Type keyword(s) to search

Sleepy Hollow - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

In an interview about her new film, Nicole Beharie talks a bit about Sleepy Hollow and how that all went.

You navigate that with as much grace as you can. I had some interesting things happen to me specifically on a TV show I was on that without saying much, the fan base of the show picked up on a great deal of what was going on for all the people of color — not just the Black people on the show. 

[...]

Again, I feel like my character on that show was killed off, discarded, just the way Turquoise was discarded. I was discarded, but I’m still here.

It's a really good interview that mentions a lot about her process and how having to take time off when she got ill changed her. 

• Love 5

Nicole Beharie on 'Miss Juneteenth' and her ordeal on Sleepy Hollow

For me, six years ago I was on a TV show. My co-star and I both got sick at the same time with the same illness and had different treatments. He was allowed to go on leave for a month and I had to continue working. There was a smokescreen of me getting my own episode titled “Mama.” By the end of that episode, I started to fall apart.

They shut down production for two weeks because I got sick. They sent in lots of doctors, and I had daily checkups to make sure I was actually sick because they had to get the production going. Every doctor said I wasn’t doing well and that I needed to rest. That is not what they wanted to hear.

Months ensued and I got a lawyer. I got my hours down and worked through it. But then I developed an autoimmune condition. I had C. difficile [a bacterium that causes a range of symptoms], which had me on eight different prescription medications.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, CaptainIrony said:

This is a really great interview too. In particular

Sometimes things would happen on set or in the story line and there was the whole “Abbie deserves better” insurrection that happened online. I was like, “How do people know? I haven’t said anything.” I’ve always felt the love.

That’s what I love about social media. You have all kinds of people speaking the truth. And we all know it.

It's nice to have confirmation again that it helped her that viewers could see what was happening.

• Love 8
On 6/19/2020 at 9:15 AM, jenrising said:

This is a really great interview too. In particular

It's nice to have confirmation again that it helped her that viewers could see what was happening.

I'm honestly so mad about this and it's interesting that it's obvious that the cast didn't seem to have much solidarity for her. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, evilmindatwork said:

I'm honestly so mad about this and it's interesting that it's obvious that the cast didn't seem to have much solidarity for her. 

I think Orlando did - but we fans knew the woman playing her sister looked to be trying to glow up in her absence.  Tom Mison didn't have twitter at the time (not sure if he does now) and he never stood up to say anything... but Orlando used to say things and he actively supported us as fans.

I feel vindicated yet pissed that we were right. This was quite honestly the most racist display from the higher ups at Sleepy Hollow.  I'm angry that we can see this stuff coming a mile off and angry that TPTB were actually worse to her than we even knew.

On twitter, a black woman writer (Shernold Edwards)brought onto the show in 2018 to write for Abby says that she was told not to speak to NB and also told that NB was awful, difficult, etc.. basically they were smearing NB to everyone.  Those "blind items" we got that she was "difficult"?  Clearly planted by higher ups trying to destroy her so we would accept them replacing her in the abject FAILURE that was Season 4.

She gets into the sleepy hollow part about an hour into the podcast.

Nicole's interview is not imo about how getting ill changed her, it was her calling out how she wasn't given the treatment her costar got and her treatment (racist treatment) made her ill and then she was BLACKLISTED because the higher ups were PISSED OFF that the fans loved her so much and they couldn't do their original plan of trying to replace her with the white woman.

THAT is what keeps happening to black women on these shows and literally the ONLY thing keeping them around are fans - usually black women fans and hopefully some real deal allies who hate the BS as much as we do - fighting like hell for them.

• Useful 2
(edited)

I still marvel that this show got 4 seasons after it went so off the rails in Season 2. I bailed sometime during Season 3

In the end, I think it's pretty clear, at least to me, that the change in showrunners caused a lot of the problems. Goffman seemed more interested in a family drama than a Scifi/fantasy show and sidelined everyone that wasn't part of his vision. He didn't seem to care at all for Crane and Abbey's great chemistry. Not to mention being insensitive/clueless to how they treated the Black actors/characters. Of course, the show was rebooted in Season 4 with the move to DC, but it also was rebooted early on in the second season, with the gang defeating Moloch, who up til then was the central premise of the show. When you have a team take over a Scifi show who aren't really interested in Scifi, you create a pretty muddled show

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 5
On 6/24/2020 at 8:16 AM, DanaK said:

I still marvel that this show got 4 seasons after it went so off the rails in Season 2. I bailed sometime during Season 3

In the end, I think it's pretty clear, at least to me, that the change in showrunners caused a lot of the problems. Goffman seemed more interested in a family drama than a Scifi/fantasy show and sidelined everyone that wasn't part of his vision. He didn't seem to care at all for Crane and Abbey's great chemistry. Not to mention being insensitive/clueless to how they treated the Black actors/characters. Of course, the show was rebooted in Season 4 with the move to DC, but it also was rebooted early on in the second season, with the gang defeating Moloch, who up til then was the central premise of the show. When you have a team take over a Scifi show who aren't really interested in Scifi, you create a pretty muddled show

I agree.  The show took a deep nosedive after the first season IMO and never recovered. 

How many showrunners were there?  I wasn't following the drama behind the scenes so curious to know why the original showrunners left?  I'm guessing it was the standard retooling to boost the ratings?

• Love 1