Type keyword(s) to search

Foreplay: Speculation

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

The show has been renewed for a second season by Netflix.  Apparently it did rather well for Netflixso it’s not really surprising.

Hooray! I had a decent amount of faith that it would, after the positive reviews, the enthusiastic reception and Netflix's soothsayers casting the bones and sifting through the chicken entrails to pronounce viewing numbers 'good'.

• Love 3

That's good news about the show being renewed. I'm probably one of the few that's not interested in Otis and Maeve getting together. I like the friendship. I like him better with Ola. She's direct but not in a way that's scary for him. I think that's what he needs. Of course his mom and her dad together will probably make things awkward.

I wonder if they'll bring Adam back or if that story is done.

• Love 2
On 2/1/2019 at 12:04 PM, festivus said:

I wonder if they'll bring Adam back or if that story is done.

The press releases indicate that the actor is set to reprise his roll so it sounds like he'll appear in some way.

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:16 PM, Irlandesa said:

The press releases indicate that the actor is set to reprise his roll so it sounds like he'll appear in some way.

I guess it's nice for the actor, to get that second season and to continue working with the rest of the cast, but I'm a bit disappointed. I didn't mind his story, but I really didn't like how it intersected with Eric's. I don't want to see a relationship develop between them, because there's no way I see that being healthy for Eric.

And I think it would be a more realistic depiction of teenage life if someone who leaves the school just kind of stops being a part of anyone's life. Especially if they've been sent off to a military school (another incongruity, in the British setting).

On 2/13/2019 at 8:17 PM, PokerNerd said:

Overall i love the casting in that everyone is compelling to watch. However, I fully expected Ola to be 5 years older than Otis. She is lovely but so much more self-assured and confident than everyone at the school. She looked more destined for the big sister role than the love interest.

I think that's what she'll end up as, to be honest. Well, as close to a big sister as one can be, after having had sex with someone. Because I'm pretty sure that the relationship with Ola will play out fairly predictably - she and Otis date for a while, Otis finds more confidence and learns a lot about himself and about relationships while Maeve is (hopefully) supportive but yearning, but eventually Ola realises that she isn't Otis' first choice, and ends things amicably.

It may be a lot messier, which would be a shame. But I'd like Ola to stick around, especially with the hints that she's bi, because that would be a new aspect to explore.

• Love 2

Let me bring these mild spoilers for S3 over from the media thread:

The third season consists of eight episodes, matching the counts of Seasons 1 and 2. In the upcoming installments, Otis (Asa Butterfield) is having casual sex, Eric (Ncuti Gatwa) and Adam (Connor Swindells) have made their relationship official (!) and Jean (Gillian Anderson) has a baby on the way. Meanwhile, new headteacher Hope (played by Girls‘ Jemima Kirke) tries to return Moordale to the pillar of excellence it’s always been — which, judging from the new episodic photos below, means spiffy new uniforms, at the very least.  Elsewhere in Season 3, “Aimee discovers feminism, Jackson gets a crush and a lost voicemail still looms,” the logline reads. “Prepare for commitment animals, alien phenomena, vulva cupcakes and much more of Madam Groff.” (via TVLine)

I kinda hope that Otis' casual sex is with Ruby - because there is little risk of either catching feelings, and having him sleeping with too many girls is a bit ooc. When Otis and Maeve eventually get together I want room for them to learn from each other and not just on an emotional level.
Ideally they string the lost voicemail out for 3 episodes max and then get serious about getting those two together. As good as some of the other storylines are, deleting the message was such a lame teen soap trope and getting them together should give them plenty of interesting material to work with.

I don't feel Eric and Adam yet, but I look forward to how they handle those two in the bedroom. Adam's big dick will be quite a challenge for a first-timer.

Not keen on whatever they have planned for Jean this season. I am sure Otis will take the baby news well 🙄

On another note: How many seasons do you think we'll get with this show? If they are in sixth form already they can only stretch it so far.

Casual sex may mean more than one partner, and I could easily see this being a montage similar to that which opened season two - lots of crazy hijinks of Otis shagging different girls. And I wouldn't be surprised if he decides that's not what he wants to do by the end of the first episode.

I'm tired of Otis/Maeve being dragged out, and if this season uses more of the tired old roadblock tricks of them hurting each other without realising it, and just missing each other and overhearing the wrongs bits of conversations, I'm out. This show claims to be a realistic and honest portrayal of sex and relationships, but a TV-style 'will they, won't they' is puerile.

Eric and Adam are just... no. I'll be skipping the scenes where Eric's abuser becomes his knight in shining armour and. vice versa, the abused becomes the bully's saviour and the only person to see his true heart. It's gross, and perpetuating some of the worst teen drama tropes.

No mention of Maeve in the promotional material, but I just hope they're not going to push another problematic relationship with Isaac after he lied and invaded her privacy at the end of season two.

I wonder if the plan is to end the show with them all going off on separate paths - Otis and Eric to university, Maeve improbably winning a scholarship of some kind to go somewhere different, Adam finding a direction of some kind.

• Love 5