Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Torn

• Start Topic

I am surprised nobody has posted here yet. I probably have more thoughts but seeing Mariana ask for help with her bra was just silly directing, as in "we need to have Cierra kind of showing her body a little". Meh.

• Love 4

I am not surprised she failed the bar- most people take classes and give up their lives completely to study.  Callie was partying and doing everything BUT study, it seems.

I like the guy who plays Marianna’s boss.  I just do.  I’d like to learn more about the character, and I really like that he is trying to even the playing field, even if it is tone deaf and inept.  He’s trying.

• Love 5

I've said it before, but I really don't want Davia and Dennis to become a couple. I love their frienship and really hope it stays that way. 

Are we supposed to be on Callie's side over all of this? Because I'm really not. Maybe I'm finally too old for this show? I mean, listen, I'm a social justice advocate. I go to protests, I write letters to appropriate people, I will stand up for people who don't have a voice of their own. But even bright eyed and bushy tailed 20 somethings don't really think they can take on an entire system or a person like a conservative jude and change them, do they? We don't need to live in an echo chamber, and it is good to get the experience, but she knew what she was signing up for. And to go in an yell at him like she did is just so unprofessional. You want to yell and scream, go to a protest or a march. You want to be an influence on someone like a judge, you do it in a professional manner and don't yell at him. 

Also, I have heard that it is not terribly uncommon to fail the bar the first time you take it. I'm sure it is devastating, I had to take an exam for my profession as well and was terrified that I would fail. But the bar is known for not always passing the first time, right? 

• Love 4

So Callie is just totally cool with Malika stealing her card to yell at her boss? Really? I can see her forgiving her pretty quickly, but right away? Maybe Callie realized that this is exactly the kind of thing she would do, even if it could get her friend fired, so being pissed at her would be hypocritical. She really is probably better at the ACLU or something, she sucks at debating and following rules, she wants to yell at people she hates and try and change things while feeling important. Callie and good life choices have never really gone well together. 

Poor Callie, but considering we have almost never seen her actually studying, its not that surprising. I can imagine its devastating, but I dont think its that uncommon to fail the bar the first time, hence why a lot of people intern or something for awhile before they get a "real" lawyer job. My cousin took the bar like three times before she passed! 

Evan does seem like he is trying to help (and strawberry mimosas are really good) but he can only do so much, he is only one guy, even if he is a big deal here. So is he jealous of Raj and Mariana, or just trying to follow rules? Mariana clearly is attracted to him, even if she also really likes Raj. He does really seem to want to help though. 

I hope that Davia and Dennis stay friends and dont hook up. Its not what either of them needs right now, especially Dennis. He really does need more help than Davia can give him as much as she is trying to help. She can help, but he really need to see a professional. 

So Callie picks Jamie for now, and Gael is going back to his ex? More people for the next tango dream?

All the suspense about Callie getting the results of her Bar exam when everyone knew she was going to fail was a waste of time. Of course, they cut a little bit on the slow motion sex scenes that were annoying and not sensual at all, so maybe that's how they decide to fill it up. 

3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So Callie is just totally cool with Malika stealing her card to yell at her boss? Really? I can see her forgiving her pretty quickly, but right away? Maybe Callie realized that this is exactly the kind of thing she would do, even if it could get her friend fired, so being pissed at her would be hypocritical. She really is probably better at the ACLU or something, she sucks at debating and following rules, she wants to yell at people she hates and try and change things while feeling important. Callie and good life choices have never really gone well together. 

I agree with the Malika thing. It was really pointless for Malika to do that too. She accomplished nothing. There were cameras outside, she could have yelled at the judge via TV. It would at least be something some other lawyers could try to use when dealing with him, question his impartiality in a very publicized trial.

I actually laughed in the beginning when Callie was looking for a job (?). She would never be the kind of lawyer the ACLU hires. She believes she knows best and forget that the law applies to everyone, even the laws that suck. She wouldn't last half a case. And those stilettos will not do Callie. That's not how you visit your marginalized, poor, sometimes destitute clients in jails, prison, airports and detention centers. Stilettos are not for the literal foot work.

4 hours ago, sara416 said:

I've said it before, but I really don't want Davia and Dennis to become a couple. I love their frienship and really hope it stays that way. 

I am with you. I don't get why shows cannot have opposite sex friendship that is intimate without being romantic or sexual.

• Love 6

The older woman that is Judge Wilson’s paralegal or admin assistant- I am very happy she stood up for Malika.

I absolutely do not condone what Malika did, it wasn’t productive and she could’ve been convicted of a felony (and what good would that have done her), but if it was time for someone to get a break it was her right at that moment. Callie absolutely should’ve been fired for being so careless with her badge (and as a federal clerk she had a higher duty than she displayed)- but Judge Wilson giving her another change and her quitting?!!! She just doesn’t understand how the “real world works”. I know she’s “young” to be a lawyer at only 23 because of that stupid 5yrs program, but when I graduated law school at 25 I got many a lecture about being “young” and I never would’ve acted like that. 

