Type keyword(s) to search

Fixer Upper - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well, that's the end. I'm sad that it's over so quickly and with so little information.  

Since they keep their religious views out of the show I'll leave that comment alone, but I will say that I agree with Emma that they did a great job. It's really REALLY beautiful inside and out and is all TOP quality.  There's no denying that.

She created the paint colors custom to the house and other than the pink in the girls' room I loved them all.

I doubt seriously there will ever be little kids living in that house. The place just really isn't built for it with all the stairs and small rooms. 

Things I noticed that I want to comment on specifically from our tour:

I'm so glad they showed the lovely nook going up the stairs. That was one of my favorite spots.  They told us we could sit in any chair we wanted (but not on the beds) and I have to tell you that the chairs in that living room were dreamy soft leather and perfect for my short stature.  I wanted them, but when I asked where she got them the guide wasn't sure and figured they were from the market, so not something I could go get somewhere.  bummer.

The conservatory room I'm certain had a marble inset topped table along the wall that wasn't shown on the episode, so I guess they added it later. It was in front of the windows along the wall to the left.  There was still room for two sitting areas - the couch and the two chairs - but it was more crowded than it was in the episode.

I'm glad they showed the windows in the basement because they had been brightened up and I thought most of those rooms would be fine for daily living, though the laundry room and card room (we called it the man cave) were darker.

As for the Kitchen, there was no way to combine those rooms due to the outside walls and the staircase location, plus all the fireplaces, so I think they did a good job making something that would be usable by a couple. Like I said before, I just can't see a family in this house on a daily basis, but a rich working couple would probably really enjoy it.

I'm so very glad that they took this project on. There are too many derelict houses being allowed to rot while rich people build ugly modern monstrosities, so I'm loving what they did here to save both the history and beauty of the place.

• Love 2

SusanwatchingTV, thank you for sharing your insight from your tour.  

I'm not sure what your objection is to their church so I'm not going to speak on that, but I know several years ago there was a big to-do saying that they were anti-gay.  I know for a fact that this is simply not true, because a young man from our community who was raised in a very religious family, married, with children (I think both adopted and biological), was working for them and then ultimately "came out" - they have been very supportive of him and he still works for them, from what I've heard.  (Small conservative town, fairly prominent family - it was a big deal.)

Edited by RoxiP
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, RoxiP said:

SusanwatchingTV, thank you for sharing your insight from your tour.  

I'm not sure what your objection is to their church so I'm not going to speak on that, but I know several years ago there was a big to-do saying that they were anti-gay.  I know for a fact that this is simply not true, because a young man from our community who was raised in a very religious family, married, with children (I think both adopted and biological), was working for them and then ultimately "came out" - they have been very supportive of him and he still works for them, from what I've heard.  (Small conservative town, fairly prominent family - it was a big deal.)

Thanks for the info, Roxip.  It doesn't surprise me to hear it.

Just for the record, I have no objection to their church.  It is other people posting here who like to slam them for their beliefs.

I was just responding a little bit to the snark of the "weird church" comment made by someone else. I wanted to say more, but controlled myself and stuck to the show because really, that's all I think is really appropriate for this thread.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

Thanks for the info, Roxip.  It doesn't surprise me to hear it.

Just for the record, I have no objection to their church.  It is other people posting here who like to slam them for their beliefs.

I was just responding a little bit to the snark of the "weird church" comment made by someone else. I wanted to say more, but controlled myself and stuck to the show because really, that's all I think is really appropriate for this thread.

I am sorry, I knew you weren't the person who said that (and this isn't the only place or time that I have heard that).  I probably should have controlled myself.

• Love 1

The new series on fixing up the old hotel fascinates me.    Joanna needed 8,000 books for the hotel library, and so Chip bought Larry McMurtry's closed bookstore in Chip's home town, and now they have 300,000 books.   

I'm enjoying the choices of materials, decorating, and having to comply with the historic association rules. 

By the way, the Castle they fixed up was up for auction, the deal fell through, and so Magnolia kept it.   I'm guessing a whole house rental, or something similar.  

The B & B (actually whole house rental) in McKinney (maybe not McKinney) was on the market for $1 million.   

