Type keyword(s) to search

Fixer Upper - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well, that's the end. I'm sad that it's over so quickly and with so little information.  

Since they keep their religious views out of the show I'll leave that comment alone, but I will say that I agree with Emma that they did a great job. It's really REALLY beautiful inside and out and is all TOP quality.  There's no denying that.

She created the paint colors custom to the house and other than the pink in the girls' room I loved them all.

I doubt seriously there will ever be little kids living in that house. The place just really isn't built for it with all the stairs and small rooms. 

Things I noticed that I want to comment on specifically from our tour:

I'm so glad they showed the lovely nook going up the stairs. That was one of my favorite spots.  They told us we could sit in any chair we wanted (but not on the beds) and I have to tell you that the chairs in that living room were dreamy soft leather and perfect for my short stature.  I wanted them, but when I asked where she got them the guide wasn't sure and figured they were from the market, so not something I could go get somewhere.  bummer.

The conservatory room I'm certain had a marble inset topped table along the wall that wasn't shown on the episode, so I guess they added it later. It was in front of the windows along the wall to the left.  There was still room for two sitting areas - the couch and the two chairs - but it was more crowded than it was in the episode.

I'm glad they showed the windows in the basement because they had been brightened up and I thought most of those rooms would be fine for daily living, though the laundry room and card room (we called it the man cave) were darker.

As for the Kitchen, there was no way to combine those rooms due to the outside walls and the staircase location, plus all the fireplaces, so I think they did a good job making something that would be usable by a couple. Like I said before, I just can't see a family in this house on a daily basis, but a rich working couple would probably really enjoy it.

I'm so very glad that they took this project on. There are too many derelict houses being allowed to rot while rich people build ugly modern monstrosities, so I'm loving what they did here to save both the history and beauty of the place.

• Love 2

SusanwatchingTV, thank you for sharing your insight from your tour.  

I'm not sure what your objection is to their church so I'm not going to speak on that, but I know several years ago there was a big to-do saying that they were anti-gay.  I know for a fact that this is simply not true, because a young man from our community who was raised in a very religious family, married, with children (I think both adopted and biological), was working for them and then ultimately "came out" - they have been very supportive of him and he still works for them, from what I've heard.  (Small conservative town, fairly prominent family - it was a big deal.)

Edited by RoxiP
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, RoxiP said:

SusanwatchingTV, thank you for sharing your insight from your tour.  

I'm not sure what your objection is to their church so I'm not going to speak on that, but I know several years ago there was a big to-do saying that they were anti-gay.  I know for a fact that this is simply not true, because a young man from our community who was raised in a very religious family, married, with children (I think both adopted and biological), was working for them and then ultimately "came out" - they have been very supportive of him and he still works for them, from what I've heard.  (Small conservative town, fairly prominent family - it was a big deal.)

Thanks for the info, Roxip.  It doesn't surprise me to hear it.

Just for the record, I have no objection to their church.  It is other people posting here who like to slam them for their beliefs.

I was just responding a little bit to the snark of the "weird church" comment made by someone else. I wanted to say more, but controlled myself and stuck to the show because really, that's all I think is really appropriate for this thread.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

Thanks for the info, Roxip.  It doesn't surprise me to hear it.

Just for the record, I have no objection to their church.  It is other people posting here who like to slam them for their beliefs.

I was just responding a little bit to the snark of the "weird church" comment made by someone else. I wanted to say more, but controlled myself and stuck to the show because really, that's all I think is really appropriate for this thread.

I am sorry, I knew you weren't the person who said that (and this isn't the only place or time that I have heard that).  I probably should have controlled myself.

• Love 1

The new series on fixing up the old hotel fascinates me.    Joanna needed 8,000 books for the hotel library, and so Chip bought Larry McMurtry's closed bookstore in Chip's home town, and now they have 300,000 books.   

I'm enjoying the choices of materials, decorating, and having to comply with the historic association rules. 

By the way, the Castle they fixed up was up for auction, the deal fell through, and so Magnolia kept it.   I'm guessing a whole house rental, or something similar.  

The B & B (actually whole house rental) in McKinney (maybe not McKinney) was on the market for $1 million.   

And the rumors about them selling their farm house are false. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

I remember my roommate going to that bookstore - she was obsessed with Lonesome Dove when it came out - Larry McMurtry's sister actually ran the bookstore and she had Mr. McMurtry sign my roommate's first edition copy of the book.  As far as I know my friend has never opened the book once it was signed (and she looked at it) because I guess the value goes down if the spine is cracked?  It was one of her most treasured possessions.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm super late to this conversation, but I finally went strictly to streaming and now have the Magnolia Network, so I'm catching up on the episodes of the castle & hotel. 

I love everything about the castle!  Who wouldn't want to live there?  It looks like it's on a busy street, so you'd probably feel like you're on display, but it had a huge yard.  There appeared to be some interesting buildings adjacent to the castle on that property.  I liked the reno overall.  I wasn't too crazy about the darkness of the card room since it's in the basement.  I understand that she wanted a certain mood in there, and if playing cards, you don't need spotlights, but being in the basement it was just a little too dark for my taste!  I liked how they lightened up other areas of the basement though.  

The hotel is beautiful.  I'd love to go and spend a week there and just wander around the hotel, see the Silos and visit the surrounding area.  I'm sure it's quite expensive, so I'll mark that off of my wish list of things to do!  

I can picture women's groups or bridal shower parties having luncheons in Bertie's restaurant.  It had a feminine touch to it.   JoAnna has been designing spaces that feel "moody," and I think that worked well with the library space.  Wasn't too sure about the black walls, but it seemed to work there.  She has been stuck on dark green for a while now (cabinets/bathroom tiles/woodwork), so that gets a little old, but it all looked nice.  The area rugs in the hotel rooms could be a safety issue, especially for someone using a cane or walker.  They might want to suggest that they get one of the rooms with the wall-to-wall carpet.  I liked the design on that carpet.  I thought it was clever to combine the design of an area rug into a full carpet.  I think that JoAnna, Chip and their entire team did a fabulous job with the hotel.  YMMV.

• Like 1

Is this the end of discussing Fixer Upper? I still watch the reruns because I enjoy seeing the transformations that Joanne creates. My favorite house renovation was the one for the Morrisons (big house & big budget may be the episode title). That house was so elegant.

50 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Is this the end of discussing Fixer Upper?

I haven't watched the reruns in a long time.  I was trying to catch up on the fairly new stuff (castle & hotel).  I probably won't be watching their old episodes though.  Sorry!  I like some of the shows on the Magnolia Network.  'For the Love of Kitchens' is really good.  

• Useful 1