Type keyword(s) to search

The Profit in the Media

DotTV
  • Start Topic

Inc did an exclusive on Marcus, breaking down the profit, they actually got a look at the contract businesses sign. And Marcus's answer to them was interesting on that topic.

It's funny Larissa Swanson hasn't tweeted in a year but when this came out last week she retweeted it. https://twitter.com/lariss89s?lang=en

From the article:

As with any reality TV show, the journey on The Profit begins with signing away some of your rights. Inc. obtained the show's contract, which gives The Profit's production company, Machete, and CNBC, the legal right to "portray [a] company in a false light" and to "edit, cut, rearrange, adapt, dub, revise, modify, fictionalize" what the business owners say. It also gives Machete the right to record with "hidden cameras" and expose a company and its employees to "public ridicule, humiliation, or condemnation." Lemonis's investments are "simulated" too--the contract says Lemonis will hand the contestant a "prop check" to portray a "dramatic moment." (Another clause says if Lemonis wants to invest or loan the company money, that negotiation will happen off camera.) If Lemonis, or the show, hurts the company in any way, including but not limited to by giving bad business advice, participants forfeit the right to sue (they are required to enter arbitration if a dispute or claim arises). CNBC's Ackerman, a longtime reality TV creator, says the contract is boilerplate. "It's the sort of release you'd sign if you were on The Bachelor. The checks are legit," Ackerman insists, explaining that producers take the check back after shooting the scene, but companies eventually get the money. "The deals that are made on the show are legit."

Even for reality TV standards, The Profit contract is overly "aggressive" and founded on clauses that could result in the "abuse" of contestants, says one well-known reality TV producer. He says the hidden-camera clause, the false-light clause, and the ability to edit and dub what contestants say--"Franken-biting," in reality TV jargon--hark back to the golden age of reality TV shows like Big Brother and Joe Millionaire, based on manipulating contestants. Jonathan Handel, a lawyer in Los Angeles who represents documentary producers, says, "This contract says they will portray you however the hell they want. This is not something many people agree to unless they are desperate or ill-informed."

Read the full article here, it's pretty interesting. https://www.inc.com/will-yakowicz/dark-side-of-marcus-lemonis-reality-tv-show-the-profit.html?cid=sf01001

• Love 3

The article also noted, a nondisclosure agreement with CNBC and the show's production company, Machete, which threatens a $1 million penalty for breaching the confidentiality terms.

Marcus is in Southern Utah buying out the local owned RV company to make his camping world a monopoly. Southern Utah is home to the national parks and is booming right now with growth and people pouring in for jobs . Marcus flew in on his private jet and says he is now a snowbird in the area (meaning he spends his winters in Utah). there are more celebrities and wealth that live in the area, not many people think Southern Utah would attract A listers and the very wealthy but low, like dirt cheap taxes, and privacy seems to bring people here.

The locals judging by the reaction to articles are not happy he is here and taking away the last of the little guys in the RV world. He is smart to pick this location  because it is landlocked and tons of disposable income. (I feel like I am in another world compared to my family in friends in the Northeast, as the economy is doing so well and life is so normal here).  There are so many people pouring in here, the city area which is the size of Hartford or Albany? has less then 100 homes for sale and 0 for rent (the few listed have 50+ applications). A home in my old neighborhood that sold for 135k 3 years ago, sold for over 600k last week. My mom's home she bought for 99k (a small retirement home) is selling for 400k. My kids school is now over half kids from CA this year since it never closed. 

I wonder if there will be an episode on this. They had cameras and news when he did the deal. I also wonder if he really lives here like he said? While most celebs are given privacy, you still know they are around. The reality celebs like sister wives or Kalini and Aseulo (90 day) or some guy that won the bachelor they take photos, but the movie stars and singers, and wealth, just walk about town and try to blend in. Maybe a bus driver points the celeb out to the kids, or a cashier smiles and then talks to the next customer about who just went through their line. but they get left alone. I would just think Marcus with his wife being so much older might stick out even to people who do not know who he is.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 3/10/2021 at 5:57 PM, silverspoons said:

Marcus is in Southern Utah buying out the local owned RV company to make his camping world a monopoly.

