Type keyword(s) to search

I Wanna Better Version of This Show: What They Did Wrong

I absolutely loved the premise of this show, but the execution looked so bargain basement and each episode seemed like it was thrown together really quickly. How could they have done it better and possibly have had it last more than four episodes?

This is an excellent question, because I really liked the show too, I'll admit, mostly for the snark value but I didn't think it was half bad for a summer reality show.  The only thing I could possibly think of is how interesting it would be if they could have found someone who was actually a royal of some kind.  Not a real royal, but maybe the son of some minor lord or duke or something.  Surely one of those people have money and are dying to have a bunch of out of work actresses twerk for them.

Either way, I think it would be interesting because now that everyone knows the whole thing was a ruse, the only women you would get to sign up would be those who just want to get on a reality TV show at any cost, and imagine those women not even paying attention to this rich guy because they assume he is a fake!  They would be so busy causing drama so the camera is on them and everyone would look at everything he said with disbelief, even though he would be telling the truth because he really does have money and a title.  And then the double cross reveal at the end..."I have a secret....I'm not really a prince...I'm only a duke/earl/lord"

OR you get a group of girls, and a group of guys, and you tell the women that one of them is actually a minor lord and the rest are "environmental consultants" and the women have to figure it out.  Half the snarky fun was in them trying to figure out who he was.

I wouldn't have changed a thing about it. The terrible parts are what made it so good! Well, the one thing I would drop is the back-and-forth Crown suite or the boot misleading speeches at the end. That's 5 minutes wasted of him saying the same thing week after week. Instead, I would love it if he told the girl who was leaving right on the spot: I'm not prince Harry. I'm just a natural gas ditch digger named Matt. None of this is mine. I have to borrow a friend's bicycle to get to work... THEN you'd have a nice opportunity for a face-to-face freakout week after week! I think that would boost ratings to be able to see how each girl reacts to the news along the way.

• Love 2

I wouldn't have changed a thing about it. The terrible parts are what made it so good! Well, the one thing I would drop is the back-and-forth Crown suite or the boot misleading speeches at the end. That's 5 minutes wasted of him saying the same thing week after week. Instead, I would love it if he told the girl who was leaving right on the spot: I'm not prince Harry. I'm just a natural gas ditch digger named Matt. None of this is mine. I have to borrow a friend's bicycle to get to work... THEN you'd have a nice opportunity for a face-to-face freakout week after week! I think that would boost ratings to be able to see how each girl reacts to the news along the way.

Ohhh, I like that, the instant reaction.  The only reaction we really got to see was Kim's, which was what she would be pretty much forced to say unless she wanted to look like a heartless gold digger on TV...and besides, Fox had already bought the bike built for two and the fireworks so she couldn't really say what she was really thinking.

Instead, I would love it if he told the girl who was leaving right on the spot

I would have liked to see every girl be told also.  Except, wouldn't ALL the girls just say "I knew it!", except the one who wins, who of course has to say "it doesn't matter to me anyway."

I would have liked to see every girl be told also.  Except, wouldn't ALL the girls just say "I knew it!", except the one who wins, who of course has to say "it doesn't matter to me anyway."

I think it would be worth it just to see Kelley's reaction, you know she couldn't pull off the "I just knew it!" routine

They'd need to avoid any blatant lies - even using a slightly different title than the prince's real one would be bad. Just imply. Imply and let the girls come to their own conclusions. 

The "not knowing for sure" is the drama of a show like this.

Also, spending more than $4.75 on the wardrobe, sets, party decor, etc. would be a BIG improvement.

OR you get a group of girls, and a group of guys, and you tell the women that one of them is actually a minor lord and the rest are "environmental consultants" and the women have to figure it out.  Half the snarky fun was in them trying to figure out who he was.

I'm Rhondinella and I endorse this message.

• Love 1
(edited)

They'd need to avoid any blatant lies - even using a slightly different title than the prince's real one would be bad.

I think they only got the Prince Harry of Wales (which is technically not his title, though it is indeed his name) thing right once the whole show.  They usually called him Harry Prince of Wales. He's no more that than I am, and it would take a pretty major disaster for him to become it.

I didn't like when they outright lied to the girls though. The posturing was much more entertaining. Though, I do wish they would have given him a name (how about "Matt")- said with a "you should call Sir, Matt" and a bit of flair to make it sound like a fake name. Because I hated all the Babe and Sir nonsense

Edited by Skittl1321
(edited)

I loved the idea of the girls being told he's "Matt" but then the show "accidentally" doing all these things to leak that he's really Prince Harry. It seemed that the more the women had to prove it to themselves, the more they believed it.

I wish they had a butler who seemed like a butler, not a game show host. I would have liked to see body guards that didn't look like they'd just finished guarding Tony Soprano. Better quality props. Better research. Maybe have a "royal friend" of Matt's join them for a day- he had no friends or family. More tasteful princess like clothing.and definitely seeing more of the women learning the truth.

I thought Matt was actually pretty good.

As for doing a show with real royalty, there's a lot of titled people in Europe who could use the money. And some of the younger ones would probably get off on the fame aspect.

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 1
(edited)
Though, I do wish they would have given him a name (how about "Matt")- said with a "you should call Sir, Matt" and a bit of flair to make it sound like a fake name. Because I hated all the Babe and Sir nonsense

Love this idea, too. (Also, once his title was revealed, wouldn't Kingsley have started calling him "Your Highness?" Oopsie.)

I think Americans are confused enough by British titles that mixing up an actual titled Lord in there would confuse them further. Watching American TV critics consistenly failing to get Downton Abbey titles right tells me this is beyond the American viewer's paygrade.

Count me as another who liked it, but thought it was actually mismarketed. "We told 10 American women they were meeting Prince Harry...and they bought it!" (or something similar). Instead of the moments of gullibility, promote with the moments of skepticism -- make the Prince Harry ruse into a game (not a trick), and emphasize the contestants who don't believe the ruse. Rose and AnnaLisa's episodes were my favorites, because I felt there were actual stakes involved -- like "Are they actually going to tell the others? What will they think?!" Step back the producer manipulation -- there's plenty of drama to be mined in believers vs. skeptics.

Edited by Eolivet
(edited)

Also, once his title was revealed, wouldn't Kingsley have started calling him

No, sir would be correct; he'd only call him Your Royal Highness the first time he addressed him. 

https://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRoyalFamily/GreetingamemberofTheRoyalFamily/Overview.aspx

(But he wouldn't call him Sir not to his face as in "Sir would like you to go into the dining room." He'd probably say "The prince", or "Prince Harry")

Edited by Skittl1321