And the rumors about them selling their farm house are false. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

I remember my roommate going to that bookstore - she was obsessed with Lonesome Dove when it came out - Larry McMurtry's sister actually ran the bookstore and she had Mr. McMurtry sign my roommate's first edition copy of the book.  As far as I know my friend has never opened the book once it was signed (and she looked at it) because I guess the value goes down if the spine is cracked?  It was one of her most treasured possessions.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm super late to this conversation, but I finally went strictly to streaming and now have the Magnolia Network, so I'm catching up on the episodes of the castle & hotel. 

I love everything about the castle!  Who wouldn't want to live there?  It looks like it's on a busy street, so you'd probably feel like you're on display, but it had a huge yard.  There appeared to be some interesting buildings adjacent to the castle on that property.  I liked the reno overall.  I wasn't too crazy about the darkness of the card room since it's in the basement.  I understand that she wanted a certain mood in there, and if playing cards, you don't need spotlights, but being in the basement it was just a little too dark for my taste!  I liked how they lightened up other areas of the basement though.  

The hotel is beautiful.  I'd love to go and spend a week there and just wander around the hotel, see the Silos and visit the surrounding area.  I'm sure it's quite expensive, so I'll mark that off of my wish list of things to do!  

I can picture women's groups or bridal shower parties having luncheons in Bertie's restaurant.  It had a feminine touch to it.   JoAnna has been designing spaces that feel "moody," and I think that worked well with the library space.  Wasn't too sure about the black walls, but it seemed to work there.  She has been stuck on dark green for a while now (cabinets/bathroom tiles/woodwork), so that gets a little old, but it all looked nice.  The area rugs in the hotel rooms could be a safety issue, especially for someone using a cane or walker.  They might want to suggest that they get one of the rooms with the wall-to-wall carpet.  I liked the design on that carpet.  I thought it was clever to combine the design of an area rug into a full carpet.  I think that JoAnna, Chip and their entire team did a fabulous job with the hotel.  YMMV.

• Like 1

Is this the end of discussing Fixer Upper? I still watch the reruns because I enjoy seeing the transformations that Joanne creates. My favorite house renovation was the one for the Morrisons (big house & big budget may be the episode title). That house was so elegant.

50 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Is this the end of discussing Fixer Upper?

I haven't watched the reruns in a long time.  I was trying to catch up on the fairly new stuff (castle & hotel).  I probably won't be watching their old episodes though.  Sorry!  I like some of the shows on the Magnolia Network.  'For the Love of Kitchens' is really good.  

• Useful 1
(edited)

They're having Fixer Upper : The Lakehouse, starting in Home Town's slot after their season ends.   Airing starting June 2, on Magnolia and HGTV.   It's six-episodes.   It's the redo of a mid-century lakehouse near Waco. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
On 5/21/2024 at 6:14 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

They're having Fixer Upper : The Lakehouse, starting in Home Town's slot after their season ends.   Airing starting June 2, on Magnolia and HGTV.   It's six-episodes.   It's the redo of a mid-century lakehouse near Waco. 

Thanks for the heads up! Just set my dvr. 

(edited)

I'm watching the Lakehouse reno and I love the house.       The show is an hour, but they have put two 1/2 hour episodes together, and that's why they have the intro between at the 30 minute point.    The only idea I don't like are the skylights, I don't like them.   I dislike skylights for the possibility of leaks, and I had one in a previous house, the sunlight coming in super heated everything in the bathroom, and faded everything.  

I'm shocked the huge pool came out so beautiful.  It looked too far gone, but now it's lovely. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The only idea I don't like are the skylights, I don't like them.  

Although those spaces could use some more light, I wouldn't have them.  From past experience, ours did nothing but leak (it had been there 15+ years).  Even the roofer couldn't find where the leak was coming from, even though he caulked & tarred around that skylight many times!

50 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm shocked the huge pool came out so beautiful. 

The green tiles around the upper part of the pool were beautiful!   

I'm not a fan of all of the green she's going to use on the interior, but I understand that she's going for an original look, so I'm sure it's going to look very pretty once it's all done.  I agree with Jo about adding to the height of those windows.  That's going to be a showstopper!  

