Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: The Watchers On The Wall 2014.06.08

• Start Topic

I really think he should've killed the leader.  You know, the one who killed both his parents and told him to his face that he was going to eat them.  Instead, it seems the fat guy killed him.

Jon killed the leader of the Thenns

Ygritte killed the kid's dad, though, not the Thenn.

This took two watches for me.  Ygritte killed the kid's dad, to be fair we don't know exactly who killed his mother.  The head Thenn (Stir) told the kid he was going to eat both his parents.  

Jon killed the head Thenn (Stir) with a hammer to the head.  It was probably easy for him to ID Jon as the handsomest prettiest lad with the most divine hair among the Night's Watch, the only one who could turn a cold-hearted killer like Ygritte into Jodi Arias.  

Sam killed the Thenn who told them it was "time" to attack (a warg?) who I believe remained nameless.  

• Love 2

. The cowardly behaviour of the ex-King's Guard commander was strange and really just a contrived means for John to take charge. I

Janos Slynt wasnt Kingguard. Commander . He was commander of the City Watch.. Basically a glorified policeman.

Ygritte killed the kid's dad, though, not the Thenn.

Oh, she did?  Okay.  I was actually just Web-surfing at the time and listening to it in the background while my boyfriend watched, so I had no idea.  In that case, I'm okay with him killing her now.

Who killed his mom, though?

(edited)

My understanding is that the show tells the story chronologically, whereas the books jump back and forth in the story, which is why book readers can be spoiled by the show. One season does not equal one book anymore.

I read until I reach something I'd consider new and then I stop.  Plus I tend not to read most of what I should until the season is over anyway.  So hasn't really been an issue.  Season 1 was easy.  Everything was in sequence.  Season 2 some stuff was off and some new stuff thrown in.  Season 3 I stopped probably episode 9 was for most of the storylines.  Some even before that.  And for season 4 I barely read anything (due to having to stop due to reaching something "new") until right after THIS last episode.  So I have not been spoiled about any major events at all.  I can only think of one thing which does not seem that consequential and given it has yet to appear on the show perhaps might not happen anyway.

What can be a bit spoilerish is the book is less subtle than the show.  Rather than giving you the visual clues of a well crafted television show it often outright tells you what someone is thinking or what a character thinks someone is thinking.  Given my slow reading cycle and the span in which various issues have been resolved that has not been an issue except perhaps for one case where someone was more suspicious in the book than the tv show.  But still pretty suspicious on the show.

And I'll leave it like that to be any less vague would require actually engaging in book talk. Probably I should restart the TWOP "reading but unspoiled" thread for this type of discussion.

Oh, she did?  Okay.  I was actually just Web-surfing at the time and listening to it in the background while my boyfriend watched, so I had no idea.  In that case, I'm okay with him killing her now.

Who killed his mom, though?

As I see it Ygritte and whoever killed mom just ordered the happy meal.  The special little boy is Styr who got to actually enjoy the happy meal.  Though I'd imagine he expected a better prize than a hammer through the head.  It also might have been nice if Styr had lived long enough to tell us whether Ollie's parents are better paired with red or white wine.  Though I imagine he had to make due with ale.

Edited by Taget
  • Love 1
I just told myself that Ghost was probably starving and was more interested in having a meal and letting the humans do the rest...

I think that's it. He's been locked up without food since like season two. First at Craster's, then he got a little snack on that one dude, only to be locked up again. I don't think the mutineers or Thorne took a lot of effort in keeping the dog they are scared of well-fed. So he probably couldn't care less about the damn NW people and just wanted a nice juicy meal.

However, given how much he could've feasted in that battle and especially the aftermath and that his disgestion was probably a bit off after a long period of starving, I'm concerned he's seriously constipated now.

• Love 4

I'm would like the think Jon made sure Ghost was well fed on non human meals.

I hope The Lord Commander is alive but if he isn't at least he had a honorable death. Also does Ygrittes father know she is dead ?

Hm, that would actually make sense. He's like a father to her, at least (when he's not talking about fucking a bear, that is...). Plus they're both redheads. But I always thought her parents were just dead, like pretty much every Wildling's parents.

(edited)

I'm would like the think Jon made sure Ghost was well fed on non human meals.

I hope The Lord Commander is alive but if he isn't at least he had a honorable death. Also does Ygrittes father know she is dead ?

I'm sure Jon is taking care of Ghost as best he can when two assholes who are probably looking for a reason to kill him are in charge, but given how feral the direwolves are, meals Jon prepares for him to eat in a pen must pale in comparison to getting some screaming redshirt between his teeth. 

Edited by PeteMartell

The battle was very very good.  I generally don't like battles, fights generally.  They seem needless and the outcomes are predictable.  But given that battles that are actually televised on GOT are rare - given the costs, and the outcomes are not predictable (except when Dragon Lady - I can't spell her name - is overtaking yet another slave city) - it was fun to watch. Giants and a mammoth, and a giant scythe - that was fantastic.

However 2 of my favorite minor characters at the wall were killed off. 

And I lover Peter Vaughan, Master Aemon.  But he is 91 years old.  I wish him the very, very best of health.

• Love 1