Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E20: ON THE R-O-- ROAD A-G-- AGAIN

The DiMeos set out for one last "JJ Adventure" before he heads to college, but things get bumpy when the family takes an ill-advised shortcut. Maya and Kenneth's relationship is tested when they disagree over who knows JJ's needs best. Meanwhile, Jimmy, JJ and Dylan find fun they shouldn't be having, and Ray tests his wilderness mettle. (airs Friday, Mar. 29)

Edited by GRChereck
  • Useful 1

They find fun they shouldn't be having?

Is it going to be the kind of fun they shouldn't be having because Maya wouldn't approve of it? Maybe something that she thinks of being too dangerous for JJ?

6 hours ago, bros402 said:

They find fun they shouldn't be having?

Is it going to be the kind of fun they shouldn't be having because Maya wouldn't approve of it? Maybe something that she thinks of being too dangerous for JJ?

My initial assumption when I first read the synopsis was maybe they get into some sort of mischief (like fireworks or something); but then the promo pix were released, mostly showing JJ, Dylan and Jimmy at a diner, so (especially in light of the financial issues revealed and discussed in "S-E-- Seoul B-R-- Brothers") I figured it's possible they could be spending money they shouldn't. I guess we'll see... :)

17 hours ago, GRChereck said:

Maya and Kenneth's relationship is tested when they disagree over who knows JJ's needs best.

Just hope this means that the conclusion is that JJ  is the one who knows what JJ's needs are.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 3/24/2019 at 8:28 AM, alexvillage said:

Just hope this means that the conclusion is that JJ  is the one who knows what JJ's needs are.

According to a just-released preview clip, it sounds like their conflict in this ep may largely stem from Kenneth's promise to help JJ find his next aide at the end of "S-P-- Special B-- Boy T-I-- Time"; if they just went ahead and started their search without telling Maya or asking her permission first, I can see where she would definitely have a problem. But yeah, I hope Kenneth and Maya both keep in mind that JJ ultimately should make his own decisions, and their argument ends up being more about who (between the two of them) is more in tune with what JJ knows he needs at this point in his life. 

EDIT: Another sneak-peek has a major callback to the "JJ Care Book" from s.1 (Kenneth has not only made himself a copy, but he's been keeping it updated...). :)

Edited by GRChereck
update
  • Love 2
On 3/23/2019 at 4:19 PM, GRChereck said:

The DiMeos set out for one last "JJ Adventure" before he heads to college, but things get bumpy when the family takes an ill-advised shortcut. Maya and Kenneth's relationship is tested when they disagree over who knows JJ's needs best. Meanwhile, Jimmy, JJ and Dylan find fun they shouldn't be having, and Ray tests his wilderness mettle.

I really appreciate you posting episode descriptions when they become available. Could I possibly suggest you in add the original air date? For some reason I don't fully understand, it can no longer be in thread title itself, and sometimes I can't tell if it's an episode that's already been aired, or an upcoming one. Thanks for listening!

• Love 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I really appreciate you posting episode descriptions when they become available. Could I possibly suggest you in add the original air date? For some reason I don't fully understand, it can no longer be in thread title itself, and sometimes I can't tell if it's an episode that's already been aired, or an upcoming one. Thanks for listening!

No problem; I was able to go back and edit the original post in this thread. :) (Alas, I can't do that with previous threads, as the edit function disappears from posts that have been up 1 whole week or longer.)

EDIT: Also, keep an eye out for JJ's real-life sister in tonight's ep:

Edited by GRChereck
update
  • Love 7
(edited)

Aww, Jimmy (and JJ, and Dylan)... :')

I guess the "fun they shouldn't be having" had to do with Jimmy promising Maya (when he had to go to the nearest town to either have their punctured tires fixed or just get new ones, while she had to stay behind with an ankle injury) that he wouldn't let JJ and Dylan have any fun if they accompanied him, so their mom wouldn't miss out on anything.

So much of this season has been about figuring out how Maya will cope after her "baby boy" leaves, and to some extent how Kenneth will get along without his little buddy around (heck, even Dylan got emotional at the thought of how her brother's impending departure from the nest would "change everything" in "W-H-- Wheelchair P-L--Planet"), Jimmy was kinda lost in the shuffle in that regard until now, so I'm glad he finally got to open up. Loved how the Cat Stevens "Father and Son" cue during their diner bonding session turned out to be from the jukebox (it briefly stopped when they started to play something else, but they felt it would be better to go back to it), and Dylan was sweet (if weird) capturing one of her dad's tears in the capsule that had held the prize she'd bought; also, I loved how Jimmy was able to reassure JJ about meeting people in college (it had been slow for him at first, but he turned out OK), and JJ in turn got to reassure his dad that he'll still make time for both him and his mom. 

