Type keyword(s) to search

Ron Swanson: Pyramid of Greatness

Totally stoked that I'm getting to see Mr. Ron Swanson himself (OK, his doppelganger, Nick Offerman) this evening.  He's appearing at the UP Comedy Club in Chicago, where he'll be reading from and signing copies of his book.

Ooh, ooh -- just saw that Nick is bringing a "special guest" this evening.  Could it be Megan/Tammy lending moral support? 

The special guest was Peter Sagal, host of NPR's "Wait, Wait,.. Don't Tell Me!" who conducted a conversational interview with Nick for about 45 minutes, followed by about 20 minutes of Q&A and a 10-minute reading from Nick's book, Paddle Your Own Canoe. 

I was in the second row, center and shot my hand up as soon as Peter started taking questions, so he called on me first.  I asked Nick "How did Megan come to play Tammy on P&R and what was  your favorite scene with her?"  After making a joke about come/orgasm, Nick noted that several cast members have comedically talented spouses (Will Arnett was married to Amy at the start of the show, Chris Pratt's spouse is Anna Ferris), so the show runners just sort of gravitated to writing parts for the ones who were game to appear.  They wrote Tammy II specifically for Megan, who immediately said she'd do it as long as she got to show a lot of cleavage.

As for his favorite scene with his beloved, Nick chose one that is coming up in S7, which he claims blows all their previous scenes out of the water.  "Even the motel scene?"  I shouted out.  Yes, better even than the motel scene, he averred.  We shall wait with bated breath.

Overall, it was a delightful evening.  Nick is very engaging and genuine and (as you'd imagine) sharply funny.  I love the way he laughs as himself.  It's not exactly a Ron Swanson giggle, but it's definitely goofy and real.  He declined to demonstrate his break-dancing skills, though the passage he read from his book mentioned that phase of his life.  Looking forward to reading my signed copy!

• Love 1

It was Beck Bennett. I was like "Finally, something he's great at!"

Nick Offerman guest appeared on Last Week Tonight With John Oliver in a hilarious sketch as a helpful Home Depot sales assistant who helps defuse couple's fights in the store! He's great along with Jon Benjamin(Archer and Bob's Burgers) and Sarah Baker(Vanessa from Louie) as the couple:

Edited by VCRTracking

Finally finished reading his book last night. One thing I found really interesting was how after reading his book an reading the Chris Pratt's article in EW awhile back, how they made it in hollywood was pretty much the exact opposite of each other. I mean Offerman was a classically trained stage actor who eventually transitioned into movies and TV. Pratt was a waiter in Hawaii who had a chance meeting with Rae Dawn Chong and he told her he wanted to do what she did and she cast him.

The other thing I liked about the book was how he got a few funny digs in at Jim O'Heir (Gerry/Jerry/Garry/Larry).

• Love 1

As for his favorite scene with his beloved, Nick chose one that is coming up in S7, which he claims blows all their previous scenes out of the water.  "Even the motel scene?"  I shouted out.  Yes, better even than the motel scene, he averred.  We shall wait with bated breath.

I wrote the above after seeing Nick Offerman in October.  I have to conclude that Tammy's meltdown strip-tease in the library is the scene Nick was referring to back then.

I watched the Seth Myers show, and couldn't figure out who the bearded guy was (Must be one of the writers?) until he spoke.  Can anyone tell me how a guy can grow that much beard in the two months since filming ended and this show?  Zut alors!

• Love 2

I watched the Seth Myers show, and couldn't figure out who the bearded guy was (Must be one of the writers?) until he spoke.  Can anyone tell me how a guy can grow that much beard in the two months since filming ended and this show?  Zut alors!

I thought he was a writer too.  I was shocked when he finally started talking and I realized it was Nick.  It's amazing how variations in facial hair can make a man look so different.

I'm in the middle of his book right now. I had no idea he was a real woodworker. I like how they wrote that in for his character. I told my husband and he was like oh yeah I've seen him on all these woodworking shows and he makes awesome canoes.

I had no idea he was married to Megan mullaby and I find their scenes some of the funniest on the show.