Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

Patrick talked of how Merle was so kind to him when his dad when sick. He never told him he knew but he was there for him. This is a nice interview.

I didn't realize that Patrick and Matthew were both adopted like the Gilbert kids.

• Like 3

It's too bad we didn't get a episode with both Garvey and Edwards

Maybe a storyline of they fight over who is Charles best friend then they both realize they tire of Charles and his ego and they ditch Charles and become best friends instead

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
7 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

It's too bad we didn't get a episode with both Garvey and Edwards

Maybe a storyline of they fight over who is Charles best friend then they both realize they tire of Charles and his ego and they ditch Charles and become best friends instead

I would pay money to watch them bond over how annoying Charles is. LOL

"Then he's always trying to get you to cry."

"And whipping that shirt off!"

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Charles: I got no money for a writing pad for my girls schooling

Garvey: Well there's your fiddle you can sell Charles

Charles: My fiddle? What kinda friend recommends his best friend gettign rid of his fiddle

Edwards: He's got a point there Charles. That'll put food on teh table and get a writing pad for those little girls

(Charles takes shirt off, arm on corner of builidng, head down)

Charles: I could but the girls just love that fiddle so much I wa shoping to borrow money from my best friend

Garvey: Well who's that?

Charles: Whoever gives me the money

(Garvey and Edwards look at each other)

Garvey: You thinking what I'm thinkin?

Edwards: You betcha!

(Edwards and Garvey take off walking)

Charles: Hey now where ya going!

Edwards: We are going to play cards! We wanna have fun for once!

(Edwards and Garvey walk with arms around each other laughing)

• LOL 3
(edited)

I had to laugh reading about his friendship with Jonathan in The Inheritance when Garvey buys the farm and he's like "anyone but you!" I wanted Mr Edwards to pop in and say "Ok I'll buy it, I'm upgrading from my shack". ; )

In the recap they reminded me that Nel's had to take a hit from fending off the real auction participants knowing "Charles would be good for all the goods"

Yea.....I don't think he ever had a good crop after that.

Edited by debraran
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, debraran said:

Yea.....I don't think he ever had a good crop after that.

I don't think he ever had a good crop before that either.😂

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, crazy8s said:

I don't think he ever had a good crop before that either.😂

I think he did once and Mary got kicked by the horse....those chores can be a pain.  It took him forever to pay for the shoes for the kids, all the crap he bought, poor Nel's. Good thing they had a nice cushion.

• Wink 1
(edited)
On 4/14/2024 at 6:09 PM, debraran said:

Patrick talked of how Merle was so kind to him when his dad when sick. He never told him he knew but he was there for him. This is a nice interview.

I didn't realize that Patrick and Matthew were both adopted like the Gilbert kids.

He definitely seemed as though he'd have been a good friend had one had reason to have known him!

I liked how he praised both Miss Parady and Miss MacGregor as colleagues and performers saying he enjoyed working with them- despite the fact that neither Alice nor Harriet seemed to enjoy being around Jonathan that much!

I also thought it was interesting how he used his experience of football blocking to build upon when doing performing blocking before the camera.

I don't know when this interview was taped but it doesn't seem that long before his sad death - yet he appeared surprisingly vigorous  here and, on a shallow note, almost younger in appearance as the elder Mr. Labyorteax who'd played his son Andrew!

Thanks for this!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3

I can't help but just laugh and be amazed everytime I see the Ingalls move to Winoka and expect to the town to adjust to their sleep schedule

"We are trying to sleep! Close the saloon!!!"

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
6 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I can't help but just laugh and be amazed everytime I see the Ingalls move to Winoka and expect to the town to adjust to their sleep schedule

"We are trying to sleep! Close the saloon!!!"

Mr. Standish," I'll close the saloon to suit your sleep schedule the day I give credit to a complete stranger offering zero assets or collateral!"

• Like 4
On 4/13/2024 at 6:24 PM, debraran said:

Merle's acting on LHOP was a bit wooden, probably how he thought of the character. Mr Edward's was more lively. Maybe he thought he was too boring or one dimensional to have more of a story line. You are right though, Harriet did, Nel's the Ingall's, Mrs. Whipple, the lady who faked her wake, etc.

