Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: Criminal Intent - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Proving time really does fly, I was looking up an actor on an old CI episode to see if it was the same actor in a Mothership episode. (It was.) While looking at the CI side on IMDB that the actor (David Lansbury) was in, "Crazy", the one with Michael Gross as the killer shrink in S1, the cast list showed the actors that were in it. (Apparently, Lansbury did play the jilted boyfriend of one of the victims in the Betty Broderick-themed Mothership episode, "Wages of Love", in Season 2. He played dirty cop Michael Stovic in "Crazy".)

Remember little Sophie, the daughter of the victim that Bobby drew a red crayon from behind her ear? Check her out now. Wouldn't even know it was the same girl!

I officially feel so old. LOL!

ETA: Never even knew it was her, but apparently, per IMDB, she also played the granddaughter in the Stephen Colbert episode, "The Saint", in S3, Charlotte, who said her dolls would not pray to Brother Jerome anymore and was also in "To The Bone" in S5 as the youngest daughter (at the sleepover the night before) and family member to be killed by the foster sons of Whoopi Goldberg's character.

I honestly never knew it was the same kid.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

CI on all day on Sundance today - I just watched Mad Hops, that’s one of my favorite season 3 episodes, really good plot and compelling villain, I liked the back and forth between Goren and Powell, Powell was smug and condescending and quite pathetic really. I liked the investigation a lot in that episode, an extremely intricate case but it made perfect sense and wasn’t hard to follow,, unlike certain other episodes where there was too much going on to follow or there was a loose end. I think Mad Hops is my favorite of the Bishop episodes, along with Sound Bodies, by the time of Mad Hops, Goren and Bishop were working together pretty well.

I didn’t like Karen Watkins very much, she was just using Powell to help her son out, she was stringing him along, she had no interest in him but pretended to be so Powell would help her son, she didn’t realize how far Powell would go to help her and her son or how obsessed Powell was with her.

I also liked how they mentioned a bit of Goren’s personal background without it being melodramatic, like it would get in seasons 6-7.

The scene in the morgue where Goren tries to swab the victims nose and Rodgers swats him away was funny, I love Rodgers and her interactions with the detectives. 

• Love 1

I didn’t like Karen Watkins very much, she was just using Powell to help her son out, she was stringing him along, she had no interest in him but pretended to be so Powell would help her son, she didn’t realize how far Powell would go to help her and her son or how obsessed Powell was with her.

She wasn't very noble, it's true but I loved her voice. It reminded me a lot of Lena Horne's, my grandpa's life long crush.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Just like Sarah Lindstrom with crazy Dr. Charles Webb in "Crazy" in S1. She seemed to like the perks but strung him along, leading to him killing her estranged brother-in-law [since Sarah thought he molested her niece, even as Webb knew otherwise!].

I should feel sorry for these women, but I don't.

Didn't feel sorry for Powell or Webb, either, though!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Just like Sarah Lindstrom with crazy Dr. Charles Webb in "Crazy" in S1. She seemed to like the perks but strung him along, leading to him killing her estranged brother-in-law [since Sarah thought he molested her niece, even as Webb knew otherwise!].

I should feel sorry for these women, but I don't.

Didn't feel sorry for Powell or Webb, either, though!

Yes I’ve never made that connection before but yeah Sara was stringing along Webb, except I wasn’t sure why she was doing it, Karen Watkins strung along Powell to help her son, I wasn’t sure what Sara got out of her relationship with Webb. I didn’t feel sorry for either woman at all. And no I didn’t find Powell or Webb sympathetic, both were somewhat similar perps, Powell killed to cover up the fact that he was pumping up stats for Ben Watkins, which he did because he was in love with Karen, while Webb killed solely because he was obsessed with Sara and thought she would be grateful to him for killing the victim. Both were rather pathetic, although Webb was somewhat off his rocker (he wasn’t legally insane but he was a bit of a nut) while Powell wasn’t.

One question - did Webb know his victim didn’t molest his daughter? I know he talked to the daughter, did he figure out she wasn’t molested. I don’t remember if that was made clear or not. I think he didn’t care, he just killed him because he thought Sara would appreciate it, but did he know of his victim’s innocence? The victim in that episode was using his influence to get the judge to side with him in his custody fight, so he wasn’t very sympathetic either IMO, whereas both of the victims in Mad Hops were completely innocent and killed just because they stumbled on to Powell’s scheme. Interesting comparisons between the 2 episodes.

• Love 1
On 4/14/2021 at 1:30 AM, Xeliou66 said:

One question - did Webb know his victim didn’t molest his daughter? I know he talked to the daughter, did he figure out she wasn’t molested.

