Type keyword(s) to search

Gravity Falls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Her name is Mabel, it rhymes with table, it also rhymes with... glabel, it also rhymes with... schmabel!

But in all seriousness, she's just adorable. I'm usually annoyed at characters that act like her, so I don't know just how Kristen Schaal does it.

Nevertheless: GRAPPLING HOOK!

A couple things: It's Grunkle Stan, with a k. And I would have gone with the subhead, He Punched a Pterodactyl In the Face.

Dammit, that woulda been way better. Is it too late, David?

From heck’s heart, I stab at thee!

Probably his only cooler moment was when he revealed that he had the first diary all along. As much of a stretch this is, I think Stan is a bit like Orion from Chuck. And not just because he has a lot clutched to his chest.

I'll start! This is one of my favourites:

Mabel: [whispering] He's looking at it, he's looking at it!

A boy: [reading from a letter] Uhh, do you like me?

• Yes
  • Definitely
  • Absolutely?

Mabel: [whispering] I rigged it!

• Love 1
(edited)

Prompted by a reply in another thread, I suppose it's time to start a thread dedicated to the cutest pig ever, at least in Mabel's opinion. Let's discuss and appreciate the fifteen-pound wonder that is Waddles here.

Edited by ironclown

(couldn't think of a better subtitle, so shoot your suggestions!)

Ah, Wendy. Dipper crushes on her so bad, and she tends to goof around more than actually work in the Mystery Shack. Yet somehow I feel she's the least developed of the regular characters. I don't think there's really been a story in the first season that focused on her, so I hope the second season can amend that.

I've had a crush on Linda Cardellini since Freaks and Geeks, so finding out she was on Gravity Falls was a very pleasant surprise.

We have a start date! Season 2: Ep 1 is premiering on August 1st @ 9pm! Alex Hirsch has confirmed that S 2: Ep 2 will air on August 4th at 9pm as well.

I can't believe we have to wait the whole summer!  

I'll start! My absolute favorite is Double Dipper. Paper Jam Dipper for some reason is so hilarious to me and I love him! One of the things we do at our house (especially when certain 9 year olds are in a bad mood) is to randomly start talking like Paper Jam Dipper. Always works to crack everyone up.

I also love LOVE Ep 10 - Fight Fighters. It's just so perfect, especially if you spent your formative years side scrolling your way through the summer.

Honestly I could keep going because I love so many of the episodes, Time Travellers Pig, The Inconveniencing, Irrational Treasure, Boyz Crazy. So many good ones. :D

Robbie is so that guy I knew in high school. T.J. Miller's voice acting is perfection. I have been watching Silicon Valley and when T.J. showed up as a main character I was all "look Robbie grew up to be a tech guy!" hee.

I only recently learned Erlich from Silicon Valley is also played by the guy voicing Robbie; it makes sense now that I want to punch both characters in the teeth, but at least Erlich is more useful than Robbie. All Robbie can do is wear tight leather pants ant paint tower muffins.

Dipper: We need to make a cold war pact.
Robbie: Okay. What's that?
Dipper: We need to learn to hate each other, in silence.
Robbie: You mean. like, what girls do?
Dipper: Yeah, exactly! What girls do.
  • Love 1

Heh, I had the thought while watching "Carpet Diem" that Soos wouldn't have minded a whit if he had to spend the rest of his life in Waddles's body. Waddles leads a charmed life, after all. The only sticking point was that McGucket's relentless desire to eat him.

• Love 1

I pretty much love them all, particularly Time Travellers Pig.. for making me want to go back through earlier episodes and see if the appearances were there. This show is so well written! It's like Lost but with someone who knows how to write a plot.

I also love Fight Fighter, I own the "SUPER POWER NINJA TURBO NEO ULTRA HYPER MEGA MULTI ALPHA META EXTRA UBER PREFIX COMBO" shirt. I knew I had to find it as soon as I watched the episode.

• Love 1

Ultimate of course being giant robots punching giant monsters (or dinosaurs) in the face.

So what's the over-under on getting something like Pacific Rim on Gravity Falls? The only robot we've seen so far is that Gobblewonker bot by McGucket.

