Type keyword(s) to search

S37: Nick Wilson

Netta Leven
  • Start Topic

Hi.  I'm a "Redneck Lawyer" from Kentucky who'll probably be as overly praised as Donathan.

He thinks he'll have the Southern charm of J.T. from Tocantins, Heroes vs. Villains, and Game Changers.  Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to remember that J.T.'s charm really only worked in the former season, but was clearly gone by the latter two.

• Love 1

I wouldn't change growing up or living in a small town for anything, but this guy is way too much of a try hard for me.  I wish they could get some small town people that aren't such stereotypical...well, rednecks (hey that's what he calls himself).  And I have nothing wrong with that, but the small town types just don't get the best edit on here.  Assuming he makes it far, I think he's just going to be a follower of one of the bigger alpha dogs.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

So I was sort of amazed not to find much praise for Nick on the episode thread.  Considering how outrageous most people find it when someone looks through other peoples' things, the suggestion of stealing or otherwise taking their stuff would, I thought, be even more beyond the pale.  Personally I have no problem with the searching, but the attempt to shake someone down for their clothes is definitely off limits to me.  And Nick's simple but total refusal to do it was very admirable to me, considering how much he obviously wants to win and do whatever it takes to get there.

In general I really enjoy Nick; his alliance-naming gimmick is silly but seems to be effective so far, and it's a great memorable hook for his character.  He's an overplayer for sure, but a good one as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 6

What's interesting about Nick is that he was almost the first boot.  I always like to think about how the chain of events likely would have been altered if Pat hadn't been medevaced, and Nick was successfully the first boot.  If the Davids lost the second IC, would Jessica have gone?  What would the tribe swap have brought?  Would Mike have still found an ally, and would Goliath Strong turned into Naviti Strong 2.0?

I can't say I liked him the first couple of episodes, especially throwing Gabby under the bus after the Jessica vote.  I think he's a slightly obnoxious over player, but I've grown to like him.  He's got a personality I like, and I am very glad he stood his ground about his jacket and called Natalie out for being a bully and threatening his chances in the game.  I am happy he's playing the game (I love when anyone is playing the game, and not playing just for jury or to be a character), but like a few others this season, I worry he might be over doing it and that'll end up costing him.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

In general I really enjoy Nick; his alliance-naming gimmick is silly but seems to be effective so far, and it's a great memorable hook for his character.  He's an overplayer for sure, but a good one as far as I'm concerned.

Me too! I liked him so much in his pre-season interviews, plus I really like his backstory. I was worried for a while in the first episode that he was going to be a big jerk I, but by the end of it I was liking him again. And he grows on me more every episode. I was impressed how he calmly and firmly stood up to people with situational power who were trying to wield it in a pretty crappy way. 

• Love 9

Nick's from my area and we're in the same general line of work, so I'm happy that he's grown on me so much!  And he impressed me greatly, dealing with Natalie's ridiculous threats and bullying.  I hope he goes far.

• Love 7

I am absolutely over the moon that Nick won!!  What a terrific young man. He knew he’d be a goner if he hadn’t prevailed in those last immunity challenges — 3 in a row — and his humble eloquence served him so well.   After being betrayed more than a couple of times, he re-centered and kept his wits about him.   Davie and Christian (despite the bizarre Mike vote) were my other two faves.   What a great season with a terrific and deserving winner.   He is a true David and has overcome a lot to become a superb adult, one his dad must be so proud of.  I must also mention that Nick has a really lovely girlfriend who is a public defender as well.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 8

I was so nervous during this whole finale.  The one season the editors don't go and make it obvious and we don't have a bitter jury, is the one season where I care about the outcome the most.  When the first vote came up for Nick and the next 3 were for Mike I thought it was over.  Then when Probst read another Nick vote, I thought he was probably just trying to make it suspenseful.  Nick played a great game, and while he had his mistakes along the way (namely trusting Mike), I think he did rebound from them successfully.  He was just an all around good person, never bragged, never showed off, and did what he had to do to keep furthering himself.  I do think he would have beat any of the finalists, except Davie.  

I'd still like to know what Christian was talking about when he said he hoped Mike's game play was the future of the show.  I wonder if he and Christian are friends.  This cast does seem particularly close with each other.  

• Love 4
On 12/20/2018 at 1:22 AM, LadyChatts said:

I was so nervous during this whole finale.  The one season the editors don't go and make it obvious and we don't have a bitter jury, is the one season where I care about the outcome the most.  When the first vote came up for Nick and the next 3 were for Mike I thought it was over.  Then when Probst read another Nick vote, I thought he was probably just trying to make it suspenseful.  Nick played a great game, and while he had his mistakes along the way (namely trusting Mike), I think he did rebound from them successfully.  He was just an all around good person, never bragged, never showed off, and did what he had to do to keep furthering himself.  I do think he would have beat any of the finalists, except Davie.  

I'd still like to know what Christian was talking about when he said he hoped Mike's game play was the future of the show.  I wonder if he and Christian are friends.  This cast does seem particularly close with each other.  

Yeah, I don't know why Christian thinks Mike played a "transformative game"  He basically just lied to everyone constantly, had no loyalty to anyone, insulted people, didn't do well at challenges.   He deserves some credit for getting people to trust him and whispering in their ears.  But, I don't see anything special about his game.

I know Christian has talked about how he went into the game planning to create a totally chaotic situation, which he thought was his only chance to win.  (I think Christian WAY overestimated how intimidated other players would be by a skinny, robotics geek who used words like "algorithm and hypothesis", but that his a whole other discussion).  I think maybe Christian saw Mike's make alliance with and lie to everyone style as something like his own "chaos" idea.  

• Love 2