Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: Criminal Intent - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Shadow Lass said:

Incidentally, Kathryn Erbe was in an episode of ELEMENTARY...

Yep, S4! Eric Bogosian also guest starred in an episode. Thinking TPTB were fans of Criminal Intent, fitting, as it was another take on Watson and Sherlock Holmes, after all!

Depending on the weather for any given episodes, I always felt cold or wet/whatever, just looking at the actors in the episodes! (I recall Barek/Logan REALLY bundled up - with copious snow - in "Drama Giocoso", and I recall Goren/Eames sharing an umbrella in the rain in "Rispetto", just as a couple more examples!

• Love 2

Yep, S4! Eric Bogosian also guest starred in an episode. Thinking TPTB were fans of Criminal Intent, fitting, as it was another take on Watson and Sherlock Holmes, after all!

I'm currently watching Frame and Ross is just so damned ready to believe that Bobby killed his own brother. Fucking Ross. 😡

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm currently watching Frame and Ross is just so damned ready to believe that Bobby killed his own brother. Fucking Ross. 😡

Ross was such a condescending asshole, and yeah he was quick to believe Goren might be a killer, he should’ve known better. And it was very inappropriate of Ross to get Rodgers to give him the info about Goren’s bio dad being a killer, and Rodgers shouldn’t have given it to him anyway, Goren was right to get pissed at Rodgers. 

• Applause 3

I absolutely loved the sort of wordless "Fuck you!" look that Eames gave Ross when he told her to clear Bobby. (I know I said that before, but it bears repeating.) Ditto the scene where the forensic accounting dude clammed up when he saw Ross was with Eames. Dude seemed almost afraid of Alex there. LOL!

• Love 4

I saw A Murderer Among Us today, this is a stellar episode, and Brody is a chilling and memorable villain, his outburst at the end was quite memorable, he was so filled with hate and rage. His sister was a bigoted witch as well. I wonder how the daughter was able to move forward knowing that her dad was a bigoted serial killer and her mom killed herself because she couldn’t live with knowing it. Goren did some great work in this one, although I have to say they are lucky Brody incriminated himself at the end because I don’t think they would’ve had enough evidence to prosecute him for the murders. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I saw A Murderer Among Us today, this is a stellar episode, and Brody is a chilling and memorable villain, his outburst at the end was quite memorable, he was so filled with hate and rage. His sister was a bigoted witch as well. I wonder how the daughter was able to move forward knowing that her dad was a bigoted serial killer and her mom killed herself because she couldn’t live with knowing it. Goren did some great work in this one, although I have to say they are lucky Brody incriminated himself at the end because I don’t think they would’ve had enough evidence to prosecute him for the murders. 

Oh, he was just a monster and so was his sister. And their father was equally evil.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, he was just a monster and so was his sister. And their father was equally evil.

Oh yes their father was an abusive bastard, it’s sadly not surprising Brody became violent and hateful given his toxic family. I do wonder if his wife knew he was an anti Semitic bigot, it was said he hid his emotions a lot but it seems like some of that stuff would’ve shown through, he was so filled with hate.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

Oh yes their father was an abusive bastard, it’s sadly not surprising Brody became violent and hateful given his toxic family. I do wonder if his wife knew he was an anti Semitic bigot, it was said he hid his emotions a lot but it seems like some of that stuff would’ve shown through, he was so filled with hate.

I think she fully realized it when she went to work at the Jewish old folks home. He was pretty vocal about that.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I think she fully realized it when she went to work at the Jewish old folks home. He was pretty vocal about that.

It made me wonder why she stayed married to him. I guess she quickly figured out he was responsible for the murder and made her plan to kill herself because she couldn’t live with the guilt, but I wonder why she didn’t just file for divorce when she realized what a bigoted hatemonger he was.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

It made me wonder why she stayed married to him. I guess she quickly figured out he was responsible for the murder and made her plan to kill herself because she couldn’t live with the guilt, but I wonder why she didn’t just file for divorce when she realized what a bigoted hatemonger he was.

Agreed. And there had to have been a way she could have turned him in.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Agreed. And there had to have been a way she could have turned him in.

Although I’m not sure she had enough evidence to prove her husband was a killer to the police/DA’s, and she might’ve been afraid her husband would turn his rage on their daughter if she went to the police with what she had, especially if he found out about the Jewish heritage of his wife and daughter. But I didn’t get why she didn’t just leave him when she discovered what a hateful bigot he was. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Well, as Goren brought up to Brody, his wife was probably worried what Brody could do to Claire - his own daughter - if he ever discovered she was Jewish.

Based on his reaction upon discovering that bit of news, she was right to worry.