With respect to episodes, it is clear that "Land Before Swine" is very much awesome, if only due to the image of Stan punching the pterodactyl. But, I'd also like to submit "Dreamscaperers" as an awesome episode; after all, who'd have thought of beating Bill Cipher with Kitten Fists and other such oddities?

• Love 1

If you want Pacific Rim stylings (and who doesn't!?) check out Regular Show's episode "A Bunch of Full Grown Geese". Hilarious and well done!

Didn't McGucket make the huge Gideon-bot in "Gideon Rises"? There's a giant robot for us!

Didn't McGucket make the huge Gideon-bot in "Gideon Rises"? There's a giant robot for us!

Ah, forgot that Gideon-bot. That was already a Jaeger in spirit, I guess.

Another favorite: "Dipper versus Manliness". That was definitely an episode with a powerful lesson: it's the moxie to stand up for your convictions that makes a man of you.

• Love 1

This show is some of the best TV out there right now. Is that weird? Am I weird for liking a show made primarily for kids or at least adults who watch TV with their kids?

Also who else is shocked as hell to see this show actually renewed for a second season? Between cancelling Tron Uprising and Motorcity, as well as the hectic schedule they aired this on, it was almost like Disney was trying to sabotage it or something.

• Love 1

Is Gravity Falls REALLY made for kids though? I feel like it's made for adults with kids, so their kids can watch it and laugh at the 'kiddie' jokes and adults can get into the cryptic stuff.

Or, someone like me who likes animated series with a good story :)

So, with the next season coming out in a few weeks I've decided to do a rewatch of season 1 to get me started.

I finally finished watching The Office so now it's time!

I'm off home sick from work today :( So what better way to spend the day than watching Gravity Falls?

So far I've rewatched episode one and plan on watching a few episodes a day.

Feel free to join in :)

• Love 1

Awesome! I'll set up the topic! :D

Season One episodes!

All episodes are in the ep #/ Title / Director / Writer/ Original Airdate
1 "Tourist Trapped" John Aoshima Alex Hirsch June 15, 2012
Two fraternal twins, Dipper and Mabel Pines, arrive at the remote town of Gravity Falls to spend their summer break, but Mabel's suspicious new boyfriend reveals the town's strange and uncanny secrets to the duo. When Mabel's boyfriend turns out to be a bunch of gnomes, Dipper tries to save her.

2 "The Legend of the Gobblewonker" John Aoshima Michael Rianda & Alex Hirsch June 29, 2012
Dipper, Mabel, and Soos attend a boating expedition to prove that a sea monster exists beneath, hoping to win a thousand dollars. Meanwhile Stan, after being abandoned by Dipper and Mabel, tries to find fishing partners.

3 "Headhunters" John Aoshima Aury Wallington & Alex Hirsch June 30, 2012

Mabel sculpts a life-sized wax sculpture to add to Grunkle Stan's collection of wax museum figures. When the wax figure gets his head off, the twins are on the case.
Guest voices: John Oliver as Wax Sherlock Holmes, Larry King and Coolio as wax sculptures of themselves.

4 "The Hand That Rocks the Mabel" John Aoshima Zach Paez & Alex Hirsch July 6, 2012
Dipper and Mabel meet an intriguing new neighbor: an adorable psychic kid named Lil' Gideon. When Lil' Gideon tries to win Mabel over, Dipper tries to stop him.

5 "The Inconveniencing" Aaron Springer & Joe Pitt Michael Rianda & Alex Hirsch July 13, 2012
Dipper attempts to woo Wendy by lying about his age. Hanging out with Wendy and her friends, the kids end up in an old, abandoned shop that is seemingly haunted.

6 "Dipper vs. Manliness" Aaron Springer & Joe Pitt Tim McKeon July 20, 2012

When Dipper wants to "be a man", he wanders into the forest on an epic quest and meets a strange species that tests him. Meanwhile, Mabel tries to get Stan to impress Lazy Susan.
Guest voices: Alfred Molina as Multi-Bear

7 "Double Dipper" Aaron Springer & Joe Pitt Story by: Mitch Larson
Teleplay by: Michael Rianda, Tim McKeon, & Alex Hirsch August 10, 2012 109 4.2[13]
Stan throws a party at the Mystery Shack; at the same time, Dipper produces clones of himself, to help him impress Wendy.