This bar drama upsets me because Callie would’ve already taken the bar before she started her clerkship!!!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

The older woman that is Judge Wilson’s paralegal or admin assistant- I am very happy she stood up for Malika.

I absolutely do not condone what Malika did, it wasn’t productive and she could’ve been convicted of a felony (and what good would that have done her), but if it was time for someone to get a break it was her right at that moment. Callie absolutely should’ve been fired for being so careless with her badge (and as a federal clerk she had a higher duty than she displayed)- but Judge Wilson giving her another change and her quitting?!!! She just doesn’t understand how the “real world works”. I know she’s “young” to be a lawyer at only 23 because of that stupid 5yrs program, but when I graduated law school at 25 I got many a lecture about being “young” and I never would’ve acted like that. 

This bar drama upsets me because Callie would’ve already taken the bar before she started her clerkship!!!

Understanding it is unrealistic that she would start a clerkship before taking the bar in the first place, if Callie was still working for the judge when she failed the bar, would she have lost her job? 

I know a lot of people fail the bar the first time, but it seems like it will be pretty hard for her to get a job until she passes. Seems pretty reckless to quit without knowing you had already passed it.

• Love 1
On 6/28/2019 at 7:01 PM, KaveDweller said:

Understanding it is unrealistic that she would start a clerkship before taking the bar in the first place, if Callie was still working for the judge when she failed the bar, would she have lost her job? 

I know a lot of people fail the bar the first time, but it seems like it will be pretty hard for her to get a job until she passes. Seems pretty reckless to quit without knowing you had already passed it.

If you don’t have a license when you start the job, you wouldn’t need one to continue it. Even in this universe it was so dumb for Callie to quit!!!

I just wanted to say, that I find it interesting that Judge Wilson was willing to give Callie* another chance(despite her being the worst clerk ever) and keep her employed, (despite her tone and her disrespect), yet wanted to press charges against Malika (I assume for trespassing on federal property- likely a felony). Malika was absolutely wrong for stealing Callie’s ID, but she didn’t come to destroy property, she didn’t come to threaten him, she asked him if he had a “heart”. An emotional plea is worth giving someone a felony over yet special snow flake Callie can debate tampering with federal evidence and she’s supposed to be the hero? I do like Callie quite a bit, but I don’t think she’s always seen how good she has it or being able to use her position for “good”. She’s so self righteous how would she get anything done at the ACLU?!!

*Im not including his son in this example as I don’t expect anyone to be impartial regarding their own child. 

• Love 2

As much as I dislike Callie's storyline, I will miss that Judge and the other characters in the office.  They were interesting.

Callie's forgiving Malika is beyond incomprehensible to me.  It would be a long time before I could forgive a friend who had done something like that to me, even if I understood it was done in the heat of the moment.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I just wanted to say, that I find it interesting that Judge Wilson was willing to give Callie* another chance(despite her being the worst clerk ever) and keep her employed, (despite her tone and her disrespect), yet wanted to press charges against Malika (I assume for trespassing on federal property- likely a felony). Malika was absolutely wrong for stealing Callie’s ID, but she didn’t come to destroy property, she didn’t come to threaten him, she asked him if he had a “heart”. An emotional plea is worth giving someone a felony over yet special snow flake Callie can debate tampering with federal evidence and she’s supposed to be the hero? I do like Callie quite a bit, but I don’t think she’s always seen how good she has it or being able to use her position for “good”. She’s so self righteous how would she get anything done at the ACLU?!!

*Im not including his son in this example as I don’t expect anyone to be impartial regarding their own child. 

Regarding ACLU: Callie wouldn't make it. The ACLU needs as many lawyers as they can get but they all have to really understand that bad laws apply to bad people too. It sucks, it is unfair, but a lot of laws were written to protect the ruling class and white people. And the ones that exist to try and balance things also apply to extremists and fascists. Callie cannot accept that.

To you first point, Malika is black, Callie is white. And I guess the assistant going to the judge and telling that he can destroy Malika's life was a subtle way to tell him to back off and check his racism. It was well done, not sure if most white judges would get it, or be fair. But that was a good scene. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

To you first point, Malika is black, Callie is white. And I guess the assistant going to the judge and telling that he can destroy Malika's life was a subtle way to tell him to back off and check his racism. It was well done, not sure if most white judges would get it, or be fair. But that was a good scene. 

Exactly. I am glad someone was there and was able to advocate for Malika so her life wasn’t destroyed. I wonder if Callie will ever reflect on her actions regarding her time at the clerkship. I don’t expect Callie to be a perfect character, but I expect her to have matured just a tiny bit more in the last 5yrs. 

15 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

As much as I dislike Callie's storyline, I will miss that Judge and the other characters in the office.  They were interesting.

Callie's forgiving Malika is beyond incomprehensible to me.  It would be a long time before I could forgive a friend who had done something like that to me, even if I understood it was done in the heat of the moment.

I think Callie can forgive Malika because Callie knows she’s just as impulsive, and HAS BEEN just as reckless and impulsive and people have forgiven her. Also at the end of it all Callie wasn’t even fired or punished, she quit!

• Love 3