Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E16: Past Tense

wknt3
  • Start Topic

After a woman is murdered in her apartment, Danny and Baez turn to her daughter, Margo, for help, but instead she complicates the investigation. Also, someone from Jamie and Eddie's past launches a smear campaign against them, and a mobster shows up in the DA's office claiming to be Anthony's long-lost brother.

Checked the castlist but this guy isnt.listed. The guy from Jamie’s past they thought vandalized his car, etc. but it turned out to be

the guy’s sister. Who is that actor???? I know I saw him on something but I can’t think to save me.

I liked this episode! I was surprised when the show was off one week followed by a re-run. Isn't there such a thing as February "sweeps" anymore? I guess not. There were 4 stories this week, which usually makes the show seem overcrowded and clunky, but I thought this episode flowed like water. Or whiskey, since it's Blue Bloods.   Except it's still stupid that Frank is fine with Eddy working for Jamie. And no one in the precinct or IAB knows they live together? Please. I like that Eddy and Erin did an apology thing without hugging or rushing to a "sister" place. Speaking of sisters, I get that Voorhees' sister did the viral post and the anonymous phone call, but was she supposed to have vandalized Jamie's car, too? That seems completely different than the other two things, and unlikely. Still, I enjoyed the episode.  I love Sid and Anthony, both, so it was a good week, there. And I like to see Frank be a genuine boss who sets limits with his people sometimes, instead of just being an irritable crank.

• Love 1

I get that the actor is a big guy, but can writers please stop with the constant fat shaming lines towards Anthony?  If Anthony were a woman there would be outrage over this.  As the wife of a 'big guy' - trust me, they have feelings too.

• Love 9

Once again the Danny story fell flat.  I think it's because his story is always the procedural story, and that needs more than 10-12 minutes of air time to care about IMO.

Frank's story was good.  He cared.  But, he didn't allow a dangerous situation to continue.  A man with dementia absolutely should not be carrying a badge and a gun.  But, he should be able to get his pension.  So, good for you Frank.  And, Sid's dressing down was also deserved, because as I said, dangerous situation and he was actively aiding and abetting it.

I like Anthony, but I don't much care if he has a long-lost brother. Again, maybe I would had they given it more time. I think they should go back to where they only do two stories a week and they can alternate.  Frank and Danny don't have to have one each week either.  They can do Frank/Erin, followed by Danny/Jamie, followed by Frank/Jamie, followed by Frank/Danny, followed by Erin/Jamie.  That way the stories we do get will get the time they deserve.

OK, Jamie and Eddie's situation is continuing to bug me.  That said, I did like their case.  I love that someone with a mooching relative would think the best way they could get rid of him is frame him for a crime.  Because, hey, nothing else works.  LOL.  But, my big beef with the whole thing is that Jamie said Eddie shouldn't be working on this with him or IAD (or whatever) would find out about them.  Gee, Jamie, if you're worried about people finding out then you know you are doing something wrong.  Jamie isn't the type to knowingly do something wrong over such a long period of time.  Plus, I think Frank should put an end to his.  I think his reasoning is that if he weren't Jamie's father he wouldn't even know about this, which is true, and he wants to treat his sons like every other cop, which is a good idea.  But, the fact is he does know.  When this all blows up people are going to know he knew.  He should have stopped the transfer.

• Love 2

How are Jamie and Eddie going to keep their relationship a secret when they get married, which, I assume, will be the season finale? Won't they have paperwork to fill out pertaining to survivor's benefits, etc? 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

How are Jamie and Eddie going to keep their relationship a secret when they get married, which, I assume, will be the season finale? Won't they have paperwork to fill out pertaining to survivor's benefits, etc? 

one would think... look for pope francis to issue a papal dispensation from 1pp. 

Edited by wonderwoman
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

Plus, some cops might see the wedding announcement.  They might not be having a huge wedding, but they're not eloping either.  Do they not have any cop friends that they're going to invite?  Besides Danny.  What about Eddie's partner. Who is going to be super pissed by the way. She's going to feel so betrayed that she has been complaining about Jamie this whole time while Eddie kept quiet.  Why do they think this is a good idea again?