Goren mentioned that Webb knew, so I'm guessing Sophie told Webb about the ice cream and pooping her pants just like she told Goren. But letting Sarah think her brother-in-law molested her niece likely gave Webb the excuse to kill her BIL so Sarah would feel "grateful".

Remember how shocked he was when Sarah recoiled from him after Webb confessed to murder. The nut truly thought Sarah would have been happy. The facts never mattered to Webb.

• Love 3

Okay yes I agree Webb knew the girl hadn’t been molested. And yeah the facts certainly didn’t matter to him, like I said, he was somewhat off his rocker, even though he was faking insanity. That’s a really good episode, Webb is certainly a memorable villain.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Okay yes I agree Webb knew the girl hadn’t been molested. And yeah the facts certainly didn’t matter to him, like I said, he was somewhat off his rocker, even though he was faking insanity. That’s a really good episode, Webb is certainly a memorable villain.

Oh yeah, Michael Gross was capable of exhibiting a dark side, all the way back to Family Ties.

• Love 3

The mother in "Crazy" should have had some sort of charge filed, though. She knowingly lied about molestation, which arguably set the whole ball rolling. G/E just blowing that off made zero sense to me.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

The mother in "Crazy" should have had some sort of charge filed, though. She knowingly lied about molestation, which arguably set the whole ball rolling. G/E just blowing that off made zero sense to me.

THANK YOU.

I do not give a shit that her ex was a jerk and that he was using influence to get custody, if you’re the kind of bitch* that lies about your child being molested just to win custody, you don’t even deserve to be a mother.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I agree with this, the mom should’ve been arrested for fabricating the story about the daughter being abused. I don’t know if she exactly set the whole thing in motion, as Webb was obsessed with Sara and didn’t really care whether or not the victim had abused his daughter or not, but the mom fabricating the story gave Webb someone to have killed to “impress” Sara. She should’ve been charged.

Crazy is a really good episode, intricate plot with a memorable villain.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

THANK YOU.

I do not give a shit that her ex was a jerk and that he was using influence to get custody, if you’re the kind of bitch* that lies about your child being molested just to win custody, you don’t even deserve to be a mother.

I don't think they could get that to stand up in court. Too much hearsay. No outcry witness. Shaky.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't think they could get that to stand up in court. Too much hearsay. No outcry witness. Shaky.

Intellectually, I know that. But it irked big time that her lie basically was the impetus for this entire case. Yet she now gets the kids free and clear. I can only hope, as the kids get older, they learn of everything.

Then again, maybe not. That would probably be too much and mess THEM up.

But Julie Feldman should face consequences.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Intellectually, I know that. But it irked big time that her lie basically was the impetus for this entire case. Yet she now gets the kids free and clear. I can only hope, as the kids get older, they learn of everything.

No one was sympathetic in Crazy except for the children. The victim was using his influence to manipulate the judge, the ex wife made up the molestation allegation, Sara was just stringing Webb along for some reason, and Webb and the hitman Stovic were killers. Did they say what sentence Stovic got? I know Carver made a deal with him for giving him Webb, but did they say what sentence he got? It’s been a while since I’ve seen the episode. It is a great episode, I love that Skoda made an appearance to assist them, it’s too bad he didn’t appear more often.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

No one was sympathetic in Crazy except for the children. The victim was using his influence to manipulate the judge, the ex wife made up the molestation allegation, Sara was just stringing Webb along for some reason, and Webb and the hitman Stovic were killers. Did they say what sentence Stovic got? I know Carver made a deal with him for giving him Webb, but did they say what sentence he got? It’s been a while since I’ve seen the episode. It is a great episode, I love that Skoda made an appearance to assist them, it’s too bad he didn’t appear more often.

I don't remember the length of time ever being mentioned for Stovic, but I could be wrong and it was mentioned. Maybe if I get time, I'll look it up on Peacock or WE, since the show is now in S10 and should be circling back around any day again!

I don't feel sorry for Stovic despite his past [molested], but being an ex-cop, he'd probably do most of his time in solitary for his own safety, I'd guess!

• Love 2
9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I’d be fine with the son finding and filing for emancipation.

• Love 3

I noticed a bit of possible character non-continuity. In S1, Eames tells Goren - in "The Faithful" - how Father Someone or Other would LOVE to baptize Goren. That's when Goren tells her he was a lapsed altar boy and Eames joked she should have known. From that, I inferred she was Catholic, if not religious.

However, "The Consoler" from S10 aired last night and Eames joked about the Catholic dating site on Theresa's iPad, musing, "I wonder if I'm too old for Catechism class?"

