Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles

Sara2009

I gave up on AHS midway in Season 1, didn't really grab me. Now that the Hotel  season has Bomer and Gaga, I will give it another try. I will also at least check out Scream Queens for Lea. I'm not a horror genre person, more like the David Lynch-type of surrealist dread. 

Edited by fakeempress

It's going to be interesting if "Finding Neverland" is going to have the staying power with zero Tony nominations to recoup it's costs in (estimating) 12-15 months if it can run that long.  

Considering that Matt Morrison got a Drama League nomination I had raised my hopes  for a Tony nod, alas.

I know Weinstein is polarizing within the biz, but it can't be all bad to have a person with deep connections wanting to throw money on Broadway productions, just saying.

Edited by caracas1914

Sad for Matt, but not surprised. The reviews were not universally positive (to say the least) and there's a lot of industry resistance to Weinstein making inroads into Broadway.

It's sad unfortunate the actors had to be negatively affected by that, though.

A few NYTimes journalists were talking about it earlier:

http://www.nytimes.com/live/tony-nominations-2015/harvey-weinsteins-finding-neverland-snubbed-and-other-tony-surprises

Maybe Matt can take comfort in the fact that he's a " should've been nominated" guy. Ha ha

In all fairness I can't fault the choice of actors that did get the Tony  noms for  best male lead in a musical, from most accounts they got great notices for their roles.   Kelsey Grammar didn't get a featured player nom either, but again, his category was full of deserving actors (at least by the critical acclaim)

In all fairness I can't fault the choice of actors that did get the Tony noms for best male lead in a musical, from most accounts they got great notices for their roles. Kelsey Grammar didn't

get a featured player nom either, but again, his

category was full of deserving actors (at least by

the critical acclaim)

I definitely agree. Those categories were particularly stacked this year, so I can't argue with any of the nominations. I'm still a bit disappointed, though.

I just stopped by to say that Amber was awesome last night on the Dancing With The Stars Anniversary Special! You could tell she was beside herself getting to perform with Miss Patti, but she more than held her own. 

• Love 1

"Miss Amber"!!!! That was awesome. I love Patti Labelle on DWTS this season, and Amber was amazing in that number too. I could see Amber having career longevity like Miss Patti.

Slightly off topic question, what the Jesus has Lil' Kim done to her face?

Does anyone know if the Steve McQueen play is in previews already in the West End? I'm curious as to how large Dianna's role is in the play, and would love to fly across the pond to see her if money was no object..HA!!

(edited)

Does anyone know if the Steve McQueen play is in previews already in the West End? I'm curious as to how large Dianna's role is in the play, and would love to fly across the pond to see her if money was no object..HA!!

https://www.stjamestheatre.co.uk/theatre/mcqueen/

The theater is not "West End". Dianna, an "acclaimed Hollywood actress", is the co-star. How she landed this role in a country of Ruth Wilsons and Carey Mulligans is beyond my limited knowledge, intelligence, and imagination.

Edited by Higgs

Sounds like the play revolves around Dianna's character. I'm seriously tempted to go to London for a couple of days to see it, I love Tracy Ann Oberman too.

Think I might see that and Beautiful.

(edited)

Broadway.coms audience choice awards nominations are out and as a nice consolation prize for Finding Neverland they scored 11 nominations including favourite leading actor in a musical for Matt. Darren also was nominated for favourite male replacement for Hedwig.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/180669/vote-now-finding-neverland-its-only-a-play-lead-2015-broadwaycom-audience-choice-award-nominations/

Edited by Pink ranger
(edited)

It's Broadway.com we're talking about. They called Darren a "Broadway vet" for his three weeks in H2$. He won the Favourite Replacement category for 2012, and also hosted the event then.  

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

Since we've established that there are many multi talented actors in the biz,  all this talk about versatilty for the Glee actors just reminds me how unique Glee actually was.

According to a recent quote from Zach Woodlee, the choreographer,some of the Glee actors  (Mark Salling for one) auditioning for the original pilot didn't fully grasp they would also have to sing and dance on a regular basis on the show.  So in sense,every regular on the show became a actor/singer/dancer by default.
Now as far as how much others prize that versatility, personally I feel other than bragging rights at mixers (as Chris Colfer wryly observed per his best selling author status) it doesn't really amount to a hill of beans.