8 "Irrational Treasure" John Aoshima Story by: David Slack
Teleplay by: Tim McKeon & Alex Hirsch August 17, 2012
The kids discover that the town's founder is a hoax, and set out to expose the truth. But when they do, Sheriff Blubs and Deputy Durland threaten to send them to a government facility in Washington!

9 "The Time Traveler's Pig" Aaron Springer & Joe Pitt Aury Wallington & Alex Hirsch August 24, 2012

Dipper's wish comes true when he steals a Time Traveler's time machine to undo a mistake. Mabel accompanies him to keep on winning her pig, Waddles, until when Dipper finally undo his mistake, Mabel loses her pig to her arch nemesis, Pacifica Northwest.
Guest voice: Justin Roiland as Blendin Blandin

10 "Fight Fighters" John Aoshima Zach Paez & Alex Hirsch September 14, 2012

Dipper is shocked to see his favorite video game character comes to life and defend him in a fight with Robbie. But when things get too far, Dipper then realizes he needs to save Robbie. Meanwhile, Mabel tries to end Stan's fear of heights.
Guest voice: Brian Bloom as Rumble McSkirmish

11 "Little Dipper" Aaron Springer & Joe Pitt Tim McKeon, Zach Paez, & Alex Hirsch September 28, 2012

Feeling insecure that Mabel is becoming the alpha twin, Dipper seeks a magical way to grow taller. But when Lil' Gideon finds the crystal, he uses it to shrink the kids! Then Lil' Gideon tries to use it on Stan to take over the Mystery Shack!
Guest voice: Corey Burton as The Lawyer

12 "Summerween" John Aoshima Zach Paez, Alex Hirsch, & Michael Rianda October 5, 2012

Gravity Falls' version of Halloween takes place during the summer with Jack-o'-Melons and lots of trick-or-treating. Dipper and Mabel are excited to join in on the fun, but when Wendy casually mentions that trick-or-treating is for kids, Dipper's outlook on the evening changes. The night gets even more complicated when a monster that Dipper accidentally insulted makes them fulfill his candy quota by the night's end, or else he will eat them.
Guest voice: Jeff Bennett as The Summerween Trickster

13 "Boss Mabel" John Aoshima Story by: Tommy Reahard
Teleplay by: Tim McKeon & Alex Hirsch February 15, 2013
Mabel bets Grunkle Stan that she will make more money at the Mystery Shack by treating people nicely than he does by being rude and cranky. He heads off to win a fortune on a TV game show, while she deals with lazy employees and a real monster captured by Dipper.

14 "Bottomless Pit!" Aaron Springer & Joe Pitt Alex Hirsch & Michael Rianda March 1, 2013
As the kids, Stan and Soos fall in a bottomless pit, they tell each other stories to pass time.

15 "The Deep End" Aaron Springer & Joe Pitt Nancy Cohen March 15, 2013

Mabel befriends a cute Merman trapped in the deep end of the public pool, and is determined to return him to his family in the ocean—even though that means her whirlwind of a romance will come to an end. Meanwhile, Dipper learns that Wendy is a lifeguard at the pool, so he decides that the best way to spend time with her is to volunteer.
Guest voices: Matt Chapman as Mermando; Michael Rianda as Mr. Poolcheck

16 "Carpet Diem" Joe Pitt Tim McKeon, Zach Paez, & Alex Hirsch April 5, 2013
Soos discovers a hidden room inside the Mystery Shack, and Dipper is happy to claim it as his own independent space, but there is one problem — Mabel wants the room too. They both compete for Stan's approval to win the room, as part of a contest that gets even trickier when the siblings switch bodies due to the room's mysterious shag rug.

17 "Boyz Crazy" John Aoshima Matt Chapman & Alex Hirsch April 19, 2013

When Mabel discovers that her favorite boy band is actually a bunch of imprisoned clones, she sets them free, only to decide on keeping them for herself. Meanwhile, Dipper thinks that Robbie plans to brainwash Wendy using a secret message hidden in the lyrics of one of their songs. When he and Stan discover it's true, they try to stop him.
Guest voice: Lance Bass as Sev'ral Timez.