Not anything huge, but it popped out at me.

• Useful 2

I watched View From Up Here tonight, I think this is underrated episode, I don’t recall it being discussed on here but I like this episode - good case, complex but not hard to follow, Pearson’s plan to frame Anne Marie was ice cold and it almost got a woman killed for no reason other than to throw suspicion off of himself, he was an evil bastard. Anne Marie needed a shrink badly, she was nuts and I hope she was institutionalized for her attempt to kill Hilary Martz.

I was impressed with Carver instantly knowing what biblical passage Anne Marie was referring to when she mentioned it, we never knew if Carver was religious or not but he obviously knew the Bible well. Carver was such a underused and underrated character.

Goren playing with the saw and Deakins saying “be careful with that thing” was classic Goren.

I liked the scenery and the views in the episode, that was well done.

I think this is an underrated episode, I don’t recall it every being discussed but it’s a very good episode.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I watched View From Up Here tonight, I think this is underrated episode, I don’t recall it being discussed on here but I like this episode - good case, complex but not hard to follow, Pearson’s plan to frame Anne Marie was ice cold and it almost got a woman killed for no reason other than to throw suspicion off of himself, he was an evil bastard. Anne Marie needed a shrink badly, she was nuts and I hope she was institutionalized for her attempt to kill Hilary Martz.

I was impressed with Carver instantly knowing what biblical passage Anne Marie was referring to when she mentioned it, we never knew if Carver was religious or not but he obviously knew the Bible well. Carver was such a underused and underrated character.

Goren playing with the saw and Deakins saying “be careful with that thing” was classic Goren.

I liked the scenery and the views in the episode, that was well done.

I think this is an underrated episode, I don’t recall it every being discussed but it’s a very good episode.

I agree. Plus you can never have too much Adam Goldberg craziness.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah Victor did have a rather crazed look in his eyes. He was another killer who killed out of obsession, he was obsessed with Darla, and he went to great lengths to get rid of her husband. The episode was really good though in having a lot of suspects and good twists, without being too convoluted to follow.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah Victor did have a rather crazed look in his eyes. He was another killer who killed out of obsession, he was obsessed with Darla, and he went to great lengths to get rid of her husband. The episode was really good though in having a lot of suspects and good twists, without being too convoluted to follow.

Yes! Some of the episodes were really hard to follow sometimes.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I remember when he played Chandler's new roommate, Eddie, after Joey briefly moved out on Friends. Now HE was nuts! LOL! Watching Chandler sleep, having a goldfish cracker in an aquarium as a pet, playing with mannequin heads.

Say what you will, but Adam Goldberg has made quite a career out of playing insane!

As for his character Victor here, I cannot fathom - even loaded as she said she was - what Darla must have seen in him to even screw him. I liked Alex's comment, upon seeing Victor on tape, saying to him, the fancier the building, the bigger the vermin in the walls.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I remember when he played Chandler's new roommate, Eddie, after Joey briefly moved out on Friends. Now HE was nuts! LOL! Watching Chandler sleep, having a goldfish cracker in an aquarium as a pet, playing with mannequin heads.

Say what you will, but Adam Goldberg has made quite a career out of playing insane!

As for his character Victor here, I cannot fathom - even loaded as she said she was - what Darla must have seen in him to even screw him. I liked Alex's comment, upon seeing Victor on tape, saying to him, the fancier the building, the bigger the vermin in the walls.

One of my favorite Eamsisms was when looking at a picture of a so called ladies man "He looks like all three stooges."

• Love 3

Yeah I didn’t get what Darla saw in Victor either, he was an unattractive, sleazy creep. I do like that episode a lot, like I say, it was a good case with an interesting plot and a compelling villain. 

• Love 2
On 4/21/2021 at 10:33 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah I didn’t get what Darla saw in Victor either, he was an unattractive, sleazy creep. I do like that episode a lot, like I say, it was a good case with an interesting plot and a compelling villain. 

Maybe it was just a case of beer (or, in this instance, champagne as that is what Darla said she had!) goggles. 😎

• Love 2

"Con-Text" is on WE, the one with the Gracenote mind bending. Never realized until now that one of its former members, the dentist that Goren/Eames talk to, was the late Mark Blum (best known as the romantic rival to Crocodile Dundee in the movie of the same name)!

So he was in two episodes, the other being "Proud Flesh" in S5.

Funny that I recognized him in the latter but not the former. He seemed to be everywhere. So sad that he succumbed to COVID last year.

