Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 6/9/14

I'm a person who firmly believes that phones should be put away when you're having dinner or have plans unless there's an emergency. So Glass would bug the heck out of me. I do acknowledge that more and more people are going to have it and things like Glass will be the future. I think Outer Limits did an episode about this back in the 90's.  

For those people to think that they're basically the next civil rights movement is a bit silly. Can they really not see how it'd be really uncomfortable for other people? Especially in a bar setting? But, for them to be assaulted and harassed is over the top as well. I thought Jason's piece did an ok job trying to cover both POVs. Ok, not great.

The news about Iraq is just depressing. Between China and Russia flexing their penises, the Middle East falling apart country by country, and the income inequality increasing all over the world - I just don't even know anymore.

I think "Philip K Dicks" is about right, although I don't know how they ducked glassholes.

It's kind of bog standard troll behavior, just in meat space. I think they're fully aware that they're being offensive. I think offending people who think they should have a choice about being part of their overpriced performance art is a big part of the point.

Griefers are the same all over.

^ Yeah, I think a huge part of this is 'look at me! I have teh glasses on! You don't, lol.' It's just all the people in the room with JJ being like, "what? I'm just wearin' mah glasses. You don't have to hate on me."  

Let me wear my glasses that most people don't like around a bunch of drunk people. What could possibly go wrong?

(edited)

Between people wanting to bring their guns to restauratns and now these idiots wanting to wear their stupid glasses everywhere, I will either be eating at home, or going through the drive through.

Edited by sadiegirl
  • Love 1

I have to agree with Jon Stewart about that - it's going to be interesting to see what happens when one of the open carry people runs into one of the stand your ground people, especially in a concealed carry state.

Didn't that happen in one of the shootings last week? In Las Vegas? When the shooters ran into the Walmart, there was a guy with a concealed weapon who tried to shoot them and he got killed. 

A woman was assaulted in the SF Mission for wearing the glasses, and that's not right.

Her story is actually more complicated. The video she took in that bar conflicts with the story she keeps telling the media and, most damning, she had neighbors take out a restraining order against her a couple years ago because they caught her trying to use her cameraphone to spy on them. That's exactly the kind of person you want as a Google Glass advocate, someone who has already used a portable recording device to commit an invasion of privacy.

• Love 3

I know. I didn't want to get into all the details. My point was, don't beat her up and rip the glasses off her face. Just tell the bartender or manager to deal with it. They can ask her to remove them or kick her out. 

I am happy to be a recluse.  It is a far different world than the one I grew up in, where you could usually pick out the glint of a camera lens in the trees above the nude beach, and photographers were instantly dealt with. 

I loved the raccoon story.  "My" suburban raccoons think they're just like my backyard feral cats - they look in the windows and put their front paws up high on the back french door whenever they see me stirring from my recliner in the middle of the night.  Snack time!   Last year one of the raccoon babies discovered my gigantic windchime (sounds like church bells, rarely chimes in a breeze) and did a marvelous impression of Stevie Wonder listening with bliss after standing on hind legs to reach the clapper.    I wonder if Walken was talking about a possum that the skunk was fighting with?  "Not an otter".  heh.

(edited)

I'm not by any means defending anyone who assaulted her, although from the fact that she got her tech back and the police have no record of the incident, I suspect it didn't happen quite as she's describing it.

I do think that as she doesn't appear to be a regular at that bar, and she has a history of provocative behavior (she held up her phone at her neighbors' window but didn't record anything? Srsly?), and the video she released seems to cover a selected amount of what happened, there's some possibility that she went there trolling for an altercation to promote herself with.

Which, again, doesn't excuse assault or theft if either happened.

Edited by Julia

Oh, I totally would buy that she went trolling and then got in over her head because she went to the wrong bar in the wrong neighborhood, and, uh, drunk people? 

The incredulity of the panel on TDS to simple questions like, "Do you get that some people might not like it?" was either totally faked, and if not, then they're too stupid to be trusted with technology.

(edited)

I think there might be a common level of "assholish douchery" going on here with the Google Glass and the open carry folks.  (No, I'm not comparing a gun to a camera, don't get all twisty.)

I just mean that an American minority tends to get all, "Don't go telling me what I can and cannot do.  Just watch me!" and then gets all in the face and douchey about things.

They sort of strike me as different folks with a similar motivation.  Hopefully as commercial enterprises like Chili's in Texas (open carry) and this bar wherever this forsaken lady was (glass) realize they are more of a problem than a profit, these folks will be politely asked to leave the premises before expensive problems can arise.

Then, when the douchebags see "market forces at work" (i.e., you are asked to take your douchery and get the fuck out), they will stop trying to push their tweaky little issues on the general population as a whole.  (I mean, 90% of Americans are for competent gun regulation -- just because they couldn't defeat the NRA on Capitol Hill doesn't mean they can't in the Denny's in Bumfuck, Oklahoma.)

ETA:  As for my personal opinion of language usage in English -- the words "glass" and "vape" cannot possibly return to their original meanings fast enough for me.  Ie, "glass" to the traditional usage and "vape" back into "this is not a fucking word you pretentious dork" obscurity.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3
Then, when the douchebags see "market forces at work" (i.e., you are asked to take your douchery and get the fuck out), they will stop trying to push their tweaky little issues on the general population as a whole.  (I mean, 90% of Americans are for competent gun regulation -- just because they couldn't defeat the NRA on Capitol Hill doesn't mean they can't in the Denny's in Bumfuck, Oklahoma.)

Except for some reason, the most enthusiastic anti-regulation republicans and their pot-smoking libertarian cousins seem to feel really strongly that the first and second amendment trump property rights, at least when it's their guns and their speech.

Fingers crossed, though.

I finally caught up on the last two episodes of TDS. That was sure a lot of air time Thursday for Jason Jones. He's fantastic, but I'm really missing Larry Wilmore. He's probably busy between wrapping up his obligations for Black-ish and getting ready for The Minority Report, but I wish he'd drop by for a chat with Jon.

The Iraq segment was too depressing to make me laugh, and the news just keeps getting worse, now with the mass executions... I don't know how TDS will be able to turn that into comedy, if they cover it further. I guess they somehow managed to do it before, during the Bush years which I missed. Jon is at his best when he's mad-as-hell about something, but I haven't been watching him long enough to read if he's feeling mad as hell or if his soul is feeling thoroughly crushed by everything.

In other news: I was reading articles on the NPR website and stumbled across this short piece on Christopher Walken's interview with Jon. Apparently, he told Jon that same anecdote about dancing cops back in 2007 (from around the 2:10 mark). That's interesting, I suppose (and I loved watching another interview with Jon and Walken), but I'm mostly wondering why NPR would consider that worth commenting on.

In other news: I was reading articles on the NPR website and stumbled across this short piece on Christopher Walken's interview with Jon. Apparently, he told Jon that same anecdote about dancing cops back in 2007 (from around the 2:10 mark). That's interesting, I suppose (and I loved watching another interview with Jon and Walken), but I'm mostly wondering why NPR would consider that worth commenting on.

That piece is on NPR's pop culture blog, Monkey See, and not on the news side of the site. It's actually right in line with a lot of what is posted there by Linda Holmes (who was Miss Alli on TWoP back in the day), sort of fun little pop culture snippets.