Merlin’s acting was wooden in everything I saw him in: Little House, Father Murphy, and Aaron’s Way.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

Mr. Standish," I'll close the saloon to suit your sleep schedule the day I give credit to a complete stranger offering zero assets or collateral!"

and there was never anything but the "big, bad city" where everyone is drunk, nasty and mean and people die (John Jr) or get on drugs (Albert) or Walnut Grove where everything was "perfect" but people were still mean, bigoted at times, got raped, swindled, abused their kids, the list goes on. It was like they had to knock you over the head with how awful the city was but what did they do.....move there again! 

• Like 1

Anyone recall the abused kid named Graham who  virtually all the adults in the town and even Mrs. Oleson wanted to have his male DNA Donor horsewhipped? It seems they were ready to read him the Riot Act when Caroline piped up that if the punished the abuser, they'd hurt the victim- so ALL they did was have Charles  sober the abuser up.  It seems the abuser drank and hurt his kid ALL because his late wife died in childbirth bearing him but that didn't stop him from having this tiny boy do virtually ALL the work in their house and farm !  Yeah, they were one-shot but does anyone truly think that getting an abuser off the sauce one time but otherwise attempting to mete zero consequences for abuse would guarantee the abuser to forever quit abusing their victim?!

and why did Charles do it? Did he volunteer?

I can see someone saying "well who will do it"

Charles looks around stand up walks a few steps forward and says  "I'll do it!" and then expects maybe Oelson will extend credit to him for doing a good deed

ok woke up to a episode, Caroline walks up to Charles at work, he says if you wait 30-45 minutes I can give you a ride home

OK SO HOW FAR IS THEIR HOUSE FORM WALNUT GROVE!!

If it's 10 minutes or so what the heck is she going to do for 30-45 minutes waiting for him to get off work to take her home? It had to be a 20-30 minute walk then right?

But then if it's THAT far of a walk, what the hell is Laura thinking walking to Walnut Grove at night?!?!??!

• Like 1

It does explain why pa wasn't successful in farming. How could a real farmer just go off and rehab random guy? 

Goes to Mankato and Sleepy Eye at the drop of a hat for random reasons. Works at the mill while other men must be working full time at farming, tending to animals, equipment and the crops.

Points to Miss Beadle for doing the yet unnamed responsibility of mandatory reporter and seeking help for the boy.

• Like 2
On 4/26/2024 at 4:00 PM, crazy8s said:

Goes to Mankato and Sleepy Eye at the drop of a hat for random reasons. Works at the mill while other men must be working full time at farming, tending to animals, equipment and the crops.

Wait, are you saying farmers in the 1800s didn't have time to hop California-bound trains so dying kids could see the ocean?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
30 minutes ago, QQQQ said:

Wait, are you saying farmers in the 1800s didn't have time to hop California-bound trains so dying kids could see the ocean?

Probably didn't take several days off to go with a friend following their sons through the woods either. Just so they could see them fail that old test of manhood, walk to wherever and mail a letter from the post office.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, QQQQ said:

That was an odd (but sweet) story. Charles didn't have money either for that and did break the rules but of course for the greater good. Thank God, the newsman was there......with some sarcasm.

Again the kids cause their parents angst and leave others to worry and do their chores and just break the law. When you first see it and then watch it later, at least I saw it differently. At least it wasn't Mary, she would have been grounded for life. ; )

(edited)
On 4/25/2024 at 9:26 PM, Blergh said:

Anyone recall the abused kid named Graham who  virtually all the adults in the town and even Mrs. Oleson wanted to have his male DNA Donor horsewhipped? It seems they were ready to read him the Riot Act when Caroline piped up that if the punished the abuser, they'd hurt the victim- so ALL they did was have Charles  sober the abuser up.  It seems the abuser drank and hurt his kid ALL because his late wife died in childbirth bearing him but that didn't stop him from having this tiny boy do virtually ALL the work in their house and farm !  Yeah, they were one-shot but does anyone truly think that getting an abuser off the sauce one time but otherwise attempting to mete zero consequences for abuse would guarantee the abuser to forever quit abusing their victim?!