As for Maya and Kenneth's conflict, it seems my hope was mostly right -- it had to do primarily with the dueling care manuals (his more comprehensive and up-to-date), how Maya feels like Kenneth is second-guessing her ability to care for JJ, while Kenneth feels like she doesn't appreciate the strides her son has taken since he met him and he's being undermined by her every chance she gets -- not to mention that he had thought they were actual friends (she initially brushes him off as "friendship of convenience"), and he only came up with his own "JJ Care Book" because he wanted to be more like her, "ready for anything". I was a bit surprised she didn't object more to the fact that Kenneth had found another potential aide for JJ without her input, but it makes sense that she would go along with it if she knows this is what JJ needs and wants. 

Other observations:

-- Love how Maya and Jimmy just threw together a "Born to Be Wild" parody after Dylan pointed out that, since the road-trip announcement didn't come from them, they didn't have one prepared. xD

-- DiMeo road-trip rule: "Getting carsick isn't a choice, but letting the vomit leave your mouth is!"

-- Ray has joined the Eagle Scouts to beef up his high school resume for college; as I can recall, hasn't he also had Astronomy Club, Choir (1x10 and 1x23), Quiz Bowl (3x18 -- he got the team to Regionals and Finals), and his JJ's Dream inclusive playground (granted, not a school activity, but quite an accomplishment for a 15- or 16-year old) among things he could include, not to mention he got to be in a few of JJ's films? (EDIT: I forgot he was also briefly on the basketball team in the s.2 finale...)

Edited by GRChereck
corrections
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, bros402 said:

That was a nice episode - I really hope the show gets renewed (TV By The Numbers has it as Likely To Be Renewed)

I agree and I really, really hope they don't give us some out of nowhere cliffhanger. I think the show needs to have a season finale where JJ graduates and how the family will be dealing with him out of the house. This way, if the show isn't renewed, it's a great way to leave the characters. However, I really do want to see season 4 of how everyone is going to react. I can see Maya still having the problem, while she is FAR from being a parent still with two more kids at home and the second one on the way out the door. It be nice to see Maya and Jimmy having to worry about the other two teens at home and even Maya realizing it's "her turn" to have a career.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, GRChereck said:

Other observations:...

-- Ray has joined the Eagle Scouts to beef up his high school resume for college; as I can recall, hasn't he also had Astronomy Club, Choir (1x10 and 1x23), Quiz Bowl (3x18 -- he got the team to Regionals and Finals), and his JJ's Dream inclusive playground (granted, not a school activity, but quite an accomplishment for a 15- or 16-year old) among things he could include, not to mention he got to be in a few of JJ's films?

A nit-pick - one doesn't "join" the Eagle Scouts.  Join the Boy Scouts, progress through the ranks, and earn the merit badges and complete other requirements (a service project is one of them), and then, if you've qualified, you can become an Eagle Scout.  Very few Scouts ever become Eagle Scouts.

This was a better episode than I was expecting.  Enjoyed the trio in the waffle place.  Such a dump on the outside, but so cute inside!  And I guess I can just handwave how they can afford two new tires.

• Love 8

I really liked the Jimmy, JJ and Dylan scenes.  Those waffles did look pretty good!  It seems like they're really dumbing down Dylan though.  I'm pretty sure she referred to the face on her quarter as the character Dumbledore. C'mon writers!  She's smarter than that!

I was happy to learn through these forums that JJ's real life sister was in the last scene.  She & Micah seem very close.  

• Love 3
17 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

A nit-pick - one doesn't "join" the Eagle Scouts.  Join the Boy Scouts, progress through the ranks, and earn the merit badges and complete other requirements (a service project is one of them), and then, if you've qualified, you can become an Eagle Scout.  Very few Scouts ever become Eagle Scouts.

This was a better episode than I was expecting.  Enjoyed the trio in the waffle place.  Such a dump on the outside, but so cute inside!  And I guess I can just handwave how they can afford two new tires.