I can only imagine just how screwed up Claire was after all that. (I know she isn't real. LOL!) But I'd hope she would have friends or see a shrink or something.

And, just like the art museum in "Art", the bigoted sister lived in Troy, NY. (Mention of the Troy police.) TPTB either liked reusing locations or maybe one was a history buff. (Uncle Sam - yes, he was real! - is buried here!)

(Nothing will beat Lennie Briscoe mispronouncing my hometown on the Mothership, though! Free publicity, even with the mistake!)

At least the franchise did use names of real areas downstate and upstate!

Said this before, but the actor playing Brody appeared in "Jones" as the bookie that calls Henry Talbot to settle up. His hair was a lot more black there, though.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Although I’m not sure she had enough evidence to prove her husband was a killer to the police/DA’s, and she might’ve been afraid her husband would turn his rage on their daughter if she went to the police with what she had, especially if he found out about the Jewish heritage of his wife and daughter. But I didn’t get why she didn’t just leave him when she discovered what a hateful bigot he was. 

I think she found realized she was a bigot the same time she figured out she was a murderer (and the same time she found out about her own heritage). So yeah, a lot to take in. Like Goren pointed out, her horror and shame and desperation was so intense that she thought Gone Girling herself was the only way to stop him, knowing that she couldn’t live with herself in the aftermath.

Why she didn’t just leave him? Question as old as time. But she had no actual concrete proof and maybe she was afraid that Claire would take her father’s side. After all, Brody did a good job convincing Claire that she was mentally ill after her suicide. Maybe this was her way of avenging all his victims, which I have to respect, even if it was unfair to Claire who now has nobody.

5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, as Goren brought up to Brody, his wife was probably worried what Brody could do to Claire - his own daughter - if he ever discovered she was Jewish.

Based on his reaction upon discovering that bit of news, she was right to worry.

Indeed. Brody did have all the characteristics of an abuser, so even if he never actually laid a hand on Lena or Claire, it really was only a matter of time.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I've always been 100% Team Goren and Eames but Nichols got off a good one today. I was watching Broad Channel and Nichols was looking at an arrest report.

"This was written in fountain pen. What smarmy jackanapes do we know that writes with a fountain pen?"

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I've always been 100% Team Goren and Eames but Nichols got off a good one today. I was watching Broad Channel and Nichols was looking at an arrest report.

"This was written in fountain pen. What smarmy jackanapes do we know that writes with a fountain pen?"

As I said before, though, the actor playing Jackie Dooley there seemed much more chilling to me in S4's "Shibboleth". Frank McNare [the Body by Jake killer] was as coldblooded as they came.

His son, Keith, was lucky to be rid of him...

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

As I said before, though, the actor playing Jackie Dooley there seemed much more chilling to me in S4's "Shibboleth". Frank McNare [the Body by Jake killer] was as coldblooded as they came.

His son, Keith, was lucky to be rid of him...

Oh yes Frank the serial killer from Shibboleth was just pure evil, one of CI’s worst villains (season 4 was chock full of evil villains and dark episodes, as we’ve discussed before). As they said at the end of that episode, when shitbag Frank yelled at his son that he wasn’t his son, that was the best thing he could’ve said to Keith. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

I'm not a huge fan of the Goldblum years but 'Abel & Willing' is one of the most chilling hours of television ever.

I quite liked Goldblum's episodes but he seemed to sap the strength out of all of his partners. Even the great Alex Eames seemed lackluster around him. Whereas, VDO elevated everyone he worked with.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Oh yes Frank the serial killer from Shibboleth was just pure evil, one of CI’s worst villains (season 4 was chock full of evil villains and dark episodes, as we’ve discussed before). As they said at the end of that episode, when shitbag Frank yelled at his son that he wasn’t his son, that was the best thing he could’ve said to Keith. 

Whomever did the casting for the episode did a great job, IMO. The actor playing Keith really did look like he was related to Kevin Conway (who played Frank here, and later Jackie Dooley in "Broad Channel"!).

10 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

I'm not a huge fan of the Goldblum years but 'Abel & Willing' is one of the most chilling hours of television ever.

I can barely watch that one. Especially as it is that disturbing and related to real-life WWII horrors.

No, thanks. There is enough misery in the real world to watch a fictionalized version. (And it also encapsulated a smaller issue I had with S9: Some of the cases started seeming more outlandish, as in, I'm not sure - outside of war - we'd see such a crime committed.)

But at least it was one of the few S9 episodes that did delve back into the psychological formula the show had been known for under G/E. So, there's that.

