Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E12: Robbie Amell

• Start Topic

Who is Robbie Amell?

He use to be the lead on The CW show, The Tomorrow People, until it just got canceled this year.  Depending on when they filmed this, I wonder how Aisha will introduce him.  If it was filmed post-cancellation, it would be kind of awkward for her to bring it up.  

Besides that, I only really know him for being the younger cousin of The CW's Arrow star, Stephen Amell. 

• Love 1

Ah, gotcha.  Good idea, since I do think most won't know who he is unless they saw The Tomorrow People.

I, of course, am glad that Jeff will be back for this one.  He's one of my favorite "fourth chairs."  I wonder if this means we'll be getting a duet or greatest hits, so Jeff and Wayne can sing together.

• Love 1

It was  a fun episode, though, I feel for Robbie now that his show was cancelled. (With all the shoehorning of CW stars, you'd think showcasing this episode earlier in the season would've been smarter, unless this wasn't taped  until around the deadline for the CW. )

I liked that he was able to joke about the "1-2-3-4-5"! His near facepalm  in Dubbing was fun. He seemed game and enthusiastic, which can be great for this show.

Now, it might be just me, and I'm okay with that, but I felt Robbie got short-changed on the song. It was far more about One Direction instead of Robbie. Even Vampire Diaries' Cat and rando strangers from Drew's version got better songs about them. I'm not some Robbie fangirl, but the song seemed off a little tonight. (One plus? Breakdancing Amell!)

I loved Hats! I almost forgot that game, but the Eye Hat on Colin and Nurse Ryan were classic them.

I've noticed that Wayne asks the person who is the focus of the song to give them a hook to base the song on. Since Robbie said he wanted to perform with One Direction, the song was about giving him the opportunity to do that. I do love how later skits kept bringing up the counting to five. A good running gag is priceless. And I want to see more of Fighting Alisha.

• Love 1

Eh.

I need to watch some of the old eps on YouTube because this version isn't doing it for me anymore. Granted, there's always at least one joke that I like, but I'm sick to death of the guest stars, particularly when they're inept. Robbie Amell seems like a nice enough guy, but he didn't bring anything to the games, imo. He enjoyed himself. He cracked up a lot. And… that was about it.

Just when I was saying that I liked old games like Questions Only, they bring it back, except now they add funny hats. Why? It's like the game is too plain vanilla for ADHD audiences to appreciate. 

I did love seeing Jeff Davis, esp when he was dancing goofily during Duet. I've never seen One Direction perform, so I don't know how accurate their moves were. But it didn't matter. 

Just when I was saying that I liked old games like Questions Only, they bring it back, except now they add funny hats. Why? It's like the game is too plain vanilla for ADHD audiences to appreciate. 

Yeah, I didn't get why they needed to mix hats with Questions. Hats and wigs work well when they do the dating profile game but all Questions needs is a premise.

• Love 1

The Letter H was a call back to this old episode (around the 1min mark) which I enjoyed tremendously. 

I'm still not a fan of the random celeb appearance - once every few episodes is fine, but when the actor is in half the skits for the episode, it's a bit too much (but don't judge me when I love when Misha Collins is on next week). 

• Love 1

I felt bad for Robbie during the song.  Wayne threw to him for a rap section with no warning?  Of course he didn't know what to do!  Good sport, though.
Helping Hands really needs to go away.  Seeing Ryan and Colin play-bicker was funny, but there's never anything new to these scenes. And in contrast to last ep where the guest talked too much, here he did too little.  It's just not a great game to play.  How about they bring back Moving People?  That's a good game for an audience member / guest.

Yeah, I didn't get why they needed to mix hats with Questions. Hats and wigs work well when they do the dating profile game but all Questions needs is a premise.

Pure "Questions Only" went away early in the ABC years.  It became Questionable Impressions.  And I can understand why: you need the performers to mess up in order to rotate them, so they raise the difficulty to make that happen.  If you rewatch some of the pure Questions Only games, you'll see some where they did very little rotation.  So I understand the appeal of a purer game, but they have reasons for this.

The Letter H was a call back to this old episode (around the 1min mark) which I enjoyed tremendously. 

I recognized it as a reuse too, but Wayne made it something new with the Capital H. And I have to say that Jeff is the perfect guy to do that to - he delights in messing with other performers.  So to see them razzing him back is great.

Overall too much guest (as usual) and especially too much Helping Hands.  But otherwise a funny ep, and the chair banter was superb.  I think it also shows Aisha being more comfortable with the group, which is very good.

• Love 1
(edited)

They actually played Questions with hats (well, wigs) at least twice on the old ABC show. Nothing new. As Amarsir said, they started messing around with that game pretty quickly.

Edited by mrbellamy
  • Love 1

They actually played Questions with hats (well, wigs) at least twice on the old ABC show. Nothing new. As Amarsir said, they started messing around with that game pretty quickly.

Well, I can't wait for them to bring back Questionable Impressions.

• Love 2

Intros: Wayne--Ladies love him, Jeff-- Men want to be him, Colin--Children pity him, and Ryan-- Animals fear him.

Games: Questions, Duet, Dubbing, Scenes From A Hat, and Helping Hands.

The one-armed push-ups were cool. The Wayne/Colin Sesame Street gag (before the subject was changed) still cracks me up due to Colin's delivery of the "wham line".

Follow up on Mr. Amell: he will be on The Flash now and again. Maybe he can come back?