Jarred Leto in interviews reveals that he's been dabbling with music since he was a kid, as well as having envisioned/studied for a directing/visual arts career long  before he got into acting.   So while he's a multiple instrument playing musician, director, singer/actor performer, he had to let some of that go to the side while he focused on his acting, and vice versa. 

For example, his band "30 seconds to Mars" has sold at least 15 million albums in the last 9 or 10 years and had several very successful tours.  Yet to accomplish that , Jarred said he had to put the acting basically in hiatus for five years to focus on the recording and touring, even foregoing a role offered in a Clint Eastwood movie.  In addition he's directed many of their videos even winning an MTV award for best rock video.  So Jarred is an Academy award winning actor, an award winning director and a platinum selling recording artist, but he couldn't do all of that at once and he has said on numerous occasions that something has to give and he's fine making the choices he does.
Add to that Jarred probably has turned down multiple stage offers, etc.

Justin Timberlake when he was focusing on his acting (including "The Social Network" "Friends with Benefits", etc) didn't do any recording or touring.
The point is that versatility isn't that rare at all,  (many musically inclined people  in bands by necessity can learn 3 or more instruments) but actual commercial and artistic  success across  multiple fields is what is much rarer.  To act in movies and have a singing career isn't that rare, but to be successful in both is what grabs more attention.
Sometimes it works out nicely, as when Clint Eastwood, who is a gifted pianist, produces, stars and directs movies and also has written the musical score of several of them.  

To me, the gold standard is someone like Steve Martin.  He's an accomplished writer, playwright, producer, actor, stand up com median and musician.
He's had both best selling albums in comedy and blue grass.  In fact his bluegrass albums have won several GRAMMY awards and were critically acclaimed by music critics. His comedy albums won several GRAMMYS and went platinum and his song "King Tut" sold over a million copies.
Not only that, but he's published several novellas  including one that was adapted for the screen ("Shopgirl", which I love) wrote full length novels, wrote a successful play and had a  memoir that TIME magazine listed among the 10 ten best non fictions works of literature that year.
He is successful in both TV and movies,with both comic and dramatic material (including a cult fave musical "Pennies  from Heaven"  and has penned articles for The New Yorker and his list of accomplishment go on and on and on.

So IMO  it's way to soon to compare any of the younger Glee cast to someone truly successfully  multi-talented and "rare" like Steve Martin.  It's educational  to look beyond a myopic  Glee- or stan-centric  world to see what that truly encompasses.

Edited by caracas1914

Yeah, but can he play the HARMONICA?!

Lol, according to his IMDB bio he can:

"Is skilled with a rope or lasso and did his own rope work in ¡Three Amigos! (1986). He also plays the harmonica."

Now the next question is: can Darren throw a rope?

• Love 1
(edited)

Latest Broadway gross figures.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/grosses.cfm#.VUfE4nCkqK0

Hedwig played two less performance than usual last week so the numbers should normalise next week. Finding Neverland is still just holding its place in the million club. I hope that the good audience world of mouth can over come the critics. In general most shows are down for some reason, odd since Tony nominations came out that week.

Edited by Pink ranger

Latest Broadway gross figures.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/grosses.cfm#.VUfE4nCkqK0

Hedwig played two less performance than usual last week so the numbers should normalise next week. Finding Neverland is still just holding its place in the million club. I hope that the good audience world of mouth can over come the critics. In general most shows are down for some reason, odd since Tony nominations came out that week.

I don't know, it had the second highest drop in sales, and the second lowest potential gross. It also had the second lowest attendance. Two less performances than a regular week, sure, but that's a huge drop.

With Hedwig, you have to look at the averages per performance rather than totals for the week to get a real sense of how sales went. Darren did six performances that sold a total of 4203 tickets (an average of 700 seats per show). That is down from the nearly 800 seats per show that JCM did the pervious week. Then you also look at average ticket prices, where JCM's last week was $110.47 while Darren’s was $99.62. This indicates that a higher percentage of Darren’s tickets were sold at discount than JCM’s.