• Love 4

Another episode is coming up in the usual rotation of the show on WE that I also have complained about a lot already and don't like re-watching much: "Want". (The show is on the tale end of S3 as I type, so it will be airing soon-ish...)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Another episode is coming up in the usual rotation of the show on WE that I also have complained about a lot already and don't like re-watching much: "Want". (The show is on the tale end of S3 as I type, so it will be airing soon-ish...)

Ugh, that's the NPH episode, right? I never undertstood Goren's sympathy for him.

• Love 2

I just watched Want and I will never understand Goren’s sympathy for Tagman, Tagman was one sick fuck, he tortured his victims in awful ways, he drilled into a woman’s skull and poured hot water on it, and he ate part of one victim’s calf muscle. And he wasn’t mentally ill or psychotic, he knew what he was doing, knew it was wrong and planned his crimes carefully. He deserved the death penalty IMO, his crimes truly turned the stomach, the death penalty exists for cases such as heinous torture murders like this. It really pissed me off seeing Goren go to bat for this monster, it was OOC for Goren and one of the few times I was annoyed with him, Carver was right to want the death penalty for him.

• Love 1

On a cheerier note, Happy Birthday to Joan Jett, rock star and occasional actress, who made a good-looking corpse in "Reunion" in Season 7!

If I recall, she was also an occasional guest star in Highlander or a spinoff of such. Think she had short bleached-blonde hair there, however!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Ah, "Death Roe" with creepy chef Tommy Onorato, is on early Thursday morning on WE. Hard to believe Chris Penn died only a year or two after that.

As gross as Tommy was, the episode actually seemed less dark than a lot of S4, which says a lot about how warped that season was.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Ah, "Death Roe" with creepy chef Tommy Onorato, is on early Thursday morning on WE. Hard to believe Chris Penn died only a year or two after that.

As gross as Tommy was, the episode actually seemed less dark than a lot of S4, which says a lot about how warped that season was.

Death Roe was pretty dark, with creep Tommy putting his son in law through the meat grinder, yikes! Season 4 was filled with dark and weird episodes, it’s hard to say which is the darkest. I saw Collective last night, that’s another dark and weird episode and it was odd how the case took a turn from being about tracking down the con woman to finding out who killed her, really weird with the vampire obsessed people and all, but the episode does have one of the best moments in CI history with Goren playing with the toy weapon in the toy shop, that was awesome. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

but the episode does have one of the best moments in CI history with Goren playing with the toy weapon in the toy shop, that was awesome. 

Yeah. And while Goren is, no doubt, having fun with that toy weapon, notice he plays with it when the clerk tries to be cagey with his answers, and he lets up when he gets answers.

One example was when the clerk tells Eames that "Amanda" paid cash. Goren stops and mentions the big profit margin and asks the clerk how that didn't tip him off, the clerk goes silent, and then Goren shoots the gun again. LOL!

That's one way to get the info you seek!

And again, I love that the Philly cop (who sort of reminded me of actor Brad Garrett, a.k.a. Robert Barone in Everybody Loves Raymond in looks/stature) just says he is going for a walk and lets Bobby and Alex do their thing.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah. And while Goren is, no doubt, having fun with that toy weapon, notice he plays with it when the clerk tries to be cagey with his answers, and he lets up when he gets answers.

One example was when the clerk tells Eames that "Amanda" paid cash. Goren stops and mentions the big profit margin and asks the clerk how that didn't tip him off, the clerk goes silent, and then Goren shoots the gun again. LOL!

That's one way to get the info you seek!

And again, I love that the Philly cop (who sort of reminded me of actor Brad Garrett, a.k.a. Robert Barone in Everybody Loves Raymond in looks/stature) just says he is going for a walk and lets Bobby and Alex do their thing.

Oh yes, Goren was using it to get answers, and was thoroughly enjoying it. It was an awesome scene and it was classic Goren.

The rest of the episode was kind of a mess - the first half about tracking down the con artist who got the guy shot was pretty good, but then when it turned to the murder of the con artist and the weird vampire group it just lost its steam and was just weird and not in a good way. Did Dorian kill her because he figured out she was a con artist and was conning him? That’s what I thought but it just was kind of a mess.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Did Dorian kill her because he figured out she was a con artist and was conning him? That’s what I thought but it just was kind of a mess.

That was my take, as well. And the whole Carlotta Francis book angle was an obvious stand in for (the now late herself!) Anne Rice.

• Love 3

A couple of great episodes on this afternoon - first I saw The Good Child, terrific episode, such a diabolical plot by Trevor and Maureen to kill Rachel’s adoptive parents and then planning to kill Rachel for the money, they were so cold and evil. The ending is great where they get Trevor and Maureen to flip on each other and Trevor screaming “EGGCUP” as he’s led away, that was pretty funny in an otherwise serious plot.

