Type keyword(s) to search

It's based on the book!: Anticipation for Perry Mason (2020)

• Start Topic

Matthew Rhys will star in Perry Mason adaptation for HBO:

Based on the characters created by Erle Stanley Gardner, HBO's Perry Mason will follow the character at a time in his life when he is living check-to-check as a low-rent private investigator. Mason is haunted by his wartime experiences in France and is suffering the effects of a broken marriage.

Please use this thread to discuss the upcoming series.  For discussion of the CBS show and the later movies, please use the other Perry Mason thread.. 

The good news is that at least this plot setup means they'll be aiming for a period piece, which will be interesting.

But... is anyone really interested in Perry Mason in that period of his life?  It could STILL have been a period piece in the 1930s when he was a lawyer instead of the 1920s when he wasn't.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Kromm said:

But... is anyone really interested in Perry Mason in that period of his life?  It could STILL have been a period piece in the 1930s when he was a lawyer instead of the 1920s when he wasn't.

I'm not interested but I'm also not not interested.  I'm interested enough in the time period, the character and the actor to give it a chance. 

• Love 5

I see Perry Mason 2020 is set to premiere on HBO on June 21, 2020.  I like Matthew Rhys, I watched the whole “The Americans” series, but no one can replace Raymond Burr as Perry Mason.  If I decide to watch, I’ll just have to watch it as a completely different story, and not try to compare it with the Classic Perry Mason. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, alvajon said:

I see Perry Mason 2020 is set to premiere on HBO on June 21, 2020.  I like Matthew Rhys, I watched the whole “The Americans” series, but no one can replace Raymond Burr as Perry Mason.  If I decide to watch, I’ll just have to watch it as a completely different story, and not try to compare it with the Classic Perry Mason. 

From the description I read they didn't seem to have much in common with each other except the name.

• Love 2

I was interested before, but then I saw that Tatiana Maslany is going to have a big role (I think she's Della? but not sure from what I saw).  I would watch her read the phone book to herself, so I'm in for her, although I would probably at least check it out anyway.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

I was interested before, but then I saw that Tatiana Maslany is going to have a big role (I think she's Della? but not sure from what I saw).  I would watch her read the phone book to herself, so I'm in for her, although I would probably at least check it out anyway.

I think she's playing an Aimee Semple McPherson type preacher.

• Love 1

I sometimes feel like the only Perry Mason original recipe fan around here.  I watched them when I was a kid and still watch when they come on TV.  If this doesn't end with a character, goaded by Mason, blurting out "Yes, I did it!" and confessing then I will be bitterly disappointed.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I sometimes feel like the only Perry Mason original recipe fan around here.  I watched them when I was a kid and still watch when they come on TV.  If this doesn't end with a character, goaded by Mason, blurting out "Yes, I did it!" and confessing then I will be bitterly disappointed.

Ha ha ha. 
I've seen my share of "OG" Perry Mason, but probably this version should be referred to as "OG" since the "G" stands for "gangster."

• Love 1
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I watched them when I was a kid and still watch when they come on TV.  If this doesn't end with a character, goaded by Mason, blurting out "Yes, I did it!" and confessing then I will be bitterly disappointed.

Ha.  I too am an OG fan.  I used to watch them in reruns.  And if I see the movies that were made in the 80s, they're my comfort food jam. 

• Love 3

I may have gotten my childhood memories mixed up because I remember him looking more like this. In a Blue Sharkskin suit. My bad.

MV5BYmVhNjhjYjQtMjg3ZS00Yzg0LWI1ODMtOWVjMWM5NWZiMzM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk0MjQ3Nzk@._V1_.thumb.jpg.5068398d6fd71f567e3a00fd41f874e1.jpg

Mens-Navy-Slim-Cut-Suit-17658.jpg.9a65febf89d5ae0c5e27c5040b6a8d78.jpg

Never mind, he looked just like this, Raymond Burr as Perry Mason.

3e0033229101f8d03bb0a255338213e9.jpg.0ff96d2e77fcd823fa46b977963d4b74.jpg

• Love 1
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

They didn't colorize the DVD release did they?  That's blasphemy!  Perry Mason is only in B&W.

Random fact: one episode was in color because the 10th season was going to be in color if it hadn’t been cancelled. 

I grew up with the TV movies so when I think of Perry Mason this is what I picture. I’m not sure that I even knew there was a earlier series. 

A30479DD-4134-4FDA-B712-06DF114A6773.jpeg