Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Hoping this works. I'm curious to chat about tent location and set up. Things like garbage disposal (doubtful),  if there is hot water to the tents. The tents manage to hide all manner of electrical lines & plumbing.

• Love 1

I just finished watching the first season for the first time, & found it very interesting that they moved the tent around. A few times it looked like they were set up in a parking lot, & people would be outside staring in. During pudding week, they were actually applauding when puddings came out of the mold correctly. It must have added a lot of pressure to the contestants to have a live audience watching. Other than that, I know nothing about the tent setup LOL

• Love 3
On 8/21/2018 at 2:43 PM, GaT said:

I just finished watching the first season for the first time, & found it very interesting that they moved the tent around. A few times it looked like they were set up in a parking lot, & people would be outside staring in. During pudding week, they were actually applauding when puddings came out of the mold correctly. It must have added a lot of pressure to the contestants to have a live audience watching. Other than that, I know nothing about the tent setup LOL

I think they did that to highlight Britain. They wanted to showcase British bakes and their origins, as it is the "British Baking Show." Now the show has grown into its own entity and too big to travel anymore. It was so cute though to see how the tent used to be. It used to fit where they had room at the location, and was merely a temporary part of the scenery and vitality of that place. But now, the tent itself creates drama.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Several years ago I read an article about the workings of the show. There is a large staff behind the room that we are shown who are constantly washing the vessels and implements that the contestants use. There was a real concern about the dishwashing making noise which would be picked up on the mikes. Something I never thought about was that the artist's rendering is done after the bake has been completed not in anticipation that it would turn out well. You could say that there is some artistic license since some disasters look nothing like the illustration. What I found especially interesting is that there were one or two people on the set to run to the grocers if someone had to redo their bake since it would have been expensive to have two or three times the amount of an exotic ingredient on hand.

• Useful 5
30 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

There is a large staff behind the room that we are shown who are constantly washing the vessels and implements that the contestants use. 

According to this article, there’s actually just one woman hand-washing it all between bake time and judging, although with occasional assistance from runners.

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, caitmcg said:

According to this article, there’s actually just one woman hand-washing it all between bake time and judging, although with occasional assistance from runners.

Wow, I find that very difficult to believe.  Hot things (like the pizza) would be stone cold before everything was cleaned up enough to film.  The benches were all cleaned and washed up - no wonder the pizzas were totally unappentizing.  Cold, soggy pizza - yuck!

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Wow, I find that very difficult to believe.  Hot things (like the pizza) would be stone cold before everything was cleaned up enough to film.  The benches were all cleaned and washed up - no wonder the pizzas were totally unappentizing.  Cold, soggy pizza - yuck!

I don’t doubt that things do go cold by judging, but the article did say that they have folks clearing stuff off the benches.