• Useful 1
On 3/30/2021 at 10:12 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I like Suite Sorrow, that was one of the most twisted episodes in the franchise, with the dad working with his lover to try to gain control of the hotel and having the lover become the daughters fiancé, that was one of the most shocking twists on CI when they revealed the dad was the lover of the daughters fiancé. Like I say, twisted episode. 

I liked the crossover appearance of the defense attorney Peter Behrens, he appeared in several Mothership episodes.

I also liked ME Rodgers line about Botox leaving a good looking corpse. 

I like this episode too, but the Botox plot always irks me. Julie goes to the Botox guy with a terrible migraine and asks for Botox injections. Botox is used to prevent migraine, not to treat. It won’t help you at all if you’re in pain. It is not an analgesic. Trussssst me. 😡

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

"Pas De Deux" with ninny Margie is on WE. Still cannot fathom how she is a chemistry teacher. Those poor students. LOL! But I do like when Bobby/Alex go floor shopping and when Bobby pulls Donnie in for a dance in the interrogation room.

Charles Rocket was a good actor. Still remember the hoopla as a kid when he got the boot from SNL for saying the "F" word live on the air during the show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

A detail I never understood about "Mis-Labeled". Okay, I get it was cold, so maybe that helped, but how did the guys that discovered the body parts in the suitcase NOT...um, smell anything hinky beforehand?!

• Useful 1
On 4/29/2021 at 6:05 PM, WendyCR72 said:

"Pas De Deux" with ninny Margie is on WE. Still cannot fathom how she is a chemistry teacher. Those poor students. LOL! But I do like when Bobby/Alex go floor shopping and when Bobby pulls Donnie in for a dance in the interrogation room.

Charles Rocket was a good actor. Still remember the hoopla as a kid when he got the boot from SNL for saying the "F" word live on the air during the show.

I call that the dancing episode.  Yes I wouldn't mind taking a twirl on the dance floor with Det. Goren either *meow purrrrrr*

Oh poor Margie.  Her life appeared to be sooo....dull, average, and I think as a woman she just wanted someone to shake it up a bit.  God bless her husband, he seemed nice but wow the guy was beyond vanilla.  There was no excitement, no spark, nothing to look forward to in her life.  I can understand why she did the things she did. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dirtybubble said:

I call that the dancing episode.  Yes I wouldn't mind taking a twirl on the dance floor with Det. Goren either *meow purrrrrr*

Oh poor Margie.  Her life appeared to be sooo....dull, average, and I think as a woman she just wanted someone to shake it up a bit.  God bless her husband, he seemed nice but wow the guy was beyond vanilla.  There was no excitement, no spark, nothing to look forward to in her life.  I can understand why she did the things she did. 

Still don’t feel sorry for her. Cool motive, still a spineless twat.

”Death Roe” is on with Chris Penn as the guy who molested his daughter and not only murdered her husband, but killed an innocent food critic just to frame son-in-law for her murder. Gotten called him an ogre—that’s entirely too kind a word for him.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

”Death Roe” is on with Chris Penn as the guy who molested his daughter and not only murdered her husband, but killed an innocent food critic just to frame son-in-law for her murder. Gotten called him an ogre—that’s entirely too kind a word for him.

No kidding. I would call him raping, murdering scum.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I’m watching Death Roe as well right now, and I think Tommy is one of the most repulsive, evil killers on the entire L&O franchises, he was just pure evil. He murdered 2 innocent people in brutal ways just so he could keep on molesting his daughter, he was just a repulsive sack of human waste.

It is a great episode, very memorable, I loved Goren’s final confrontation with Tommy.

I always thought it was weird how Duke and his wife either had no clue about how evil Tommy was or just ignored it, it seemed like the wife knew about Tommy abusing Beatrice especially given that Tommy assaulted her, why didn’t she go to the police about Tommy? And Duke had to be completely oblivious to not see who Tommy really was.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Watching The View From Up Here. How did a creepy loser like Victor come up with the scratch to live in a luxury condo building?

He was married, right? Maybe the wife had money.

4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yeah, "ogre" is charitable. Sad that it was likely one of Chris Penn's last acting appearances, though. But he played Tommy Onorato to evil perfection. Hard to believe he was shy, awkward Willard in the original Footloose all the way back in 1984 with Kevin Bacon.

And as for Margie, if I were her husband, I'd've let her ass rot. She's lucky he hired her a lawyer.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Just flipped on the TV and "In The Wee Small Hours" just started on WE😎 The scummy Garrett family in all its perverse glory.

I just love how Goren takes the judge apart, piece by piece.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Just flipped on the TV and "In The Wee Small Hours" just started on WE😎 The scummy Garrett family in all its perverse glory.

44 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I just love how Goren takes the judge apart, piece by piece.

