as possible that they let her buy all the 'rights' to franchising,etc. rather than give her a raise. It wound up being a good thing that she did because not too long after the show became syndicated, her original station went belly up! Anyway, I liked how she pulled NO punches re how hokey the movies she was hosting were and, quite often, her commentary wound up being more entertaining than the movies themselves! LOL

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

From the time I was 3 years old until I got into college I used to watch a show called...Creature Features(!) on ch.2 out of Oakland. Bob Wilkins was the host, a deliberately low-key nerdy guy who always had a cigar going. He was always on Saturday nights, with movies ranging from the classics (Night of the Living Dead) to pure schlock (The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant). For a while he was doing a double feature on Saturdays, then switched to one movie each on Friday and Saturday. He also ran the old Flash Gordon serials before the movies, and did interviews with various actors and celebrities. Eventually he left the show, and it was taken over by John Stanley, who wasn't half as good.

Incidentally, the original theme music for the show was "Gotham City Municipal Swing Band" from an album that was put out by Neal Hefti, the guy who did the theme for the old Batman TV series.

-------------------------------------------------------------

For a few years there was another show that ran on ch. 44 in San Francisco called The Ghoul. It was a syndicated show from Detroit. Mostly the host just ran the usual assortment of movies, with some commentary and an occasional bad comedy skit.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Nicmar said:

another blonde chick from USA in the early 90's up all night not sure what her name

Rhonda Shear.

Gilbert Gottfried also hosted the same show.  I think he did Friday nights, and she did Saturday nights, which had slightly more racy selections.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Rhonda Shear.

Gilbert Gottfried also hosted the same show.  I think he did Friday nights, and she did Saturday nights, which had slightly more racy selections.

yes! that's her,  I didn't care Gilbert Gottfried I thought he was annoying

• Love 1