Graham was adorable and of course Charles like with Albert, got his Pa off the sauce and "well" in a few days...he even told him about his stash. No AA needed, St Charles led the way. If it was only this easy in real life.

Sadly it's very hard to just give up alcohol when it was that bad and that long but you wanted to believe it.

It's not that funny, but one time I laughed when Caroline said that about not separating the boy from his dad, thinking she would get another child, little did she know what the future entailed . : )

Gram_sewtart.thumb.webp.762e09616d9e14ea2a24f96e9c91cc34.webp

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1

I find it funny when Nels said the Ingalls can provide more like that, than the Oelson;s can

Like what? A father who breaks his ribs, and always screws up?

• LOL 2
19 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I find it funny when Nels said the Ingalls can provide more like that, than the Oelson;s can

Like what? A father who breaks his ribs, and always screws up?

Yes, Nels was a good dad, Harriet spoiled the kids, but he didn't. They really weren't "bad" most of the time and Willie turned out to be more mischievous than a bully etc. Albert did some not so nice things, wasn't Charle's fault per se. He smoked, caused havoc with that, lied about the bees, put in ad so Nel's would lose items in his store he paid for, got on drugs. I think Willie was much less stress. 

• Like 3
On 5/4/2024 at 6:29 AM, debraran said:

Yes, Nels was a good dad, Harriet spoiled the kids, but he didn't. They really weren't "bad" most of the time and Willie turned out to be more mischievous than a bully etc. Albert did some not so nice things, wasn't Charle's fault per se. He smoked, caused havoc with that, lied about the bees, put in ad so Nel's would lose items in his store he paid for, got on drugs. I think Willie was much less stress. 

Yeah, Willie  purloining the Mercantile's candy supply and occasionally echoing the maternal prejudices he heard annoyed Nels but he was much easier to raise than Albert wound up being for the Ingallses!

Also, it was interesting to see Willie actually become a popular kid with both genders by the time of his teenhood  and even become friends with Albert despite their elder sisters' warring history!

Towards the end, one somehow wondered if he deliberately said/did things to get sent to the schoolhouse corner just for old times' sake instead of seeking to cause any trouble (although I wished he'd piped up about himself having vandalized Mr. Applewood's briefcase instead of letting Mr. Applewood be ready to use her as his literal whipping girl before Charles beat him out of it)!

• Like 4

Anyone around who still wants to hash over this series?

IIRC, at least one of the last episodes in which the Ingallses were in Burr Oak, somehow they had a telephone in their apartment. Did I imagine this? How could they have afforded a telephone. .or for that matter Albert's intended medical school tuition?

I'm still here. I don't remember a telephone (or Burr Oak) but didn't Albert get a scholarship? Remembering, of course, that Albert both died and became a doctor. 

In my mind, Season 9 and the movies have very little to do with the rest of the series. 

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Anyone around who still wants to hash over this series?

IIRC, at least one of the last episodes in which the Ingallses were in Burr Oak, somehow they had a telephone in their apartment. Did I imagine this? How could they have afforded a telephone. .or for that matter Albert's intended medical school tuition?

I do remember Carolyn talking on a phone to her aunt and how Charles didn’t really want to see her and what a nice place they had with rooms and doors and all that. They never brought up how anything was paid for although they supposedly got better money in the city, their children seem to win things or get scholarships in the past    I know there were only a few shots in their city place, but it was nice with furniture and I always thought that Carolyn must’ve been lost having so many rooms ;) 

• Like 2

Totally unbelievable Charles went from farmer, mill worker  miner, nitro hauler, gold miner, woodworker, freight driver, only to finally afford a decent house with rooms and a phone by becoming a sales person for upscale men's clothing.

Did that job last, or did he move on right away? I don't re watch season 9 or the movies much at all so I can't remember

• Like 2
2 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Totally unbelievable Charles went from farmer, mill worker  miner, nitro hauler, gold miner, woodworker, freight driver, only to finally afford a decent house with rooms and a phone by becoming a sales person for upscale men's clothing.