Last night he tweeted this:

Looks like he really is trying for world domination - well, other than Alaska and Hawaii...

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/1/2021 at 8:13 AM, Moose135 said:

Last night he tweeted this:

Looks like he really is trying for world domination - well, other than Alaska and Hawaii...

I bet Marcus wants to dominate Wyoming. When I was first looking at camping world videos, there was an old time owner in Cheyenne Wyoming that said he would not sell out to Marcus. He has made a series of videos about camping world and taking over markets across the US. One of the things that makes it tough for the little guys is to be able to keep the employees. Camping world can offer better health coverage and in rural states getting a large group health plan is like gold. A small business owner has access to maybe just 1 plan and the rates are high and care will not go over state lines.  If you have a baby born early or get cancer, having insurance that will cross state lines (like from Wyoming to Utah or Colorado) is so important. 

What I found interesting in Southern Utah is I saw an ad right after Marcus took over the other company and it was just a letter saying they had donated to a local college. This is cosidered out of the norm and kind of tacky? in our area. I had never seen anyone do this. My husband owns a business and donates to a local public school program and never once has he advertised this. The teachers know and are thankful and some parents know because their kid is in the program and that is enough , it kind of just is known who gives, you do not wave it around in a  letter. The thing that surprised me was the Rv company donated to a school that is in the midst of changing their name due to some people considering the name racist. Kind of more surprised that you would put out a letter that said the name of the college when it is so controversial. 

I read the comments on local forums or social media, the majority is not happy with camping world taking over. They want choice, they like the little guys or they have been burned or got bad service at camping world. Then some people are concerned since Marcus has made political comments that do not aline with the majority of locals that voted. 

While I do not think there is anythign stopping him from his monopoly, I wonder what the economy will do? With home prices crazy, is he banking on people moving into RV's? Usually when home prices go up, then people do not have money or credit to buy 100k RV's?

Still wanting to know if he is filming this. As much as I do not like the feel of the monopoly, I would like to see what he is thinking and his plans. 

• Love 1
(edited)

By the time a company is applying for a show that will help their business, they're on their last gasp anyway.   

Look at the list of open/closed on Restaurant: Impossible, and Kitchen Nightmares, and most of the businesses are gone within a year or two.   

The two companies that claim Marcus drove them out of business were in sad shape before he ever came there.   Wasn't the daughter in the Courage B company working for him in the clothing operation?    

Courage B/Goosberry (? spelling) never seems all that special for the prices, and the design.      

I never understood the attraction of the Bowery Kitchen Supplies business, they have a ton of competition, and they really didn't seem to have anything that every other kitchen supply place in NYC didn't have.    I thought at the time Marcus should have walked away from that one. 

There were also episodes where I questioned if Marcus was just investing, and keeping going with the filming for the show.       In my opinion, many of the businesses hid financials, overstated profit, and income, and omitted a lot about liabilities.    In the real world, I think Marcus would have bought out very few of the businesses, and walked away from the rest.      He becomes majority stockholder of the business or no deal.   Most of the businesses were deeply in debt, had inventory that needed to be liquidated, and were on their last gasp.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

There is a new UK show called The Money Maker currently airing. It's basically The Profit, but much more realistic. The guy is way more low key and spends many months (not 5 days!) sorting things out. There does not appear to be the fake drama or family therapy sessions like in The Profit. It's low key, but I enjoyed it. I've only watched 2 episodes, though. 

• Love 4

The new show is on HGTV now.  It's called "The Renovator", and there is no business redo, but the family counseling part is featured, while Marcus helps a couple fix their home, and their lives.    Some of the design choices are not my choice, like the one wall of wallpaper, but I'm not sure I can last through the counseling sessions with the family.   The husband does have a business at the property, but they are either divorced or about to be, and this reorganization, and clean up is supposed to fix it.   

The counseling stuff on The Profit didn't interest me either, so this may not be a good fit for me to watch.  

• Love 3