Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Body Parts

• Start Topic

Ballet dancers spend years mastering movement but it's a fiery fight when the glassblowers are challenged to pinch, pluck and perfect molten glass into a sculpture that shows the body in movement.

Original Canadian air date: 4/17/19
Original U.S. air date: 7/12/19

Once again, the contestant who fails to follow the brief is the one who got the boot. Alex, dear, you shot yourself in the foot right at the beginning. He has brought a lot of scientific instrument ideas to the competition and I enjoyed them all, but this was not what they asked for this time.

LOVED Deborah's sculpture. That foot looked great.

Janusz was lucky that Alex missed the brief. The story was lovely, but the arm was a bit clumsy.

I wonder what Edgar would have done 🙂

• Love 4

I appreciate how much effort Janusz put into creating a realistic hand (I still can't believe the giant mitten that Deborah made for her hand in the lamp challenge), but there was something slightly off about the way the weight was on the fingers that didn't look quite right. I agreed with everyone (Janusz as well as the judges) that the color was a bit dark which didn't help either.

While I get what Alex wanted to create and represent with his lung piece, I wanted a more literal interpretation of a body in motion. But I give him credit for all of the work and technique he used to create all of it (the spinning ball inside, the balls for the top piece to turn on). When will reality show contestants learn that the most important thing is to fulfill the challenge requirements?

Deborah's foot stepping in gum got a lot of praise from the judges but I had some issues with it. The first was the major cankle she gave her piece. It wouldn't have taken much more effort to sculpt the curve of a calf to make it look like a real human leg. I agreed with the judges about the scale of the gum which also made her piece look unrealistic. I also thought the shade of pink for the gum wasn't quite right.

I really thought that Janusz and Alex would be in the finale so I'm disappointed that Alex was eliminated.

• Love 4
On 7/13/2019 at 7:07 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When will reality show contestants learn that the most important thing is to fulfill the challenge requirements?

Sometimes, yes; sometimes, no.  I've seen a contestant leave an ingredient out on Chopped and still prevail over one who used the full basket.

• Love 1

Alex was my second favorite but that piece had no movement and was the 3rd glass dome and second in as many episodes from him.  He's amazing but he was the right one gone.  

And I agree Deboarah's gum was too large (the color didn't bother me at all) but it showed off the arch beautifully and had the most movement of the three pieces.  

I liked Janusz idea, but the color was off... and more the hand was a bit clumsy.. some nailbeds or knuckles?   Slightly less bubbled in the curled fingers?  I don't know.  It just wasn't quite up to what I expected (although, to be fair) if he had more time to work on it, I imagine it would have been awesome.  

I think that dark hand color could have been balanced out if Janusz had made the blanket base a bold red or blue to balance it out rather than white with thin traces of other colors, and introduced some folds/bulges rather than having it be flat.

Alexander's idea was nice in theory, but you'd have to spin the piece fast enough to get a flickering double image of the two sets of lungs for it to really work. Could make a nice installation piece as a sped up video rather than being physically present.

Deborah's really was the best response to the challenge. I wasn't bothered by the oversized gum—it's not as if real feet are transparent either, but no one complained about that.