I would even think that with fewer performances for his first week that Darren's averages per show would tick higher based on the fact that there were fewer chances to see him perform that first week, but that wasn't the case. Taking that into consideration, it's possible to theorize that demand to see Darren perform is even softer than the initial numbers indicate. We'll see a lot more with the grosses with his full week, but right now all his shows this week have between 550-650 seats available. These are not good numbers.

(edited)

When you look at the gross % of potential (how much the run brought in vs what it could potentially bring in based on number of shows and tickets available for that week). Darren's gross % was a big 66.39% - competitive with some of JCM's weaker weeks. And this is coming off of a huge PR push about Darren taking over the role. The first week was expected to be a big seller for Darren, but it ended up being not all that big.

As I said before, we'll see how the sales for the next few weeks go, because right now there are between 550-650 tickets available for all of Darren's shows this week. It will be his first full week of performances so we'll see if Darren is able to keep up momentum or if sales slip.

Edited by Hana Chan
(edited)

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

A bit of truth:

http://www.broadwayw...-THE-ANGRY-INCH

Darren's draw was competitive with JCM's in the five consecutive weeks before the one-off final week's rush to see him.

Funny thing about statistics, they are what they are. I looked at your source reference and it showed me that in 18 weeks of Hedwig, only 2 other weeks had a lower theatre capacity percentage than Darren's opening week. More statistics: In fact in the preceding 52 weeks it still was the 3rd lowest percentage of occupancy. That's right, the last 52 weeks. Again, statistics. Usually the opening week is one of the "biggies" box office wise. If you find that "competitive", whatever.

Having said that, I'm sure Darren (and his mama) is thrilled and his fans undertandably should be also. The show I'm guessing has a much lower overhead than most other BW productions; since it's essentially more a live concert with a band. Darren must be having the time of his life and as long as he and the producers are happy and the show makes enough money to stay afloat , who cares?

I'm more curious about Matt's show "Finding Neverland". The is a major production with a high overhead and for now the show is grossing a decent amount (over a million a week) , however it's going to be have to stay at this level for quite a few months to recoup it's costs. It would be quite a coup to be able to do that despite the Tony shutout and the critical drubbings. Apparently looking at the comments in BWW some partrons really love the show and it's theme, so who knows?

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

There are four kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, statistics, and distortion/dissembling/disingenuousness in the manipulation of facts, repeated ad nauseum in the hope of persuading the preternaturally gullible, illiterate and/or innumerate to adopt them as truth. It doesn't take an advanced degree in Linguistics or data analysis to understand perfectly well that five "consecutive" RECENT weeks of low attendance at JCM's Hedwig performances might suggest an established TREND of declining interest which Darren cannot reasonably be expected to overcome.

Funny thing about statistics, they are what they are. I looked at your source reference and it showed me that in 18 weeks of Hedwig, only 2 other weeks had a lower theatre capacity

percentage than Darren's opening week. More

statistics: In fact in the preceding 52 weeks it

still was the 3rd lowest percentage of

occupancy. That's right, the last 52 weeks.

Again, statistics. Usually the opening week is

one of the "biggies" box office wise. If you find

that "competitive", whatever.

Having said that, I'm sure Darren (and his mama) is thrilled and his fans undertandably should be also. The show I'm guessing has a

much lower overhead than most other BW

productions; since it's essentially more a live

concert with a band. Darren must be having the

time of his life and as long as he and the

producers are happy and the show makes

enough money to stay afloat , who cares?

I'm more curious about Matt's show "Finding Neverland". The is a major production with a high overhead and for now the show is grossing a decent amount (over a million a week) ,

however it's going to be have to stay at this level

for quite a few months to recoup it's costs. It

would be quite a coup to be able to do that

despite the Tony shutout and the critical

drubbings. Apparently looking at the comments

in BWW some partrons really love the show

and it's theme, so who knows?

People seem to either love or hate FN. At the very least it seems to be a general audience pleaser.

