Type keyword(s) to search

TTZ In The Media

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, benteen said:

Trailer for The Twilight Zone.  Also noticed Tracy Morgan and John Larroquette in there.

Twenty one seconds in pretty familiar face.  Nightmare at 20,000 Feet.

Fifty one seconds, Nick of Time.

Two Shatner episodes. Any other references?

• Love 3
17 hours ago, benteen said:

Trailer for The Twilight Zone.  Also noticed Tracy Morgan and John Larroquette in there.

Also spotted Jeffrey Combs (many Star Trek roles), Kumail Nanjani (Silicon Valley), Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation), Greg Kinnear, Steven Yeun (Walking Dead), and John Cho (Star Trek).

• Love 1

Hm, looks like they might play around a bit with the "Nightmare" story, which would be a good move. So many places you could take a modern version of that story. 

Just a week to go. Can't wait. 

• Love 2

I wish I could say I was looking forward to Season 2.  But Season 1 was a massive disappointment.  It was outright terrible at times, overlong and more concerned with being woke then they were of telling a good story.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Intriguing trailer. Nice to get an official date-look forward to the new season, then!

Even though Season 1 was disappointing story-wise, I do have to credit Jordan Peele for rounding up a good cast for Season 2 -- Morena Baccarin, Christopher Meloni, Joel McHale, Daniel Sunjata, Topher Grace, Jimmi Simpson, etc.

• Love 1

I can't say I'm surprised.  Given the lack of news, buzz and the pandemic, I didn't see it returning.  I've read that it sounds like Peele and Kinberg made the decision and maybe it will continue elsewhere but I don't know.  CBS is being nice, I'm not sure how they can possibly be proud of this effort.

The original Twilight Zone remains my favorite show.  I also liked 80s Twilight Zone.  That gets an undeserved bad rep when there are some great episodes of it which can stand with the original series.  I wasn't crazy about the 2000s TZ although there were some decent episodes.  The first season was terrible...just woke garbage.  The second season was definitely an improvement (though the To Serve Man episode was awful), so much so that I would have liked to have seen what they would do for a second season.  But truthfully, this show didn't deserve a third season.

Jordan Peele wrote and directed Get Out and Us.  That proves he is much more capable than the half-assed effort he gave for The Twilight Zone.  Unfortunately, he decided to make the first, second and third priorities of this show to be woke.  Entertainment came afterwards and it showed in a number of episodes, including ones that he wrote.  His stewardship of TZ was disappointing to say the least and this is at best the third best version of The Twilight Zone.  That might be generous on my part.

As much as I've soured on him, JJ Abrams would have been the best choice to do a new Twilight Zone.  He's a huge fan of the original series and his Twilight Zone episode of Felicity (the only episode of that show that I watched) was great.  It felt like TZ, right down to the looks on the actors faces.  I hope we don't have to wait another 20 years for another TZ reboot because I think if done correctly, this series can still be great.  But it couldn't survive the error of woke and an inexcusable poor effort from Jordan Peele, who is capable of so much more.

• Love 1
On 2/24/2021 at 10:14 PM, Annber03 said:

That's a shame :(. I was enjoying the series and was curious to see what other stories they could've told. 

Eh, well. Glad we got a couple seasons out of this revival, at least. 

I was hoping that we'd get a third season too, but I'm not too bothered by this news. I don't think this revival was as good as it could have been. I initially thought Jordan Peele was the perfect person to be behind a new Twilight Zone but the first season left me totally disappointed. The second season was a big improvement, I admit, but it still felt underwhelming and uninspired. 

I was expecting the kind of creativity and imagination that you see on a show like Black Mirror. There were less than a handful of truly memorable episodes and there was surprisingly little humor. When I think of the comedy that Get Out and Us had it's hard to believe that Peele was involved in this at all. 

The most annoying thing about this is that it will probably put a decades long damper on trying another TZ reboot. Showrunners will think that there isn't an audience for TZ anymore and I don't think that's true. This could have been good if it had been handled by other people. 

I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that Black Mirror will come back one day. Also looking forward to the American Horror Story spin off American Horror Stories. Maybe Ryan Murphy is the guy that could thrive under a format where each story is told in one episode. (He tends to go off of the rails when he has too many episodes.) 

JJ Abrams isn't a bad suggestion but he wouldn't have been my first choice. In a dream world, if Tarantino would ever allow himself to do TV I'd love to see how he'd do with a TZ style series. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

Showrunners will think that there isn't an audience for TZ anymore and I don't think that's true.

Putting a show strictly on a separate subscription service is not a good test of whether there is an audience for it or not.  Airing the show on CBS proper, and it faltering there would be.

(Star Trek doesn't count.  Trekkies will always be.)

• Useful 1