Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E05: John Legend, Rahm Emanuel, Paul Begala, David Frum, and Maya Wiley

• Start Topic

Love John Legend and lol'd when he said it's hard to credit Trump for anything, even for the First Step Act, because Trump probably has no idea what's actually in it (we know he's not a reader). Also laughed when he said Jared Kushner may be indicted one of these days, which may be why he was so on board with the First Step Act. Well, like father, like son, right?! Haha.

I liked what Maya Wiley said about the VA Governor not taking this opportunity to truly learn and understand why blackface is so hurtful to the black community. In all his conferences and interviews, he comes off as completely oblivious. 

And I agree with Maher about Rep. Omar's tweets - nothing about what she said was anti-Semitic, imo.

• Love 7

The panel did a good breakdown of the ins and outs of the "national emergency". 

14 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

In all his conferences and interviews, he comes off as completely oblivious

That's the problem. If he was actually mortified and really apologized, I think people would have moved on. But his own wife had to tell him not to moonwalk at the press conference. 

• Love 2

Pretty good show overall, but I find David Frum to be intolerable regardless of what he's saying just because he's such a motor mouth.

Too often the mid-show guests are celebrities promoting their latest album or movie so it was a pleasant change to have someone like John Legend who could add to the political discussion instead of plugging something and bringing the show show to a screeching halt.

Rahm Emanuel is missing a middle finger. Huh, never knew that before.

I totally agree with the New Rule about the Democrats nit-picking all the candidates to death, but the situation with Hilary Clinton was something different altogether. And it wasn't Democrats who obsessed over her e-mails, it was the media because that's all they really had on her. With Trump it was something new every other day so nothing ever stuck, but with Clinton it was just one thing so it got hammered over and over again. 

The takeaway, as always, should have been refusing to let conservative media control the narrative.

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I totally agree with the New Rule about the Democrats

I think Bill was reading the board here again this week because we've been talking about "perfect being the enemy of good" for a while. 

57 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

And it wasn't Democrats who obsessed over her e-mails, it was the media because that's all they really had on her. 

Unfortunately it hadn't changed. One of them eats chicken wrong, another threw a binder. 

There's no way Warren shakes the "claiming to be native American" canard either. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ganesh said:
14 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

That girlfriend list has been floating around reddit for at least a year and half.

Yeah no

Not sure what you mean. Are you doubting me? August 10, 2017

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

In his teens, he was working at McDonalds or something and cut it really badly. It became infected so they had to amputate.

Edited by ZoqFotPik
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ganesh said:

The panel did a good breakdown of the ins and outs of the "national emergency".

Yeah I thought it was really good panel, even if David Frum was a bit too much in "professional cable news talking head"
mode most of the time. I wish if he was going to half ass his day job to go play Vegas for a few extra bucks he would do it on a week he has a crappy panel.

8 minutes ago, ZoqFotPik said:

In his teens, he was working at McDonalds or something and cut it really badly. It became infected so they had to amputate.

It was a deli according to President Obama. I remember him telling the story with the punchline being that when it came to hand gestures it "rendered him practically mute.”

I totally agree with the New Rule about the Democrats nit-picking all the candidates to death, but the situation with Hilary Clinton was something different altogether. And it wasn't Democrats who obsessed over her e-mails, it was the media because that's all they really had on her. With Trump it was something new every other day so nothing ever stuck, but with Clinton it was just one thing so it got hammered over and over again.  

The takeaway, as always, should have been refusing to let conservative media control the narrative.

To me it was as frustrating as the rest of the show - a mix of funny and insightful observations along with Bill's self absorbed nonsense ("in my day we didn't mind a boss throwing a few binders at our head") and in the end failing to take the next step and make the obvious connections.  I just wish Bill would do as much homework as John Legend.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ZoqFotPik said:

Not sure what you mean. Are you doubting me?

No, the actual content of the list itself. Text me back no more than 10 minutes, etc. 

41 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

Yeah I thought it was really good panel, even if David Frum was a bit too much in "professional cable news talking head"

I didn't know that the money was coming from pork barrel. Let's see what happens when South Carolina gets $350 mill taken away. 

On 2/15/2019 at 8:14 PM, Alexis2291 said:

Jared Kushner may be indicted one of these days, which may be why he was so on board with the First Step Act. Well, like father, like son, right?! Haha

Trump is not Jared's father. Jared is Trump's son-in-law (no blood relation).

Jared's father went to jail, and Jared was the driving force for this bill. It wouldn't be surprising if Jared was indicted. The "like father like son" comment seems to me to stem from that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, MsTree said:

Trump is not Jared's father. Jared is Trump's son-in-law (no blood relation).

I know. I was talking about Jared Kushner’s father, who served time in prison.

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

Jared's father went to jail, and Jared was the driving force for this bill. It wouldn't be surprising if Jared was indicted. The "like father like son" comment seems to me to stem from that. 

Yes. This is what I was talking about, lol.

• Love 1

Bill could have made his point about perfect being the enemy of good, when it comes to the growing Democratic field, without having to insert his usual whining about political correctness, this time over the Oscars. Sometimes I think Bill will bring up any subject and blame political correctness over it, if he could get away with it. And Bernie Sanders' problems with male members of his staff sexually harassing their female co-workers is NOT a case of nit picking a candidate. But I guess it does to a sexist, misogynistic tool like Bill who'll go to lengths to prop up his preferred choice for president.

• Love 4