Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

It's not even about saving for the future but about right that moment. The check was enough to pay off all their debts and they can start fresh at zero. But no. That's not the Connor way. So they'll spend the rest of their lives paying off the mortgage at was probably originally less than $50k.

That was an unfortunate result of Disney's purchase of ABC meaning all the network's shows had to suddenly ship their characters off to a Disney attraction*.  The other times the Conners decided to treat themselves or take a shot rather than playing it safe made sense.  They weren't always the right decisions to make (they weren't always wrong, either), but they made sense given the characters' culture, experience, and education.  Blowing that kind of money, at that time in their lives, on a trip for the entire extended family did not jibe (contrast with the deliberation about a Vegas weekend just for the two of them when Leon reneged on the previous manager's approval of Roseanne's time off and threatened her job).

*I do love the revenge in then writing an episode in which David goes to work for a fictional cult-like amusement park that is so obviously Disney.

• Like 1

I think I noted this earlier in this thread or maybe over in The Conners thread, but it would've made a lot more sense to have them win some sort of sweepstakes or contest that had a family trip to Disney as the grand prize. Probably wouldn't have covered the whole family, but Bev could've paid for herself and Jackie, and they could've used some of Dan's check for anyone else.

• Love 3

I just watched the episode "Guilt By Disassociation" again, and every time I watch it I'm still gutted. It's so heartbreaking. 

I know this show loved to keep them down and struggling, but I wish this would have given Roseanne the impetus to maybe take an adult computer class or something to learn new skills. It would have opened up more opportunities for work.

• Love 1
On 12/7/2022 at 2:25 PM, Izzy85 said:

I just watched the episode "Guilt By Disassociation" again, and every time I watch it I'm still gutted. It's so heartbreaking. 

The writers did an amazing job with that episode.   This is when Dan and Roseanne realized that without more education or technical training, they were going to get left behind.

Working hard was no longer enough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
On 12/12/2022 at 6:13 PM, TheLastKidPicked said:

The writers did an amazing job with that episode.   This is when Dan and Roseanne realized that without more education or technical training, they were going to get left behind.

Working hard was no longer enough.

Especially once all 3 kids were old enough to fend for themselves...she could have taken computer classes so that she could have transitioned into doing office/clerical work.

Heck when she worked for that needy man that kept buying them gift..she should have suggested providing money for that.

• Like 1

I've been watching the original series on cozy tv and had forgotten how good it was. 

The realism of middle /lower class life Iis amazing. Before they won the lottery of course. 

Failed businesses. Losing electricity for not paying bills. 

The one that stands out is the new boss and the factory with his quota demands. 

Becky was such a b**** running off like she did and getting married.  

Darlene is the excellent. 

• Like 2

The show was a lot better IMO before they got The Lunch Box and became financially stable. The early seasons where they were struggling and just getting by was a lot more interesting/realistic to watch.

There was also more of a cozy, lighthearted feel in the early years with only bits of drama sprinkled in. 

Edited by Olis93
  • Like 3