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Biscuit Tin said:

I liked this episode! I was surprised when the show was off one week followed by a re-run. Isn't there such a thing as February "sweeps" anymore? I guess not. There were 4 stories this week, which usually makes the show seem overcrowded and clunky, but I thought this episode flowed like water. Or whiskey, since it's Blue Bloods. 

Sweeps are still a thing, but they are much less important than they used to be. Also CBS is the only network that is really doing Fridays anymore so they probably won the night even in reruns. I would guess that it was scheduled that way to avoid too long a hiatus with the NCAA tournament coming up and preempting the show. I also agree that the pacing was pretty good this week.

8 hours ago, Katy M said:

Once again the Danny story fell flat.  I think it's because his story is always the procedural story, and that needs more than 10-12 minutes of air time to care about IMO.

I think the Danny stories are flat because the writing, which has always been the show's week point, has declined this year. And because they basically have been telling the same 3 or 4 stories for 9 years and it's gotten old.

I like Anthony, but I don't much care if he has a long-lost brother. Again, maybe I would had they given it more time. I think they should go back to where they only do two stories a week and they can alternate.  Frank and Danny don't have to have one each week either.  They can do Frank/Erin, followed by Danny/Jamie, followed by Frank/Jamie, followed by Frank/Danny, followed by Erin/Jamie.  That way the stories we do get will get the time they deserve.

Frank and Danny have always been the constants and Frank should get a story each week. They really used to do 2 1/2 - 3 plots per week, not 2 as far as I can recall. Perhaps we are counting differently? I think where they are missing an opportunity to not have episodes feel overstuffed (although I did think this week flowed well) is to have 2 family members share a story if they don't want to do as many weeks without a main plot for Jamie or Erin. Have Erin prosecute Jamie or Danny's case or have Jamie be on the front lines of the new policy causing problems for Frank at 1PP. I'd say to use Erin's promotion to have her in conflict with Frank, but I don't want to see another episode of Frank being a stubborn ass to her trying to do her job and being told that he's right and she's just being oversensitive.

OK, Jamie and Eddie's situation is continuing to bug me.  That said, I did like their case.  I love that someone with a mooching relative would think the best way they could get rid of him is frame him for a crime.  Because, hey, nothing else works.  LOL.  But, my big beef with the whole thing is that Jamie said Eddie shouldn't be working on this with him or IAD (or whatever) would find out about them.  Gee, Jamie, if you're worried about people finding out then you know you are doing something wrong.  Jamie isn't the type to knowingly do something wrong over such a long period of time.  Plus, I think Frank should put an end to his.  I think his reasoning is that if he weren't Jamie's father he wouldn't even know about this, which is true, and he wants to treat his sons like every other cop, which is a good idea.  But, the fact is he does know.  When this all blows up people are going to know he knew.  He should have stopped the transfer.

6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Yeah didn't like this at all. It just goes beyond what my suspension of disbelief can tolerate and goes against the characterization of Frank and to a lesser extent Jamie (given that they've kind of trashed his character a bit already in previous seasons when it comes to him and Eddie.) Why do they insist on having them work together? I just don't don't see any sort of payoff that makes it worth it either since I don't see them letting Frank actually be really wrong and suffer consequences and the if they have Jamie take a demotion and go back to be partners it's such a waste of potential and character development that I might quit this show for good.

• Love 2

I know I have to suspend belief when watching this show and I usually do because it's mostly entertaining and I like the actors on it but they really stretched it this week - are we supposed to believe that when the Mother was murdered there were the first police on the scene then some backup officers who had time to put up the yellow tape and call the detectives.  Then the detectives had to get to the apartment too and in ALL of that time nobody cleared the apartment or even thoroughly searched it?  So the daughter sat in that closet for how long unnoticed by everyone until Danny heard her crying?  Seems like that was some sloppy reprimand worthy police work there.

This was hey it's that guy week too - Had just finished watching The Passage where James Le Gros recurs then moved on to watching Blue Bloods (I know I'm way behind on my DVR shows!).  Had to do some quick brain shifting to go from his Passage character Horace (who I am sincerely hoping is killed) to the Blue Bloods character Don..  Then I got a looks familiar vibe from the sister Heidi who turned out to be the actress who played young Christina in Mommy Dearest which makes me feel very, very old.