Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipating Evil

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

A CBS pilot for 2019 -- from Deadline;

CBS has kicked off its pilot season orders with a nod to a project from two of its top drama creators, The Good Wife‘s Robert and Michelle King. The network has picked up to pilot the Kings’ religion-themed supernatural drama Evil. It hails from CBS TV Studios, where the duo and their King Size Productions are under an overall deal.

Written and executive produced by Robert and Michelle King, Evil is a series about the battle between science and religion. It focuses on a skeptical female clinical psychologist who joins a priest-in-training and a blue-collar contractor as they investigate supposed miracles, demonic possessions, and other extraordinary occurrences to see if there’s a scientific explanation or if something truly supernatural is at work.

Mike Colter To Star In CBS Drama Pilot ‘Evil’ From Robert & Michelle King

Former Luke Cage star Mike Colter is set as a male lead opposite Katja Herbers in CBS’ drama pilot Evil...

...Evil is a series about the battle between science and religion. It focuses on Kristen Benoist (Herbers), a skeptical female clinical psychologist who joins David Dacosta (Colter), a Catholic priest-in-training, and a blue-collar contractor as they investigate supposed miracles, demonic possessions and other extraordinary occurrences to see if there’s a scientific explanation or if something truly supernatural is at work.

Colter’s Dacosta is tasked by the Church to assess unexplained phenomena to see if there is a supernatural or scientific explanation.

Michael Emerson To Co-Star In CBS Drama Pilot ‘Evil’ From Robert & Michelle King

Aasif Mandvi To Star In CBS Drama Pilot ‘Evil’ From Robert & Michelle King

Emerson will play Townsend, a seemingly kind and trustworthy man with a twinkle in his eye and an appealing manner. But outward appearances couldn’t be more deceiving. An expert witness for the defense in a mass-murder case, Townsend actually might be an agent of evil who spurs his followers to acts of unspeakable violence and murder.

Written and executive produced by the Kings and directed by Robert King, Evil is a series about the battle between science and religion. It focuses on Kristen Bouchard (Herbers), a skeptical clinical psychologist who joins Catholic priest-in-training David Acosta (Colter) and a blue-collar contractor, Ben (Mandvi), as they investigate supposed miracles, demonic possessions and other extraordinary occurrences to see if there’s a scientific explanation or if something truly supernatural is at work.

Mandvi’s Ben is a carpenter who was recruited for David’s team early on, Ben has a deep skepticism about all things supernatural. He is a genius at uncovering the organic reasons behind reported “hauntings,” but there may be things outside his understanding that will rattle his belief system.

Picked up by CBS.

CBS has made its first drama series orders of the season, picking up its most buzzed about pilots, supernatural drama Evil from Michelle and Robert King, Dick Wolf’s FBI: Most Wanted spinoff and legal drama All Rise (fka Courthouse) from writer Greg Spottiswood.

The Good Wife creators Robert and Michelle King, who have two premium series, The Good Fight on CBS All Access and the upcoming Your Honor on Showtime, are making a broadcast return with Evil, which everyone has been raving about. No exact episode count has been announced but the drama is believed to be designed for shorter orders.

This looks really good to me (and I can fill in a space on my Michael Emerson bingo card - "gets punched by a much taller guy"- already!)

Now to cross my fingers that a UK broadcaster picks it up in timely fashion.

• Love 1
On 5/16/2019 at 3:52 PM, SimoneS said:

I watched this trailer. Ugh. However, I like Mike Colter so I hope it does well.

I like him too. Being familiar with other King shows the flow of the scenes in the trailer made it obvious that it's a show by them which will be a good or bad thing depending on how the show fares. 

• Love 1

Hate the title (and think they'll lose a lot of potential viewers based on title alone). Intrigued by the premise. Love Mike Colter. I'll tune in for a few episodes to see what it's like.

• Sad 1

The title looks stupid but from the previews this looks like a Xfiles hybrid even has that same male/female dynamic.  That being said it looks fairly interesting and really the only decent new show on CBS which means it will probably be cancelled after a year.

I'm also going to give this one a shot. It seems right up my alley and caught my eye when the promos came on. 

Only thing is that I just read that Christine Lahti is in it. I honestly cannot stand her. Her latest roles in TV come to mind as being in Law & Order SVU and in Hawaii Five-O. This is going to sound completely bizarre but her eyes always seem like they are tearing up and are red. And it bugs me. I find her acting off-putting though I cannot exactly express why that is.

I am hoping she either won't bother me or she won't be in the show all that much. But I actually let out a groan when I saw she was part of the cast.

That said, I'll be recording it tomorrow night and checking it out over the weekend!