As I’ve said before this is arguably my favorite CI episode, it was just such an excellent 2 part episode. The Garrett family were excellent villains. I also love Goren’s confrontation with Judge Garrett, he did a great job of getting him to explode, and as I’ve said before I don’t think I would’ve been able to restrain myself if I were in Goren’s shoes, I would’ve completely understood if Goren had beaten Judge Perv to a bloody pulp, but Goren was able to keep control of himself and get Judge Perv to incriminate himself.

So many good moments in that episode.

• Love 5
On 5/6/2021 at 7:42 PM, Xeliou66 said:

As I’ve said before this is arguably my favorite CI episode, it was just such an excellent 2 part episode. The Garrett family were excellent villains. I also love Goren’s confrontation with Judge Garrett, he did a great job of getting him to explode, and as I’ve said before I don’t think I would’ve been able to restrain myself if I were in Goren’s shoes, I would’ve completely understood if Goren had beaten Judge Perv to a bloody pulp, but Goren was able to keep control of himself and get Judge Perv to incriminate himself.

I also did like seeing Alex doing her best to protect Bobby. She knows how Bobby felt about his mom, she knew it was a sore topic in terms of his mother being mistreated, and she knew Bobby had a temper, so she sprung into action by calling Carver. Sort of a guardian angel in that sense.

Then there was the whole Madame LaFarge talk between Arthur Branch and Ron Carver. It was nice, as we have said, to see CI be tied to the rest of the franchise with that cameo (and also with Olivet in the same season). It happened infrequently, so it was nice when it actually happened.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I also did like seeing Alex doing her best to protect Bobby. She knows how Bobby felt about his mom, she knew it was a sore topic in terms of his mother being mistreated, and she knew Bobby had a temper, so she sprung into action by calling Carver. Sort of a guardian angel in that sense.

Then there was the whole Madame LaFarge talk between Arthur Branch and Ron Carver. It was nice, as we have said, to see CI be tied to the rest of the franchise with that cameo (and also with Olivet in the same season). It happened infrequently, so it was nice when it actually happened.

I loved Branch’s appearance as well, it was nice to see him appear on the show. My favorite part of his cameo was when he tore up the original arrest warrant for the judge and got a new one with his signature on it, quipping that it would be “worth 2 points on election day”. I liked Arthur’s colorful personality, I know fans tend to be split on whether they liked him or not but I liked him. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I loved it when Branch tore up the arrest warrant, pulled another one

1 minute ago, Xeliou66 said:

I loved Branch’s appearance as well, it was nice to see him appear on the show. My favorite part of his cameo was when he tore up the original arrest warrant for the judge and got a new one with his signature on it, quipping that it would be “worth 2 points on election day”. I liked Arthur’s colorful personality, I know fans tend to be split on whether they liked him or not but I liked him. 

I liked him that day. He was a pragmatist but he backed up his people.

• Love 2

Yeah, Arthur issuing an arrest warrant with his name on it was a nice added touch, even if he did do it because it was an election year. At least he was upfront about it!  😊

• Love 2
On 5/6/2021 at 7:42 PM, Xeliou66 said:

So many good moments in that episode.

These episodes are my fav as well.  As a Star Trek fan I was super excited to see Colm Meaney in this role!  He's pretty good at playing a villain (Con Air).  I think he just has one of those faces.  =D

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

These episodes are my fav as well.  As a Star Trek fan I was super excited to see Colm Meaney in this role!  He's pretty good at playing a villain (Con Air).  I think he just has one of those faces.  =D

Not intended as an insult at all but I always think of him as the poor man's Gene Hackman.

3 hours ago, Sigmagirl said:

Am I missing something? How did Simon Fife know about the sesame logs?

It was some convoluted deal involving the neighbor kid and his dad who I guess wrote book about the murder and had been emailing Simon for backround material and he blabbed about the candy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Colm Meany had also worked with Vincent D'Onofrio in the movie, Claire Dolan, back in the '90s, too. And Matt Damon had one of his very first (uncredited) roles in Mystic Pizza, another movie that VDO was in.

So it seems like some that worked with him in movies seemed willing to do CI (even though Damon's role only involved his voice in "The Unblinking Eye" in S4!).

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Colm Meany had also worked with Vincent D'Onofrio in the movie, Claire Dolan, back in the '90s, too. And Matt Damon had one of his very first (uncredited) roles in Mystic Pizza, another movie that VDO was in.

So it seems like some that worked with him in movies seemed willing to do CI (even though Damon's role only involved his voice in "The Unblinking Eye" in S4!).

Was he the director when Ed kept fluffing his lines?