18 "Land Before Swine" John Aoshima Tim McKeon & Alex Hirsch June 28, 2013
A prehistoric beast snatches Waddles after Grunkle Stan throws him outside, and Dipper, Mabel, Stan, Soos, and Old Man McGucket plan to go after the beast in order to save Waddles. When Mabel realizes it was Stan's fault, she refuses to talk to him. At the same time, Dipper and Soos work out their friendship issues when Dipper is worried that Soos' clumsiness will ruin their chances of getting Waddles back.

19 "Dreamscaperers" (Part 1) Joe Pitt & John Aoshima Tim McKeon, Matt Chapman, & Alex Hirsch July 12, 2013

The kids and Soos travel through Grunkle Stan's mind to defeat a tricky dream demon named Bill Cipher, summoned by Lil' Gideon. Dipper also uses this as an opportunity to try to find why Stan is so hard on him.

Guest voices: Greg Cipes as Craz; John Roberts as Xyler
Note: This is the first of a two-part season finale.

20 "Gideon Rises" (Part 2) John Aoshima & Joe Pitt Matt Chapman, Alex Hirsch, & Michael Rianda August 2, 2013

After Lil' Gideon swindles the Mystery Shack away from Stan, everything in Gravity Falls appears to be even more west of weird—Dipper, Mabel and Grunkle Stan are forced to move in with Soos and his grandmother, while the town remains enamored with Gideon's charm. Meanwhile, Grunkle Stan isn't certain he can take care of the twins, and is considering sending them back home. With their summer in Gravity Falls coming to a close, the kids decide to take on Gideon and win back their home.

1 "Tourist Trapped" John Aoshima Alex Hirsch June 15, 2012
Two fraternal twins, Dipper and Mabel Pines, arrive at the remote town of Gravity Falls to spend their summer break, but Mabel's suspicious new boyfriend reveals the town's strange and uncanny secrets to the duo. When Mabel's boyfriend turns out to be a bunch of gnomes, Dipper tries to save her.

2 "The Legend of the Gobblewonker" John Aoshima Michael Rianda & Alex Hirsch June 29, 2012
Dipper, Mabel, and Soos attend a boating expedition to prove that a sea monster exists beneath, hoping to win a thousand dollars. Meanwhile Stan, after being abandoned by Dipper and Mabel, tries to find fishing partners.

I was so in love with this show from the beginning! I can't wait for season 2. The gnomes were my favorite part of the first episode. The fact that they barf rainbows made me laugh out loud.

lol I never thought of using Smile Dip like that.. I always just think "Would you like to eat my candy paws!"

I sometimes wonder how this stuff gets through as kids tv, some of it definitely isn't directed towards them :P

• Love 1

I've watched up to Summerween now! I always find the trickster to be so creepy!

It's funny, when I first thought of having a rewatch I was concerned I wouldn't get it finished in time for the new season... and now I've watched 12 episodes in 3 days :P so I guess that isn't an issue.

I also love getting to see Waddles! The Time Travellers Pig is an awesome episode. I forgot to watch the earlier episodes to see if Blendin' was in the background.

• Love 1

Time Travellers Pig is one of my favorites of all time! The minute we finished that one the first time we went back and watched all the ones he was in. We also randomly say "Have Mercy Time Baby!" when we are being silly. Just a great episode all around! 

The Summerween Trickster IS creepy! I love that though. I think a lot of times people don't do things that they think are creepy because kids will be scared but the cool thing is that the Trickster is ultimately defeated. I like messages like that. :)

Yeah, I find him on a similar level of creepy as Him in Powerpuff Girls. I remember watching an episode where Him had possessed (I think) Bubbles toy Octi and it was super creepy! I think I would have loved watching that stuff as a kid because it (and also Gravity Falls with Trickster) isn't afraid to scare kids a little.

Although I did like Trickster better with his weird mask and weird skinny legs more than his cheap candy face.

One thing I did think was how he had Candycorn teeth, I never realised it was considered a 'cheap' candy, I know there is lots of debate on whether its good or not but I thought it was just a standard halloween thing. I've never tried it, it's not something we have here but I thought it was interesting that was what his teeth were made of.

Why am I JUST NOW discovering this show?!?!  I just randomly stumbled across an episode on TV one day (It was the bottomless pit episode) and I just about laughed my head off. I have been rushing through the season, but now I only have a few episodes left! What will I do now?!?! I need my daily Waddles fix!  

• Love 1