Type keyword(s) to search

Pearson In The Media

Second City is a spin-off of the television series Suits; it is an upcoming American drama television series created by Aaron Korsh and Daniel Arkin that is set to premiere on USA Network. It will star Gina Torres reprising her role of Jessica Pearson.

Coming to USA in 2019.

Well, they changed the name, and without even mentioning the original (horrible!) name;

‘Suits’ Jessica Pearson Spinoff Series Starring Gina Torres Gets Title

USA Network’s upcoming Suits spinoff series will be titled Pearson, after its lead character.

The long-untitled project, from UCP, Suits creator and executive producer Aaron Korsh and executive producer Daniel Arkin, is centered on powerhouse lawyer Jessica Pearson (Gina Torres) as she adjusts to the dirty world of Chicago politics.

Co-starring alongside Torres are Simon Kassianides, Morgan Spector, Bethany Joy Lenz, Chantel Riley, Isabel Arraiza and Eli Goree

I'm really looking forward to this, mainly to see Gina strut in fabulous clothes. However, I think the name of the show is still off. People coming over from Suits will easily get the reference but potential new viewers probably aren't going to be impressed much. Wonder why the producers didn't at least go with "Jessica Pearson"?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1

Media discussion occurs....HERE!

From Deadline's coverage of TCA:

During a panel discussion for the show, the project’s creators, Suits creator and executive producer Aaron Korsh and executive producer Daniel Arkin, talked about how the offshoot will stand on its own in comparison to the mothership series.

“Jessica is the link between Suits and Pearson,” Arkin said. “It has Suits DNA but we wanted the show’s concept to be grittier, raw, more real, showing more facets of her personality and life.”

While Jessica was always calling the shots on Suits, “we are seeing her behind the ball, not knowing everything (on Pearson,)” Korsh said. “People reject her for a change.”

• Love 1

While Gina Torres definitely deserves better, there's a few things as to why it I think Pearson was canceled.

Some of the Suits audience wasn't following which led to abysmal ratings.  Another is USA Network having such a huge gap between the backdoor pilot and airing the first episode (forgetting certain details which I'm sure quite a few of us did).  The last being the ensemble.  It just didn't click.

Honestly, the first three episodes were boring.  It's probably why people jumped ship.  It also failed to grab my attention.  Suits had me hooked from the beginning.

I wish Gina all the best and hope she lands back on her feet.  Same with the cast and crew.

Edited by Utpe
15 minutes ago, Utpe said:

Another is USA Network having such a huge gap between the backdoor pilot and airing the first episode (forgetting certain details which I'm sure quite a few of us did).  The last being the ensemble.  It just didn't click.

I also think an issue was that Pearson switched genres from its core show.  Suits is a legal show.  Pearson was political. And audience who enjoys the former won't necessarily enjoy the latter.  Or be willing to follow characters from one to another.  That's not to say that it never works but I was looking forward to Pearson until I learned what it was about.

• Love 1
On 11/1/2019 at 5:25 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

‘Pearson’ Canceled After One Season at USA Network

Probably not a surprise to the viewers. Gina tweeted as much right after the finale.

I hope this doesn't leave potential producers thinking she can't carry a show. Pearson was ill-concieved in several ways, IMO, starting with the show's title.

Forget legal vs. political, this was just a horrible show. It had zero comedy, the drama was not compelling and no one, including Jessica was likable in this show.

It was clear there was no focus and direction and every episode was painful to watch. I kept waiting for this show to find it's rhythm, but it was cursed with poor story, poor execution and poor planning.

• Love 2
On 11/1/2019 at 8:25 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

‘Pearson’ Canceled After One Season at USA Network

Probably not a surprise to the viewers. Gina tweeted as much right after the finale.

I hope this doesn't leave potential producers thinking she can't carry a show. Pearson was ill-concieved in several ways, IMO, starting with the show's title.

Gina hasn't said anything on Twitter,  probably knew back in September they weren't coming back.

Show picked up steam towards the end, USA should've gave it another season.

A chance to make adjustments and drawn in more viewers.

JMO.

Gina hasn't said anything on Twitter,  probably knew back in September they weren't coming back.

Yep, she did, right after the finale aired. If you read between the lines she was saying "that's all folks" for Pearson. She definitely knew. The ratings were not great.

I just don't think that this show had any real substance.  The political scene in Chicago has been done so much in recent years on TV.

The network thought that the spin off would be a good idea, but it failed.  A good spin off was Major Crimes.  This just didn't have a purpose.

• Love 1

As well as the reasons mentioned above, my biggest problems in the show were the incredibly slow-moving plots and that everyone was so damned unlikable from Jessica to her cousin to the mayor to the city attorney to the cop chauffeur. That's no way to build and keep an audience.

I hope Gina Torres gets another chance to star in her own show. Too bad this one had so many strikes against it.

• Love 1