Beast was on next, another twisted plot with Gregory the dentist and Colleen and her awful mother. Intricate plot with how Colleen posed as someone else online to get Lisa to take the cocaine laced with dioxin, all because she was still obsessed with Gregory even though she knew Gregory poisoned her sister. Both Gregory and Colleen were fucked up, and Colleen’s mother was such a witch, only caring about her “beautiful” deceased daughter and not caring at all about Colleen. As Carver said “jealousy and desire, what tangled webs they weave”. Great case. Heavy role for Deakins and Carver as well in this one.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

A couple of great episodes on this afternoon - first I saw The Good Child, terrific episode, such a diabolical plot by Trevor and Maureen to kill Rachel’s adoptive parents and then planning to kill Rachel for the money, they were so cold and evil. The ending is great where they get Trevor and Maureen to flip on each other and Trevor screaming “EGGCUP” as he’s led away, that was pretty funny in an otherwise serious plot.

Beast was on next, another twisted plot with Gregory the dentist and Colleen and her awful mother. Intricate plot with how Colleen posed as someone else online to get Lisa to take the cocaine laced with dioxin, all because she was still obsessed with Gregory even though she knew Gregory poisoned her sister. Both Gregory and Colleen were fucked up, and Colleen’s mother was such a witch, only caring about her “beautiful” deceased daughter and not caring at all about Colleen. As Carver said “jealousy and desire, what tangled webs they weave”. Great case. Heavy role for Deakins and Carver as well in this one.

As I said before, I'm sort of surprised that Colleen never tried to kill Mommie Dearest instead of her "beautiful" sis.

Especially since it was clear that Colleen (justifiably, IMO!) hated her mother for pushing Morgan at Gregory to begin with!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

As I said before, I'm sort of surprised that Colleen never tried to kill Mommie Dearest instead of her "beautiful" sis.

Especially since it was clear that Colleen (justifiably, IMO!) hated her mother for pushing Morgan at Gregory to begin with!

Colleen didn’t kill her sister, Gregory did, Gregory caught her cheating on him and poisoned her, and years later Colleen poisoned Gregory’s wife because of her obsession with/still being in love with Gregory. Twisted plot. But yeah mommy would’ve been a better target for Colleen than Lisa Ross, given that it was mommy who put Gregory with Morgan and didn’t give a flying fuck about Colleen.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Colleen didn’t kill her sister, Gregory did, Gregory caught her cheating on him and poisoned her, and years later Colleen poisoned Gregory’s wife because of her obsession with/still being in love with Gregory. Twisted plot. But yeah mommy would’ve been a better target for Colleen than Lisa Ross, given that it was mommy who put Gregory with Morgan and didn’t give a flying fuck about Colleen.

I feel like I made that mistake before, and you told me. We're living the movie Groundhog Day😊 Again, you're right. I don't know why I keep saying the sister when my mind says Gregory's wife.

My fingers have a mind all their own! My bad.

12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Currently watching No Exit. I love Carver's retort to the nasty website runner and his suicide for dummies site. 

"All they want is respect"

"And all they get from you sir, is indifference."

Then Alex tells him to go do his little dance in hell.

I love Bobby's amused smile when Alex said that. It looked to me like VDO/Bobby was trying not to laugh. I wonder if that line was scripted or if it was an ad lib by Kathryn Erbe?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I feel like I made that mistake before, and you told me. We're living the movie Groundhog Day😊 Again, you're right. I don't know why I keep saying the sister when my mind says Gregory's wife.

My fingers have a mind all their own! My bad.

I love Bobby's amused smile when Alex said that. It looked to me like VDO/Bobby was trying not to laugh. I wonder if that line was scripted or if it was an ad lib by Kathryn Erbe?

Yeah I liked that exchange in No Exit as well and Carver got some good stuff in that episode. As I’ve said before, that episode is horrifically bleak (the scene of the guy trying to get out of the car as the train approaches may be the most horrifying in CI history), no character was likable and the plot was rather far fetched and complicated IMO, but the episode has kind of grown on me. Season 4 was just so dark, when an episode like Beast, which had a very twisted plot, is one of the more “normal” episodes, you know you’re in dark territory. But I really like season 4 overall.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah I liked that exchange in No Exit as well and Carver got some good stuff in that episode. As I’ve said before, that episode is horrifically bleak (the scene of the guy trying to get out of the car as the train approaches may be the most horrifying in CI history), no character was likable and the plot was rather far fetched and complicated IMO, but the episode has kind of grown on me. Season 4 was just so dark, when an episode like Beast, which had a very twisted plot, is one of the more “normal” episodes, you know you’re in dark territory. But I really like season 4 overall.