Did that job last, or did he move on right away? I don't re watch season 9 or the movies much at all so I can't remember

Didn't he quit the clothing store when he went BACK to Walnut Grove due to Albert and the morphine

5 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

Didn't he quit the clothing store when he went BACK to Walnut Grove due to Albert and the morphine

I thought there was a spat with the boss and charles maybe quit. But his plan seemed to be dump Albert on Laura in WG and go back to the rest of the family. If he quit the clothing store job and did something else when he went back, I have no idea.

31 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

I thought there was a spat with the boss and charles maybe quit. But his plan seemed to be dump Albert on Laura in WG and go back to the rest of the family. If he quit the clothing store job and did something else when he went back, I have no idea.

I just remember the owner telling Charles he would have to work late...again and Charles threw a fit then a police officer came to the door and told Charles and Charles said he had to leave then he and the boss argued and Charles stormed out.......but he kept his shirt on

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Didn't he quit the clothing store when he went BACK to Walnut Grove due to Albert and the morFEEN

ftfy

But yes, the comically mean owner of the clothing store said Charles shouldn't bother coming back if he left that night. As far as I know, they didn't show the store again. I don't know what they showed in the movies because the only one I can stomach is Bless the Little Children or whatever it's called. 

13 hours ago, debraran said:

I do remember Carolyn talking on a phone to her aunt and how Charles didn’t really want to see her and what a nice place they had with rooms and doors and all that. They never brought up how anything was paid for although they supposedly got better money in the city, their children seem to win things or get scholarships in the past    I know there were only a few shots in their city place, but it was nice with furniture and I always thought that Carolyn must’ve been lost having so many rooms ;) 

Do we know if the aunt is Lydia (Charlotte's sister) or one of Fredrick's or Lewis's sisters?

(edited)
6 hours ago, kav said:

Do we know if the aunt is Lydia (Charlotte's sister) or one of Fredrick's or Lewis's sisters?

I wish I knew what episode, but they were permanently there (and I don't watch later ones often) and she was on phone and later told Charles who called and he was not pleased in a sarcastic way of seeing her. I think phone was in living room near stairs and you might have gotten a quick shot of the kitchen. It was like seeing her at the Olesons in a way, out of place but I wish we saw more. Kids must have had bedrooms and there was a lot more to clean than the kitchen/dining/bedroom area she had with little house.

I don't think it was Albert on drugs but maybe a later one.

Edited by debraran
1 hour ago, debraran said:

I wish I knew what episode, but they were permanently there (and I don't watch later ones often) and she was on phone and later told Charles who called and he was not pleased in a sarcastic way of seeing her. I think phone was in living room near stairs and you might have gotten a quick shot of the kitchen. It was like seeing her at the Olesons in a way, out of place but I wish we saw more. Kids must have had bedrooms and there was a lot more to clean than the kitchen/dining/bedroom area she had with little house.

I don't think it was Albert on drugs but maybe a later one.

I think it was the final episode.  Karen Grassle wasn't in any episodes until the final one. She agreed to come back when they blew the town up.  

IIRC when Caroline told Charles her aunt was coming and he wasn't happy about it. One of them suggested the aunt stay with the kids and they go back to WG for a visit.  

• Like 1
(edited)

Wow, I will try  to post some pics, I haven't watched that episode in a LONG time. I forgot how well they were doing, nice place, Pa got 4 weeks paid vacation, he's taking Caroline out to eat, and "did she get his suit out of the cleaners" : )

I'm not too savvy when it says pic is too big, how to make it smaller but just watching the first 10 min on Amazon I caught so much. They even had light bulbs in their chandelier that looked like mine but I guess they were invented in 1800s. They had nice furniture and kitchen, wish I saw the bedrooms. lol  They had a victrola and nice stove  I swear they seem to be living better than when he thought he had an inheritance

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1
On 5/16/2024 at 6:40 AM, Mr. Sparkle said:

Looking at google maps, Walnut Grove is a freakin' Metropolis compared to Burr Oak! 