I was just going to say "They didn't get new tires, they just patched them" - then I remembered Jimmy told the guy to go to the next town to get the tires so he could have an extra hour with JJ and Dylan. Maybe Maya's business has sold some stuff.

• Love 4
On 3/30/2019 at 8:00 AM, zoey1996 said:

I have a friend who announced that her daughter was “joining the Eagle Scouts” after the girl realized that you got recognition at high school graduation for being one. I don’t think she had a clue just how hard it is to actually become an Eagle Socut ( and that she was highly unlikely to be able to finish in the time she had left before turning 18, even if she managed to actually find a troop that had a girl’s division-while it’s allowed now, most of the co-Ed groups here are Cub Scout dens that have a separate girl’s pack-so I suspect it will be a few years before there is a functioning Scouts BSA troop she could even join).  So I handwaved that as Ray being similarly optimistic. Realistically, I would expect Ray to have National Honor Society and maybe something like Key Club,on top of the organizations that it has been mentioned he’s involved with, so he should have a great resume. 

• Love 6
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:16 PM, ChitChat said:

I really liked the Jimmy, JJ and Dylan scenes.  Those waffles did look pretty good!  It seems like they're really dumbing down Dylan though.  I'm pretty sure she referred to the face on her quarter as the character Dumbledore. C'mon writers!  She's smarter than that!

I was happy to learn through these forums that JJ's real life sister was in the last scene.  She & Micah seem very close.  

I loved the scenes with JJ and Jimmy. Jimmy is a great dad and I think he doesn't get enough scenes with JJ. I was annoyed that Kenneth decided to come on this trip I think he gets the heartwarming scenes which should go to Jimmy. I thought Kenneth was so poor that he needed to work two jobs it's ironic we never see him at the grocery store.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/30/2019 at 1:16 PM, ChitChat said:

They're on this week's episode of Zach Anner's 'Speechless Podcast,' which just went up yesterday. :D

8 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I loved the scenes with JJ and Jimmy. Jimmy is a great dad and I think he doesn't get enough scenes with JJ. I was annoyed that Kenneth decided to come on this trip I think he gets the heartwarming scenes which should go to Jimmy. I thought Kenneth was so poor that he needed to work two jobs it's ironic we never see him at the grocery store.

I know, right? :) After the season started off with a Jimmy/JJ subplot right off the bat (the former trying to help the latter have a good time in London despite the lack of accessibility), I was hoping it meant there would be more pairings later on than the usual one-per-season they've gotten in the past; too bad we had to wait so long for another, but at least it was a damn good one. Similar to last week's episode when he went off on Maya (finally reaching a breaking point as to how much he's willing to support her when the effort he's currently supporting -- the clothing line -- doesn't seem important enough to her), I feel like his breakdown here was all the more earned and effective for having been held back.

I think what I like best about this plot is that, while Jimmy deciding to prolong their stay at the diner (when he could've just had the tires patched up, and then after the new tires were ready to be picked up) was ultimately about him wanting to have Jimmy Junior to himself for just "one more day" before graduation / college, it wasn't his plan to manipulate the kid or force the bonding on him -- a lot of it was still about what JJ wanted: He was originally told to stay behind with Maya but knew his dad wouldn't be able to carry both tires into town himself; he wanted his dad to try the waffles when Jimmy just wanted to keep an eye out for the mechanic; and he was the one who initially took advantage of this chance to be alone with his dad ("don't tell Mom") to ask about meeting people in college (which was a nice touch, as I think he knew if he told his mom he was nervous about going, it would just upset her and make her want to keep him closer to home).

As for Kenneth, it's possible the school might be paying him a little extra now that he's also working as a basketball coach there...

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 1
(edited)

*sniffle* Unfair use of Cat Stevens, show! That song automatically means Feels for me. *sniffle* 

Its been awhile since we had a JJ and Jimmy plot, and I loved how everything played out. That diner was super cute on the inside, those waffles looked delicious, and I loved Jimmy's talk with Dylan and JJ about how being with them is the best part of his day.

Ray might be a dweeb, but he DID save his mom and family friend from a bear. That makes for an amazing college essay! 

Also, not to be "that girl" but you dont just become an Eagle Scout. Its something you have to earn after years of being a boy scout.One of my cousins is an Eagle Scout, it was a whole process.

"This isnt our best wooooooork!"

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2