I love the way Chip & Jo can have civil discussions about their own design ideas without either of them taking it personally or getting mad.  It's fun to see them tossing ideas around until they figure out what works best for the home.

I love terrazzo floors!  Growing up in Florida, that was pretty standard.  My mom didn't like them and carpeted over them.  I think the trend now is for people to have them restored.  I'm sure the terrazzo tiles that Jo & Chip are going to use are going to look beautiful.

• Like 1

Real terrazzo is super pricey to do, and as Chip says, the floor under it has to be super stable, and totally flat.   The porcelain, terrazzo look tile they have now is wonderful, a bunch cheaper and lasts forever.    The procelain tile and the original look virtually identical to me.  

• Like 2

RE: Skylights...I prefer to use a SolaTube. It lets light in but does not transfer any heat. I've had them in my homes for the last 20+ years now and never had a problem. Cost is much more attractive too. 

So happy to see Chip & Joanna on HGTV again. Can't wait to see the finished  lakefront reno. 

• Like 1

I've read about SolaTubes and think they're a great idea! I wish I  could've replaced my skylight with them back in the day.

Chip sure gets his workout between demo day, construction,  and landscaping!  The house appeared to be in pretty good shape, so hopefully they were able to stay on budget. 

• Like 1

I haven't been thrilled with the plans (except for the patio/pool/clearing out shrubs to enhance the view). But Jo has good taste so I expect to like the finished product. Her kitchens are almost always beautiful.

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

But Jo has good taste so I expect to like the finished product. Her kitchens are almost always beautiful.

It looks like it will be an improvement to move the kitchen to the area where it'll get more light.  She does seem to be stuck on green lately, but since that's what was originally in the home, I understand why she wants to use it. 

Seems like the design trend is going more towards doing what the homeowner feels most comfortable with, even if it bucks the latest trends.  The bespoke kitchens are becoming popular (see 'For the Love of Kitchens on the Magnolia network.)   I'm hooked on that show!  

• Like 1
(edited)

Everyone seems to have that dark green tile, it was on the last few seasons of the Orlando group for Zombie House Flipping, Good Bones used it sometimes, and Unsellable Houses had it a lot.    I don't like it.    

I like everything they're doing at the Lakehouse, except the green tile.    I love the greenhouse.  I also think the existing firepit is plenty big enough.  I love the custom furniture, and cabinets. 

I'm enjoying the discussions with Jo and the designers, and comparing brass vs. coated steel that looks like brass, and other design choices.   I really like the fireplace too.  I don't like the dark olive green walls.  I like the other paint though. 

I love seeing the pressed volcanic ash tile. 

I like that Joanna is trying to get over her fear of horses.   There are some very nice horses who aren't going to turn you into a lawn dart, and I think she'll enjoy finding a nice horse that takes care of her.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
47 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I like everything they're doing at the Lakehouse, except the green tile. 

I thought those tiles were black!  I can appreciate her wanting to get the house back to the 60's style, but it's just too much green for my taste (and my favorite color is green!)  It's going to take a special buyer who will appreciate the retro style.  I'm glad she nixed the copper gutters.  

The pressed volcanic ash tile was pretty.  I like to hear them talk about these products so that I can dream up what I would change in my house if I had the money!  I do like seeing the business side of Jo.  They could probably well-afford to do anything they want to that house, but they're really good at sticking with a budget (or within reasonable amounts).  She did some shows featuring her sister, Mikey, and how she helped her get her plant business started.  Jo & their Dad were very helpful at encouraging Mikey because the money side of it wasn't her forte (according to Mikey.)  Jo didn't take over her projects, but instead listened to her ideas and helped make them come to life.

55 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I like that Joanna is trying to get over her fear of horses. 

I follow her on Instagram.  She had a little video a few weeks ago of Crew running circles around her on his little pony while she was riding around cautiously!  It was so cute!  

7 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Not happy with the koi pond plans. Who knows if the buyers will take care of  them??

