Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
selkie

Le Tour and Other Cycling Talk

As a long time viewer of the TdF coverage, going back to the days of Greg Lemond and Indurain, I used to wonder what the coverage would be like once Paul and Phil retired and whether the magic would be lost, but I never expected this. Really shocking and terrible news.

• Like 1

My DVR is picking up coverage of the Santos Tour Down under now. Phil's got the lead commentary role, and Robbie McEwen is in Paul's old seat with Jensie doing some sideline work. They sound pretty good, though Robbie needs to get a feel for when to nudge Phil away from discussions on whale-watching and such and get him refocused on the race action. 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure Robbie always does the Tour Down Under; I do not recall if Phil or Paul was the other commentator last year.  I do wish they would at least acknowledge Paul's death, but maybe they are saving that for one of the bigger Tours.

Since there are a lot of Tour de France-only viewers, I expect they'll do something nice then 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 11:02 AM, selkie said:

And Chris Froome is out for the rest of 2019 after a pretty horrific crash while warming up for the tine trial at the Dauphine. Le Tour is now wide open

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-diagnosed-with-additional-sternum-and-vertebrae-fractures/

Yikes; every time I read an article about that crash, it just gets worse.