Yeah, I can't watch Magnificat ever again but overall, it was an intrguing season. It's kind of funny, they got away with it.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, I can't watch Magnificat ever again but overall, it was an intrguing season. It's kind of funny, they got away with it.

Magnificat is incredibly disturbing with the children being blown up, very sad and horrifying episode. And as I’ve said before it was one time I was upset with Carver, he could’ve made a case for negligent homicide against the scumbag father, he knew his wife was suicidal and a danger to their kids and he left her alone with them anyway and did nothing to help, Carver just didn’t want the uphill battle of making a case, I think Jack McCoy would’ve prosecuted the father. It was the one time I was annoyed with the usually awesome Carver. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Well, the whole frame of the show was psychological, getting into the minds of the criminals that commit their crimes. I think Season 4 just did that on steroids, hence the darkness of that season.

But then, as I type, S5 with "Grow" is on WE late night now, and S5 started off pretty damned bleak, what with Gwen and her own disgusting father willing to kill her! When a serial killer like Nicole is the nurturing one in that little tale, that's just all sorts of fucked up!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, the whole frame of the show was psychological, getting into the minds of the criminals that commit their crimes. I think Season 4 just did that on steroids, hence the darkness of that season.

But then, as I type, S5 with "Grow" is on WE late night now, and S5 started off pretty damned bleak, what with Gwen and her own disgusting father willing to kill her! When a serial killer like Nicole is the nurturing one in that little tale, that's just all sorts of fucked up!

I think one of the reasons CI got away with so much darkness and perversion is that Criminal Minds was it's contemporary and look at the shit they pulled on that show.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think one of the reasons CI got away with so much darkness and perversion is that Criminal Minds was it's contemporary and look at the shit they pulled on that show.

But I found Criminal Intent had a more cerebral bent that Criminal Minds doesn't have (to me).

• Useful 1
On 10/2/2022 at 11:08 PM, WendyCR72 said:

But I found Criminal Intent had a more cerebral bent that Criminal Minds doesn't have (to me).

Criminal Minds was just so phony. From the notion that the BAU is regularly on the ground, guns ablazing to catch a serial killer to the 'so-shallow-it-makes-George-Huang's-diagnoses-seem deep' round robin of perp of the week 'profiles.' The show was never truly interested in 'criminal minds,' just torture porn. 

Within the confines of an hour-long procedural, CI wiped the floor with CM as far as trying to show the thoughtfulness that goes into the detective work to catch these criminals.

Edited by TakomaSnark
Elaboration
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

Within the confines of an hour-long procedural, CI wiped the floor with CM as far as trying to show the thoughtfulness that goes into the detective work to catch these criminals.

I know Criminal Intent has been seen as boring by some because there isn't a ton of action every episode. But (in the strict confines of the show's version of Major Case, which deals mainly with art thefts and such in real life, not homicides), I think that is more realistic. Shrug.

And I'm a former English Lit major. Cerebral is my jam. 😎

• Like 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oh, good. "Vacancy" with screechy Alice just started on WE.

But the cold open really was suitably creepy and set up well.

This one doesn't ring a bell by title alone, so I'm off to pull it up on DVR!

Maybe you can clear something up for me about 'Dead': Russell (Jim Gaffigan) wasn't cremating all the bodies because Harry (Jay O. Sanders) wanted some of the DNA from corpses to plant on his mob hits, right? But why wasn't Russell cremating anyone? Was it just laziness/apathy about inheriting his father's business and not really being invested in it (as he expressed an interest in going into advertising instead)? 

ETA: Okay, one minute in and now I remember 'Vacancy.' The imdb plot blurbs aren't as memorable as the cold open itself!

Edited by TakomaSnark
Fleshing out
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

This one doesn't ring a bell by title alone, so I'm off to pull it up on DVR!

Maybe you can clear something up for me about 'Dead': Russell (Jim Gaffigan) wasn't cremating all the bodies because Harry (Jay O. Sanders) wanted some of the DNA from corpses to plant on his mob hits, right? But why wasn't Russell cremating anyone? Was it just laziness/apathy about inheriting his father's business and not really being invested in it (as he expressed an interest in going into advertising instead)? 

ETA: Okay, one minute in and now I remember 'Vacancy.' The imdb plot blurbs aren't as memorable as the cold open itself!

I think it was apathy. He didn't want to run the crematorium but was too much of a milquetoast to say so and do something else. Harry was just taking advantage of the situation.

• Love 3