Type keyword(s) to search

The Art of Racing in the Rain (2019)

QQQQ
  • Start Topic

From the studio website:

Based on the best-selling novel by Garth Stein, THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN is a heartfelt tale narrated by a witty and philosophical dog named Enzo (voiced by Kevin Costner). Through his bond with his owner, Denny Swift (Milo Ventimiglia), an aspiring Formula One race car driver, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition and understands that the techniques needed on the racetrack can also be used to successfully navigate the journey of life. The film follows Denny and the loves of his life - his wife, Eve (Amanda Seyfried), their young daughter Zoe (Ryan Kiera Armstrong), and ultimately, his true best friend, Enzo. In theaters 8/9/2019.

I read the book and I'm kind of curious how they're going to handle

Denny getting falsely accused of statatory rape by the teenage cousin after he rejects her

in light of the #MeToo era.

And I'd like to add that Eve's parents are horrible awful scumbags that deserve to burn in seven hells.

On 7/11/2019 at 12:18 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I read the book and I'm kind of curious how they're going to handle

Reveal spoiler

Denny getting falsely accused of statatory rape by the teenage cousin after he rejects her

in light of the #MeToo era.

If anyone is interested,

Spoiler

this was eliminated from the movie.  Instead it becomes a case of Eve's dad claiming Denny assaulted him.  During a scuffle dad is injured when Denny pushes him away.  Eve's mom initially lies that she saw an assault happen, but then breaks down and admits she didn't see anything and the case is dropped.  This change to the story makes the parents seem even worse.  In the book I can understand how there might be some worry about Zoe if the story the teen girl tells is true, but here their attempt to get custody is completely based on their own lie.

Anyway, the movie itself is wonderful.  Heartbreaking and uplifting like the book.  Milo was perfect, of course.  Most credit goes to the beautiful pups who played Enzo.  I cried from the very first scene, and all the way home.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

If anyone is interested,

Reveal spoiler

this was eliminated from the movie.  Instead it becomes a case of Eve's dad claiming Denny assaulted him.  During a scuffle dad is injured when Denny pushes him away.  Eve's mom initially lies that she saw an assault happen, but then breaks down and admits she didn't see anything and the case is dropped.  This change to the story makes the parents seem even worse.  In the book I can understand how there might be some worry about Zoe if the story the teen girl tells is true, but here their attempt to get custody is completely based on their own lie.

Anyway, the movie itself is wonderful.  Heartbreaking and uplifting like the book.  Milo was perfect, of course.  Most credit goes to the beautiful pups who played Enzo.  I cried from the very first scene, and all the way home.

Yikes. Well, in the book it was implied that

the parents knew or at least suspected that the girl was lying but didn't care (at least the dad didn't) because they thought Zoe would be better off with them anyway and Denny wasn't good enough for Eve and Zoe blah blah blah...but yeah this is way worse.

. I can't believe Denny would even let them be a part of Zoe's life after that. It's more than acceptable to cut off toxic in laws from your child's life. He should have at least told them to go to hell.

• Love 1

The plot was predictable, but I thought the dog(s) who played Enzo was a delight & Kevin Costner's voice was perfect.  Milo Ventimiligia is always so good at playing a Dad & I enjoyed him in this movie.  Tissues are definitely needed! 

10 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

The plot was predictable,

Yeah, the appeal of the book is the charm of the narrator, Enzo.  You get a lot more of his insights into human behavior and his commitment to being prepared for reincarnation.  It's delightful.

• Love 2

I am absolutely insane about dogs, especially golden retrievers, who are my favorite, but I'm not going to see this, because everytime there's a movie about a dog he/she dies in the end and I end up bawling my eyes out.

• Love 3

I loved the movie!  I’ve read the book multiple times.  I even named my dog Enzo after the character in the book.  I was afraid the movie would ruin it but I thought it was great.  Slight changes to the plot, but still very true to the book.  Yes, I cried.  Of course.

edited to add:  I waited to read reviews until after I’d Seen it so as not to pollute my opinion.  I’m not surprised at the lukewarm reception.  I adapt my expectations based on the type of movie.  I wasn’t expecting this to be, say, the caliber of Sophie’s Choice.  It’s going d for what it is.

i will say I thought the trailers for it didn’t catch my interest. If I didn’t already know the book I might not have seen it. I didn’t think Kevin was the right voice for Enzo. After seeing it, Kevin turned out to be a good choice.  For me the weakness was Amanda Seyfreid.  

The eogvtrainers did a brilliant job.  It’s easy to forget the dog(s) are responding to commands as they seem so natural in the movie.

Edited by Woopwoopkitty
Added more stuff
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2019 at 11:09 PM, Camille said:

I am absolutely insane about dogs, especially golden retrievers, who are my favorite, but I'm not going to see this, because everytime there's a movie about a dog he/she dies in the end and I end up bawling my eyes out.

GF.  Sit by me.  If there's a dog/people Sophie's Choice moment...people be screwed.  

"Marly" was a crap movie, but I lost my damn mind.  Hell, I even cry when cartoon dogs get into predicaments like "The Secret Life of Pets"

I am a shameless, bawling, shoulder shaking, don't jack with the dog kinda gal.  So I'll probably go see the film in the middle of a weekday, with stadium seating.

• Love 1