Type keyword(s) to search

Brightburn (2019)

• Start Topic

(edited)

It honestly just looks like a "bad seed" kid story, where the kid just happens to be not from this planet. Is that really all it takes these days to be called a superhero movie, and does everything have to be a superhero movie to get people to buy tickets ? It seems like it's sort of a manipulative advertising campaign-to stress it as a "evil" or "anti" version of a superhero movie-when really it doesn't seem to be that at all.

I mean, they didn't call any of the "Alien" movies, "superhero" movies. Even though personally, I feel Ripley absolutely is a hero. Just not other worldly powered. And I am sure the mom in this-Elizabeth Banks-will be a hero in the end, too.

It almost seems like a cash grab on the superhero craze, and that's kind of sad. Lots of movie going audiences like horror. Not my thing at all, so I won't be seeing it. I do think this will do okay financially (especially since I think the budget is less than $10 million? ), but I also think some will expect a lot more out of it, with the superhero association, and some will come out disappointed.

I will say, after seeing the trailers attached to "The Hustle" this week, that I think 2019 might be starting out to be one of the most lackluster years for movies. I liked Glass, I loved Shazam, and Run the Race. But overall, almost every trailer I've seen for other movies has just been so......meh. 

I just hope this isn't too disappointing for those looking forward to it.

Edited by IWantCandy71

I didn't realize that Brightburn was the name of the town! So basically this was Smallville if Clark went evil and killed everyone. Ha, that might have actually been better compared to how the show turned out.

The only move dumber than the dad trying to shoot Brandon -- did they not realize that wouldn't work?! -- was trying to apologize after. The mom too. I mean, seriously, you can't just try to kill someone and think an "I'm sorry" is going to help matters. Especially when that someone is an evil superbeing.

6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I didn't realize that Brightburn was the name of the town! So basically this was Smallville if Clark went evil and killed everyone. Ha, that might have actually been better compared to how the show turned out.

The only move dumber than the dad trying to shoot Brandon -- did they not realize that wouldn't work?! -- was trying to apologize after. The mom too. I mean, seriously, you can't just try to kill someone and think an "I'm sorry" is going to help matters. Especially when that someone is an evil superbeing.

What's the ratings so far for this?

Interesting week for characters named Brandon.

So, the sheriff...(Let's just leave aside a black sheriff in rural Kansas) Smart enough to correctly connect the symbols left at the scene of two "incidents" to Brandon. Dumb enough not to call for backup to take on any twelve year-old who could kill two grown adults.

I did like how they made the wasp comparison right away so you got the general idea that Brandon landing on Earth was purposeful.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Interesting week for characters named Brandon.

So, the sheriff...(Let's just leave aside a black sheriff in rural Kansas) Smart enough to correctly connect the symbols left at the scene of two "incidents" to Brandon. Dumb enough not to call for backup to take on any twelve year-old who could kill two grown adults.

Yeah characters in horror movies are really stupid.

I kept wondering why they didn't have cell phones when they needed them.  Like the uncle not calling for help, or the aunt not calling her sister to tell her that her son just showed up at her house.

Still, I really enjoyed the concept.

I just caught up with this movie and LOVED it!  I thought it got actually terrifying with how Brandon would appear in backgrounds and then his feet hovering through the bedroom when his mom was hiding under the bed.  Really well done and scary.  And violent!  I didn't realize how gross it was going to be, but that's to its credit.  And the bleak ending was perfect.  No mama-savior, and the world is f'ed.  Nice.

• Love 1
On 9/16/2021 at 7:50 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Honestly I think the plot couldn’t make up its mind about having him be born evil or the ship flipping off some kind of switching that suddenly turned him into a psychopath.

True, but that didn't bother me.  In the end, I didn't need to know why he was evil.  Just that he was.  And even had no mercy for his mother.

• Love 2