Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E21: He kama na ka pueo (Offspring of an Owl)

• Start Topic

(edited)

I wonder how the real-life singer Jennifer Nettles (lead singer of the country music group Sugarland) might feel about having her name appropriated for 1 of the characters/victims in this episode?

A similar thing, only not using the name of a celebrity, also happened in a 3-part Law & Order episode (for you big L&O fans, it was in the 3-episode arc where Curtis & Briscoe & Jack McCoy & Jamie Ross kept flying back & forth between NYC & LA to arrest the person responsible for killing a movie studio bigwig—the murder occurred in LA, but the killer dismembered the victim & got rid of various body parts & the murder weapon while flying in a private plane between the coasts). In the episode involved, the writer(s) very coincidentally used the name of my neighbor’s daughter, whom I’ve known for, like, over 40 years (wow!) as the name of the movie studio bigwig/murder victim.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a word.
  • Love 1

Yeah as it was so so. As really that Junior and Tani really are in the interest of being shipped. But that Steve and Danny with the kitty was kind of cute. In particular when the kitty was attacked by Eddie Steve's dog at the end.

Twenty years is such a very long time. But glad it came to an halt after sixty minutes LOL!

I know these things really shouldn't bother me but, continuity wise, surely the old lady would have been more likely to leave something in her will for Jerry since he befriended her and understood her loneliness during the stake-out episode, even taking her out with the gang at the end. It also seemed rather odd that Steve & Danny both dismissed her as someone they didn't know and had no feelings about when that episode clearly aimed to convey a caring attitude towards her amongst the team.

Other thoughts...Mr Pickles is great! Love him.

Also, Steve cuddling Mr Pickles is oddly hot; the debate over cat-people vs dog-people was a neat vehicle for Steve/Danno banter; Rachel/Danno is clearly still on the writers' to do list; the heart to heart between Lou and Adam was another painfully shoe-horned dialogue just kinda plopped in there, apropos of nothing else at all - the show just doesn't know what to do with all these characters now it has them. 

• Love 3

Ugh I wish someone would backhand Danny when he starts whining like a bitch. I'm not a cat person, but constantly threatened to take the cat 'to the pound' doesn't strike me as funny. I know it's a tv show, but it's not the cat's fault he lost his owner. Danny isn't under an obligation to take the cat in, but he could have worked out a better solution than to just give him up. The kid in the halfway house wanted the cat but had to wait just a few months. 

I'm surprised Steve doesn't crate the dog anyway while he's out of the house anyway. It's not overly difficult to separate the pets if it's only short term. 

• Love 2

I think the woman that Jerry befriended, was not the same woman whose apartment was co-opted for the stakeout.  Jerry befriended a neighbor in the building, played by Cloris Leachman, who engaged him to figure out who stole her houseplant.  It was a charming relationship between the two.

I also liked the small character moments here.  Steve, who has had a strange life, was very sentimentally attached to the box of kitty figurines.  I don't think he's had many tchotchkes in his life, what with a CIA mother, cop father, no local grandparents, then shipped off to military school, then the navy, then back home to the house he really hasn't changed since moving in.  Alex O'Loughlin did a great job of actor-y business showing how charmed Steve was with the kitty figurines.  I loved watching him pull them out one by one, fondle them, grinning, and showing them to an impatient Danny...

I knew Steve would end up with the cat.  I think we'll learn that Mr. Pickles now rules the house, and that Eddie was properly put in his place.   Danny was a leeetle bit over the top about Mr. Pickles, but when he scratched his scruff and made ooogie-woogie noises at him, the truth came out.  But his detrimental cat comments were overplayed.

And yet another sighting of the giant tub o'cheese balls in that suspects house.  I swear they show up in every single perp's house.  The set decorators must haul them from set to set.  I'm starting to think it is an in-joke!

• Love 1

I think we'll learn that Mr. Pickles now rules the house, and that Eddie was properly put in his place.  

I hope so.  Steve has always said he was a cat lover, so the fact that they got him a dog bugged me since the introduction Eddie.

• Love 2

Okay, Lenkov and writers, please explain to me how an act of simulated animal suffering/pain is in any way funny? How about if Steve backs his truck over Eddie when running off to a crime, that would be good for a few laughs to hear the yelping and howling. As the spouse of a veterinarian, I can tell you that when dog meets cat in real life, and dog gets cat in mouth, nothing good ever happens. And, frankly, it is simply not funny in any sense. How about Steve leaving his figurines on the counter and Mr. Pickles jumping up there and knocking them over? That would be funny, especially with his smugness towards Danny  once he found out that they were worth some money?

Going for a laugh at the expense of something suffering is just flat out wrong. You really should be ashamed, I am surprised that the actors would go along with that script and I have lost a ton of respect for Caan and O'Laughlin over it. If they don't realize it is wrong, they need some education as well.

I own a cat, now 15, that was grabbed by a large dog when he was a kitten. 250 stitches and he has had lifelong intestinal damage from it. How about if I send you some pictures, Mr. Lenkov, so you get an idea of what it is like in reality and see how it looks for a 1 1/2 pound kitten to be mauled by a dog?

You owe your fans a BIG apology, I don't care how you try to pass it off (if you try at all) in the next episode if Mr. Pickles gets the "upper hand" with Eddie.

And if anyone wants to criticize me for not having a sense of humor, stuff it. There is nothing funny about that scene/dialogue. So many other ways to write something funny about the encounter between dog and cat without violence.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I think the woman that Jerry befriended, was not the same woman whose apartment was co-opted for the stakeout.  Jerry befriended a neighbor in the building, played by Cloris Leachman, who engaged him to figure out who stole her houseplant.  It was a charming relationship between the two.

Oh wow - you are absolutely right! We didn't actually meet Mr Pickles's owner did we. You are a waaay more attentive viewer than me. Thanks for clearing that up! 🙂

• Love 1