I was thinking the same thing.  As with skylights, we've had trouble with a koi pond, so I don't recommend either!  The house we're in now came with a small koi pond (or whatever you wanted to put in it). It was in bad shape, but Mr. Chat put a new motor in & brought it back to life.  We put some minnows in from the creek that was drying up near us, but sadly, the frogs got them (we didn't realize how many frogs loved the little pond!)  We gave up on fish & enjoyed the waterfall cascading down to the pond.  Then the pond sprung a leak and it was going to be a lot of work to find the leak (it was lower on the liner).  We ended up draining it and filling it in with sand & then river rock.  Now we have a rock garden!  I think a little pond will look good in that courtyard, but maybe just put some plants in and around it.  Oh, and mosquitos are a problem around them too.  

• Like 1

Although there are a few color choices in the lake house that I wouldn't choose, it works for that house, and I thought they did a fabulous job renovating the home. I can appreciate the choices Jo made because it all seemed to blend in so well.

I really appreciate that they used all of that cherry wood.  I think that's a bold choice given that the trend for a while was to paint all woodwork white (not that there's anything wrong with that!)  Raising the windows and making them into 2 big windows was a perfect choice.  The room felt boxed in with the shorter windows.

I loved all of the different choices in flooring.  All of that was beautiful.  The design of the primary bathroom was so unique, functional and pretty.  I loved the library and the wallpaper background.  I was rooting for the darker area rug in the living room.  The lighter one looked too faded.  I also liked the lighter green sofa she put in there.   

The koi pond and water feature were really nice.  With it being fairly shallow, maybe it will be easy to fix any future leaks.  Our little pond was so deep and when it sprung a leak, it was going to be really difficult to find & fix.  I liked how Chip designed this one.  That special-made frame & front window was also stunning.  It's exactly what that window needed.  Last but not least, I liked the graveled firepit area.  Jo was right.  A new deck wasn't necessary.  The low-key, gravel area lets you look across it straight out to the lake.  

The reunion of everybody was nice too.  Kudos to everybody who worked with Chip & Jo on this one.  

I hope Fixer Upper will return with its original format. Listening to C & J almost bickering about the glass panes, the tiled walls, etc., got so annoying I hit the mute. It was fun seeing the staff, and some of the home buyers from early episodes. I liked the patio.

14 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Listening to C & J almost bickering about the glass panes, the tiled walls, etc., got so annoying I hit the mute.

I didn't take it as bickering.  They were merely explaining why Jo's focus went straight to the glass panels rather than staying focused on the staircase.  Chip was just joking about how much easier wallpaper or paint would've been, but he wasn't mad (or didn't seem to be).  I like their playful bantering.  YMMV.

While I was looking at that 20' wall of tiles, it made me realize how difficult that must've been to make sure that first row was perfectly level & square.  Anything less than perfect and it would've stuck out like a sore thumb, and that's the kind of thing that would drive me nuts to have to look at on a daily basis if it wasn't right!!  

• Applause 1

I did agree that it was a beautiful home (although that harvest gold tile in the laundry room was not what I would have chosen - but I wouldn't be buying the home (a little out of my budget I'm sure...LOL!).  I hope the buyer loves it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dbell1 said:

He was yelling at one point about floor finishes.

Either his hearing is getting bad, or he's just really excited about floor finishes!  He & Jo really seemed to be enjoying this particular remodel.  I liked his idea about the water feature for the koi pond.  

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Is it me or is Chip really loud on the final episodes? He was yelling at one point about floor finishes. 😳

I think it's because the workers were still sanding the floor in the background, and he couldn't hear himself speaking, so he talked (louder) over the motors.

My guess is that after they shot the scene (during editing), the sound crew eliminated the motor sounds of the sander(s), making the finished scene sound as if Chip was shouting. 

I was wondering why he was shouting also when it seemed unnecessary and your explanation makes sense.  I mean - Chip is loud - we all know that - but he is usually loud in an overly enthusiastic way - not usually a shouter for no good reason.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I think it's because the workers were still sanding the floor in the background, and he couldn't hear himself speaking, so he talked (louder) over the motors.

I remember that now! When not on camera, I hope he's wearing some earplugs or some kind of ear protection.  It's loud on those job sites!

• Like 1