Type keyword(s) to search

Genealogy Shows

• Start Topic

(edited)

I am somewhat of a genealogist and love genealogy TV shows. I was hoping to discuss shows like Finding Your Roots, Genealogy Roadshow, and Who Do You Think You Are (U.S. and U.K.) versions. There is also a separate forum for Who Do You Think You Are, (just click on the link and check it out. In fact, since it has its own full-blown forum, talking about it there is encouraged. Feel free to do so here too though).

WDYTYA premiers July 23 on TLC.

The second season of TLC's genealogy docu-series “Who Do You Think You Are?” will feature six new journeys with Valerie Bertinelli, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Lauren Graham, Kelsey Grammer, Cynthia Nixon, Rachel McAdams and her sister, Kayleen McAdams.

http://www.thewrap.com/tlc-who-do-you-think-you-are-season-5-lineup-preview-premiere-date/

Finding Your Roots premiers Sept. 23 on PBS. The below statement is taken from a post by genetic genealogist CeCe Moore from one of my DNA genealogy forums.

Finding Your Roots" to return to PBS on Sept 23rd. 30 celebrities including Ben Affleck, Billie Jean King, Ken Burns, Anderson Cooper, Courtney B. Vance, Stephen King, Sally Field, Gloria Reuben, Rebecca Lobo, Carole King, Deepak Chopra, Ming Tsai, Angela Bassett, Valerie Jarrett, Aaron Sanchez, Derek Jeter, Tony Kushner, Nas, Tom Colicchio, and Khandi Alexander.

And Geneology Roadshow is currently accepting applications. It also airs on PBS.  You can submit an application and read more about the cities it will visit here: http://genealogyroadshow.org/

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 1

Andyourlittledog2, I have seen it but they seem to always have a theme to their stories. I like shows that focus way more on the genealogy than the perceived "uplifting" lessons that we should learn from it.

• Love 1

Thank you for the info on Genealogy Roadshow Enigma X! After watching episode after episode of WDYTYA? and grumbling after each episode that there should be something out there for the "little" people, I was happy to see the GR come about and watched last seaon's episodes. Then I grumbled about how does one go about getting on this show, and thanks to you, I now know how! Thank you! 

• Love 2

@Enigma X I haven't watched Genealogy Roadshow, actually never heard of it, so thank you for mentioning it (I have zero interest in shows where celebrities receive free info about their roots). I have a periodic interest in Genealogy and then get discouraged when I come to a dead end. My father and grandfather refused to talk about any relatives, even states lived in, names, etc. Very frustrating. An aside; WTH could be so unmentionable--the mind boggles. But I guess a family feud or something. You've revived my interest! Time to try more research including episodes of this show. Thanks again.

• Love 1
(edited)

SeriousPurrs, you are welcome.

Happy Belly, thank you.

I actually prefer watching Finding Your Roots to the other two shows mentioned. I would like a show for the regular joe that came at it like Finding Your Roots. Who Do You Think You Are is too glamorized and Genealogy Roadshow is too hectic. FYR actually tries to explain how it arrived at its conclusion and uses DNA (which I am HUGE proponent of).

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 2

Hey Enigma X, it just dawned on me that I didn't get a confirmation of my submission. Did you get anything? Needless to say, I haven't heard a word yet, and I believe they will start filming in about a month or so. 

ARRRGGGHHH! lol Well I'm happy for your fellow member, I am sad for us. But I guess there's always next year. Geez, I thought my Civil War deserting GGGrandfather would have sealed the deal for me..lol But thanks for confirming you didn't get a confirmation. I was worried that after all that work to submit my story was for naught. Which it is now, but in a different way..:-)  We'll get 'em next year! 

• Love 1

I held out hope there was still a chance to be picked but the casting is completed now and it says to check back in the spring of 2015. Good luck to all of us for next season.

edited because picked and pucked have two entirely different meanings

Edited by Happy Belly
  • Love 1

Enigma X, when the Ancestry.com DNA test first came out, I was one of the first people on the block to order it. However, to date, it still sits unspit in on my bookcase. i have no idea why I didn't do it yet. Do you know if this test is a really eye-opening, you're not going to believe the results type of test?

I did 23andMe first, then FTDNA, and lastly AncestryDNA. It really depends on what you consider eye opening. I did not do it for ethnicity results. Most people are disappointed by that. I did it to find people who share DNA with me that will help me fill in my tree and me theirs. AncestryDNA has the least tools of the three sites, but the science at all three is valid. Of course, you still need to do old-fashioned detective work to figure out how you are related to your matches. My biggest pet peeve are people who doubt the science when it is the papertrail that is wrong. 

In short, it was eye opening in the sense that, especially as an African American, it is connecting me to family not only within the last three generations but to African and African American lines lost due to slavery that can stretch as far as five generations ago and beyond, as well as my caucasian ancestors who never placed my line in their bibles. The research to connect the dots is stlll hard work. 

(off pedestal)

• Love 3

Please accept my apologies for the very late reply Enigma X. Thank you for your wonderful post. As you, I want to do the DNA test only to find out who I am related to out there in this big world. My ethnicity? While it would be interesting to find out that I have something in me that I am not aware of, I would be really surprised it that happened, and, you never know. If I ever spit into that little container, we might find out we're related! 

I do feel so bad for African Americans who are unable to trace their ancestry because of slavery. It is so sad to know that so many families out there are unable to have the luxury of knowing where they came from because of it, so definitely DNA is the way to go. I hope one day something will come your way that will open up whatever roadblock is in front of you now. 

• Love 3

I am interested in genealogy due to being adopted as an infant.  I don't think I have seen any celebrities on these shows that were adopted and/or traced their birth-ancestors. (I can understand not wanting birth parents' info out there, but picking up the story with a great-great grand mother/-father could be neat.)  

I would also like a FYR for regular folk, like Enigma X wished for. ( IA about celebrities getting free services that are likely not as costly to them as it is for us Joe and Jane Schmoes.) 

• Love 1

CeCe Moore has a new series premiering tonight "The Genetic Detective" ABC,10:00 PM 1 hr"

The Case of the Missing Lovebirds"

CeCe Moore joins Seattle's Snohomish County Sheriff's Office while she works on her first-ever cold case as a genetic genealogist that involves the double homicide of a young couple, who vanished after taking a ferry from Vancouver to Seattle.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Mermaid Under said:

CeCe Moore has a new series premiering tonight "The Genetic Detective" ABC,10:00 PM 1 hr"

I’ve been a fan of hers for a long time so I’m glad she has gotten a show.  I would never have the patience nor the tenacity to Do what she does.