(edited)

There are four kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, statistics, and distortion/dissembling/disingenuousness in the manipulation of facts, repeated ad nauseum in the hope of persuading the preternaturally gullible, illiterate and/or innumerate to adopt them as truth. It doesn't take an advanced degree in Linguistics or data analysis to understand perfectly well that five "consecutive" RECENT weeks of low attendance at JCM's Hedwig performances might suggest an established TREND of declining interest which Darren cannot reasonably be expected to overcome.

Newflash: If every BW show's trend of declining interest is inevitable, and can't be offset or overcome, you might as well just use an understudy and save the extra expense. However many, many shows use "replacements" who are "names" in order to try to reinvigorate a show, boot the box office and somehow keep it going/afloat. This isn't rocket science. When John Cameron Mitchell came on the show he actually BOOSTED sales for a while and spurred more interest in the show. Darren was signed for 3 months, and they have tickets for sale even now for after the end of his run. If they expected him to just continue the downward trend of the last few weeks of JCM's run, then hiring him makes no economic sense. It doesn't take an advanced degree in Linguistics or data analysis to understand perfectly well the reasoning for hiring him.

If Darren can't reasonably have been expected to overcome the show's declining attendance than why bring him along to begin with? I think the expectation was to get a younger crowd interested in the show, It still might happen, but this "Lowered expectation" approach by you as a rationalization is interesting, to say the least.

I dare say if Lea MIchele was brought in as a replacement for a show with declining attendance you'd be whistling a different tune. If she increased the sales I doubt you would be shocked or think it was not be expected. Just saying.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Well... Hedwig orchestra and mezzanine tickets are going on sale this week for $65. Make of that what you will.

" Finding Neverland" is doing something similar. I'm not sure it means much.

(edited)

Synopsis of Chord's new movie, Fourth Man Out:

Adam is your average working-class guy living in small-town America. He’s an auto mechanic who spends his free time with his tight-knit band of bros, Chris, Nick and Ortiz, with whom he does everything—poker, video games, shooting hoops, getting drunk and meeting women.
But there is something about Adam that even his friends don’t know. He is not that interested in women. When he comes out, sort of by accident but not really, his best friend Chris promises him that nothing will change but, of course, some things do.
After the initial shock, the boys quickly come around to the fact that Adam is still the same dude, but when his double date with Chris ends disastrously, a drunken misunderstanding threatens to derail the group’s entire dynamic.
With a strong ensemble cast that includes Glee’s Chord Overstreet, Fourth Man Out is a feel-good comedy with plenty of heart that focuses on the growing pains of friendship.

There's also a trailer of sorts that I saw, but couldn't figure out how to post it. And to be honest it was just clips with a song playing. From what I gather, it'll premiere at some film festival at the end of May.

Edited by Craphole Island

" Finding Neverland" is doing something similar. I'm not sure it means much.

I could see where this time of the year is a low period with people being busy with finishing school and graduations, parties  and such.

The lull before the big summer season.

So I saw "Finding Neverland" last night with a huge group of people, and everyone loved it, as did the entire audience who seemed to be gaga for it. I don't really get why it was trashed. It's nicely staged (with some particularly beautiful shots), entertaining the whole way through, and judging by the number of red, swollen eyes in the theater afterwards, very affecting. The songs were maybe not tremendously catchy, but it seems like a solid enough show to me?

Matt was great, of course, though I did find his "Scottish brogue" a bit distracting. The kid who played Peter was awful, but, well...kid actors.

• Love 1

So I saw "Finding Neverland" last night with a huge group of people, and everyone loved it, as did the entire audience who seemed to be gaga for it. I don't really get why it was trashed. It's

nicely staged (with some particularly beautiful

shots), entertaining the whole way through, and

judging by the number of red, swollen eyes in

the theater afterwards, very affecting. The songs

were maybe not tremendously catchy, but it

seems like a solid enough show to me?

Matt was great, of course, though I did find his "Scottish brogue" a bit distracting. The kid who played Peter was awful, but, well...kid

actors.

Thanks for the review!!! The songs aren't the best ever, but it's nice that Matt finally gets to show off his voice a bit(from what I've heard.)

Needed something silly and brainless to watch this afternoon so watch Virtually Famous. Kevin's a really good host. He's funny and in control without being "THIS IS ALL ABOUT ME"