Type keyword(s) to search

Dean & Tori's Backyard Bash

Inspired by the colorful produce at a local farmstand, Dean McDermott and Tori Spelling decide to throw an impromptu dinner party for their friends. After 6 years of being pregnant and throwing countless kids parties, it is finally time for a grown-up menu. Dean's making Grilled Rack of Lamb with Strawberry Mint Sauce, Orecchiette with Pickled Peaches and Asparagus, Grilled Fruit Sangria, Crostini with Fava and Goat Cheese Puree, Grilled Pound Cake with Macerated Berries and Sylabub, and more! Plus, Tori crafts DIY gifts and decorations for the table. With four kids in the house and 24 hours before guests arrive, the whole family pitches in to pull off a beautiful backyard dinner party.

Apologies if I didn't set this up correctly--my first time starting a thread. Thankfully this is a "special" so no season/episode to note!

I only watched the second half of this show. I believe it was filmed last summer--before their fairy tale sTori was tarnished by Emily Goodhand! I wouldn't recommend actually watching this show. However, if you just google the program name, you can see images from it and see just how good Tori looks then compared to now. Speculation, but perhaps the stress of the affair made her lose so much weight. She looked so much better last year when her face wasn't so gaunt. (Although Finn was an infant, so perhaps it was some baby weight, too.)

It's pretty funny seeing the kids put to work--dressed up as waitstaff in bow ties and prompted to tell dad just how much they love his lambchops. But my favorite moment was Dean's take on sangria, and as Tori is tasting it, he suggests the name "Deano Sangrino" and the look of utter disdain on Tori's face--about the name, not the drink itself--was just priceless. If looks could kill! He's like, um, that's a no, then or something like that. Tori hung chalboard menus from the bushes--and I never did see what she ended up writing for the sangria.

I also don't really get why Dean was grilling everything in broad daylight when this party was well after dark. Did their guests eat stone-cold food, or did a caterer re-do everything fresh while the guests were there?

Oh, so this was just a one time special last summer, not a series?

I love how Tori characterizes it on her website, (emphasis mine):

Update: Catch Us on the Cooking Channel
August 22nd, 2013 by Tori Spelling 

It’s been almost two years but I am excited to announce that myself, my hubby Dean, and all four of our babes are back doing what we do best—giving you our family reality while doing two things we love to do most, cooking and party planning! Our new special, Dean and Tori’s Backyard Bash will premiere on The Cooking Channel tomorrow night! We had such a fun time filming this show with the whole family. The Cooking Channel followed our family as we prepared for an impromptu al fresco dinner party at our home. We throw a lot of kid-friendly parties with four little ones, but this time the hubs and I went for a very grown-up and gourmet menu. Dean shares his recipes for Grilled Rack of Lamb with Strawberry Mint Sauce, Orecchiette with Pickled Peaches and Asparagus, Grilled Fruit Sangria aka ‘Deano Sangrino,’ Fava Bean Crostini, and more. Yum! And of course there were lots of crafts, DIY decorations, and party planning by yours truly. The whole family pitched in and we were able to pull off a beautiful event in only 24 hours. Watch Finn’s first time on reality TV! It’s so fun being back on TV with our family, doing things we’re passionate about. See some familiar friendly faces show up at our dinner party and celebrate with us!

Ugh, Tori! Did you birth four children or four circus performers? The world has seen enough of them, FFS. They're getting older now and have been featured more than enough on your various reality shows. How about trying something different, like, hmm, you and Dean just sticking to Chopped Canada and whatever the hell that show you're on now with Jennie Garth, and whatever acting gigs you can get and leave your kids alone. Let them grow up in privacy now, please! After what you subjected them to on your nightmare "True Tori" they deserve at least that much from their parents. Enough already!

• Love 3

I don't think she looked any healthier for the backyard bash. The hair was more gold, but everything else was the same old fug tori. Skinny, eyebrow-less, needy. The kids were used like little monkeys.

But at least that's a better use of "branding" than the horrible affair/addiction/suicide shit she's putting her kids through now on camera. I guess the entertaining guru idea played itself out and she needed to find a new angle. Disgusting.

How in the you-know-what can you have an "impromptu" dinner party with cameras there to be shown later on a TV show???  Boy, these people sure think their viewers are stupid (although because I keep watching, I'm starting to wonder about myself, lol!)

• Love 1
(edited)

Ah, so she DID allow him to call it Deano Sangrino.

You got to be kidding!!  Another reality star shoving two buck chuck down our throats.  Deano Sangrino ~ it sounds like the name of his dong.

Move onto 2014....what ever happened to Gormet Dad?

Edited by Lablover27

I would imagine growing up a Spelling in the 80's has a lot to do with Tori's need to film every moment of her life. Her father placed a lot on looks, I understand, and pretty much whored her out at a young age, right? She was just a kid herself when he trotted her out to be hated by everyone for his blatant nepotism. Everyone I knew who watched 90210 hated Donna. She had to have felt some of that backlash, and the rejection that comes with it. 

Sometimes, watching her desperation and confusion just makes me sad. I feel like she has no one in her life willing to tell her any truths, or to maybe help guide her to some decent therapy. If she could get real with herself, even just a little, she could start to make some small changes that lead to bigger ones. Instead, she keeps doing the same things, over and over, including birthing endless kids. Who wants 4 kids under 7? Who plans their life that way? I think she is really impulsive, and profoundly lonely.

In watching her programs, and her interactions with her kids, it appears to me that she has absolutely no clue how to parent those kids, either. That also makes me sad, because if she has no clue, then it follows her Mom had no clue either, and then I think:  no wonder she's such a narcissistic, needy mess.

Then I remember that she slept with someone's hubby the night she met him, and ripped a kid's heart out in the process, and go back to hating the bitch. 

• Love 7

I just watched this on the cooking channel and was struck by how much healthier Tori looked with those few extra pounds, also she seemed radiant and happy. What a shock compared to the gaunt, emaciated version I just saw in True Tori. She should eat more tacos.

Poor Stella looked so sad not being able to participate in prepping with Dean and Liam, in more than one scene. At one point she even asked if she could help and Dean totally brushed her off. I guess the script only called for Liam to get all that screen time with dad.

I like the idea of pickled peaches in the pasta salad and that white sangria with the grilled fruit looked good. Not sure if I believe those were really Dean's ideas though.

I'm going to have to check this show out just out of curiosity. It's on again on Saturday at 7 am ET.

It's also on tonight on the Cook channel. I saw this show earlier, before Dean met Emily's good hand. Dean did all the cooking and Tori bought some flowers and stained a tray, and that's about it. Dean entertained the kids while he prepared food, while Tori gave him a bitch face. Typical Tori mess.

• Love 1