True that! It's main claim to fame has been being the birthplace of RL Carrie Ingalls -and I'm sure the folks in that  community (which has always been tiny and rural)  had a good laugh seeing it portrayed as a big bad metropolis in LHOTP!

12 hours ago, debraran said:

Wow, I will try  to post some pics, I haven't watched that episode in a LONG time. I forgot how well they were doing, nice place, Pa got 4 weeks paid vacation, he's taking Caroline out to eat, and "did she get his suit out of the cleaners" : )

I'm not too savvy when it says pic is too big, how to make it smaller but just watching the first 10 min on Amazon I caught so much. They even had light bulbs in their chandelier that looked like mine but I guess they were invented in 1800s. They had nice furniture and kitchen, wish I saw the bedrooms. lol  They had a victrola and nice stove  I swear they seem to be living better than when he thought he had an inheritance

Maybe the 'lightbulbs' were for gaslights as opposed to electric lights. Yes, coal gas was a popular form of illumination for the mid- to late- 19th century city folks even inside their own homes, though of course one had to pay a utility for it.

On 5/17/2024 at 6:14 AM, Lisa418722 said:

IIRC when Caroline told Charles her aunt was coming and he wasn't happy about it. One of them suggested the aunt stay with the kids and they go back to WG for a visit.  

aunt tess, who charles disliked because she talked a lot and was into health food that "tasted like grass"

so hey let's leave foist her off on the kids while we take a trip and blow up walnut grove.

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

True that! It's main claim to fame has been being the birthplace of RL Carrie Ingalls -and I'm sure the folks in that  community (which has always been tiny and rural)  had a good laugh seeing it portrayed as a big bad metropolis in LHOTP!

Maybe the 'lightbulbs' were for gaslights as opposed to electric lights. Yes, coal gas was a popular form of illumination for the mid- to late- 19th century city folks even inside their own homes, though of course one had to pay a utility for it.

He might have been thinking of that, but they looked like big white 60 watt bulbs and they were facing down, not the way gas lights looked in pics I saw. Those were smaller. But I didn't expect them to be accurate on LHOP in the 70's. They had cleaning solvents but picking his suit up at the cleaners seemed odd too but just a way for us to know they didn't have money worries right now.

I didn't like the later episodes but it was nice to see in her later years in fictional show, Caroline would be warm and protected in her home and not out getting the animals in blizzard and they probably had inside plumbing.

• Like 1

People, please. Charles was a huge success in the men’s clothing biz because of his charm and sparkling personality. He even came up with the idea of idea of putting a little horse logo on men’s shirts, inspired by Laura’s late horse Bunny.

As for Albert’s medical school tuition: college is tuition free in heaven.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

How many times did Charles try to take off his shirt while selling clothes? lol

Boss had to keep telling him that the customers try on the shirts, not him. And Charles's defense is he's not taking off his shirt to put another one on. LOL

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Someone needs to put together a resume for Charles. Jobs, dates of employment, accomplishments, reasons for leaving, activism, volunteerism, interests...

Edited by QQQQ
  • Like 1

Just saw "Back to School" Caroline asked Charles to help with dishes and he said that's not a man's job

A brand new season and a brand new bad boy Charles!!!

"Honey I thought you like my apple fritters"

"No, they suck!"

"Honey can I have money to get some spices"

"Get a job and pay for your own!"

2 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Just saw "Back to School" Caroline asked Charles to help with dishes and he said that's not a man's job

A punch to the ribs would have been an appropriate response from Caroline.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

A punch to the ribs would have been an appropriate response from Caroline.

"You know Chris the handyman helped me with dished and when I say handyman I mean he was handy with those hands and he was for sure a Man (sigh)"

(cut to Charles)

spacer.png

9 hours ago, QQQQ said:

Someone needs to put together a resume for Charles. Jobs, dates of employment, accomplishments, reasons for leaving, activism, volunteerism, interests...

and injuries

Edited by jason88cubs
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2