Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: Charlie's Home Alone

• Start Topic

It's the weekend of Super Bowl LII from Charlie's perspective. While Charlie searches the back office, Cricket steals the suit leaving Charlie home alone to defend himself.

That second sentence is confusing.  What is "the suit"?  I'm guessing Green Man, although I feel like they left a couple words out of that sentence.

Clozed
Salmonella
Becoz
Sooqer
Bol

Charlie at his best, and yeah, loved that salmonella was somehow the only word he spelled correctly. Loved seeing Charlie going all Kevin McCallister, Christmas music and everything. Hell, I even loved how the two guys that showed up at the bar were dead ringers for Daniel Stern and Joe Pesci.

And then it wrong wrong. It went terribly, terribly wrong. The Eagles won because Charlie was caught in a bear trap.

Next week: We see the rest of the gang at the game, I'm assuming. Most likely the party bus somehow never gets to the game.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

Basically, it's Charlie Day giving his all as Charlie Kelly, living out the plot to Home Alone . . . until he gets snared by his own bear trap, and everything goes to hell. If you've never watched Robot Chicken, they did something similar involving Kevin McCallister himself killing himself by his own devices. Macauley Culkin reprises the role. Good times. Not "Charlie goes double bugfuck on a mall Santa" good, but pretty good.

Basically, the Gang and the ore problematic recurring characters go to Minnepolis for the Super Bowl, leaving Charlie to his own devices. The episode could have just said in Hime Alone territory, but we wound up with Charlie in a hell of his own making . . . trapped in the bar, leg caught in a damn bear trap, unable to do the rituals that he knows makes the Eagles win. And when two cardboard cutouts-turned- actual-Eagles visit him in a hallucination, they have to explain that they know about the safety release on the trap because Charlie knows that . . . and Charlie doesn't get why they'd know that. Classic Charlie. When he finally turns on the TV and sees Tom Brady with the ball, the guys encourage Charlie to put the trap back on, because he just jinxed the Eagles.

I had a few "Where's Dennis?" moments, and the "one year ago" graphic threw me, since -- if you want to be pedantic -- the Super Bowl took place eight months ago. I will predict next week's episode with the Gang will have Dennis in there in some capacity.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

This took place during that stretch of time when Dennis was still with his family in North Dakota.

And speaking of Robot Chicken, this episode reminded me of the sketch where the gummy bear got caught in a bear trap.

1. I knew that. I meant that I wondered where Dennis was, then I remembered (and forgot to mention here) that he was in North Dakota with the babymama and kid. Once again, I wouldn't be too surprised if he's worked into next week's episode. Are there lakes in North Dakota? You know, where Dennis can take a few girls on a boat, yadda, yadda, yadda, the implication?

2. If you're not familiar, This is what @Galileo908 is talking about. Warning: Don't turn the volume too high.

ETA: Charlie ate a rat. I'm not shocked. Mac's Bible is a little sticky. Also not surprising.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Mah. Beside the obvious Home Alone jokes, I was bored and almost went to bed partway thru.

The beginning was interesting though. Doing a parody and setting up all the traps was funny. And that had me excited because I thought it would be another creative and detailed episode like "Charlie Work". Then the rest just dragged out in a slow and fairly predictable way.

I'm also wondering if at some point they wanted this to go at the beginning of the season. Having the waiter already reference it was weird, and telling us this was 1 year earlier doesn't add any value (yet?). It's very plausible that someone went "Superbowl episode? That's going to save the season. Put it at the end." In which case I'm even more disappointed.

This really only works if it's Charlie, and if you follow sports, you know there are real people like this. 

Given than Charlie was actually competent in Charlie Work, I was kind of hoping he opened the bar and made a boatload of money running the bar on his own. 

I could have done without the spoiler for the Green Man suit, though if I actually thought about it I probably would have guessed. 

• Love 2

I don't recall an episode before where its basically just one character by themselves the whole time, at least after the gang leaves him behind

And for me it really didn't work

I have been very disappointed in the whole season.  THis episode I found ho hum, has some moments, but more gross than funny.  I don't really need to see him eating a rat.  Doesn't surprise me, but I still don't need to see it. 

• Love 1

I liked this episode.  It was more creative than just The Gang sitting around talking.  It had some great physical comedy.  Knowing how crazy sports fans, especially Philadelphia sports fans can be, made it funnier.

• Love 1

I know this is “Sunny,” but I have to ask: how could Charlie still have a leg after losing all that blood and being in the trap for at least 24 hours? If it turns out Charlie dreamt the whole episode, I could buy that without too much complaint.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I know this is “Sunny,” but I have to ask: how could Charlie still have a leg after losing all that blood and being in the trap for at least 24 hours? If it turns out Charlie dreamt the whole episode, I could buy that without too much complaint.

Frank lost a lot more blood in "Frank Retires".

30 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

What bugged me was Charlie not even bothering to get out of the bear trap. I don't know how they work, but all he had to do is pry it open, right?

Didn't you see the part where he did get out?  You disarm them by pulling down a release lever.  Charlie didn't escape because he is an idiot and forgot about the release lever.

18 hours ago, Ray Adverb said:

Frank lost a lot more blood in "Frank Retires".

Yeah, and I know that the characters on this show are basically cartoon characters . . . but Charlie lost a lot of blood and he was in the trap for at least 24 hours. I don’t grasp how he’d still have that leg.

Also: the Waitress really did want to reproduce with Charlie. Even if she’s a lost cause, that even harder to explain than the bear trap.

19 hours ago, Ray Adverb said:

Didn't you see the part where he did get out?  You disarm them by pulling down a release lever.  Charlie didn't escape because he is an idiot and forgot about the release lever.

I saw him get out by pulling the release lever but wasn't sure if that was a real thing or not. All I know about them comes from Bugs Bunny cartoons. ha ha