Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E05: Piece of Cake

Chefs Robert Irvine and Anne Burrell leave the recruits to their own devices, asking them to work in teams to recreate a dish by taste alone. Unbeknownst to the recruits, the chefs secretly watch their every move and are shocked by what they see. For the main dish challenge, the recruits have to bake a tiered cake to suit two special guest judges, Food Network's Gesine Prado and Jason Smith. In the end, Anne and Robert decide which recruits satisfy their sweet tooth and which ones leave them with a toothache.

Frank delivered the best LOOKING cake on the blue team, did the best job with the task of combining sweet and savory, and Robert pronounced his sponge as very good.  His cake was praised, and then suddenly it was "bland."  Why bother teach the decorating techniques, if they're OK with ugly tacky cakes? 

The red team -  tell me Sarah never baked a cake before.   Impossible. 

And then tell  me that the bacon/jalapeno/whatever disgusting looking cake tasted good?  It looked like a kid's science project gone wrong. 

• Love 7

Well, crap.  I liked all the guys and Carla.  I wish they could have sent the other two women home.  It looks like the two in the finale will be Sarah and Timmy.  Bradley is cute but he doesn't seem very bright and Janese is such a ditz that it kind of scares me that she's raising kids.  There is something creepy about Sarah so I guess I'll root for Timmy.  He's a bit goofy but he's likable.  

I find it hard to believe that no contestants on any season have ever watched the show.  They pull that "We were watching on CCTV" every year and it's always a huge surprise.  They need a new gimmick.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph - are people really this dumb?

I get the feeling that they are edited and/or coached to look this dumb. I could be proven very wrong, however... 

Edited by Superclam
spellin
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I get the feeling that they are edited and/or coached to look this dumb. I could be proven very wrong, however... 

You've got to be right.  Otherwise these characters couldn't cross the street without being flattened.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, mlp said:

Well, crap.  I liked all the guys and Carla.  I wish they could have sent the other two women home.  It looks like the two in the finale will be Sarah and Timmy.  Bradley is cute but he doesn't seem very bright and Janese is such a ditz that it kind of scares me that she's raising kids.  There is something creepy about Sarah so I guess I'll root for Timmy.  He's a bit goofy but he's likable.  

I was searching for something to say about Sarah that wouldn't make me guilty of lookism...but the only thing I can come up with is "Olive Oyl".  I wish she would go away, but Anne seems fascinated by her.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Superclam said:

Well they repeatedly show that clip of Timmy trying to cut meat with the wrong side of the knife, but we have seen since that he has pretty good knife skills...

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Maya said:

Well they repeatedly show that clip of Timmy trying to cut meat with the wrong side of the knife, but we have seen since that he has pretty good knife skills...

It's a knife.  A knife.  You may pretend to have never cooked, but presumably you eat.  It's a knife.

• Love 8

Ugh, this episode.....Sorry to see Frank go, I thought his cake looked better than most of the others.  I felt like the criticism and praise didn't match up to the eventual result.  That cake with the bacon and jalapeños in it looked like a hot mess.  I couldn't get over Anne praising it to high heaven.  WTF?  Especially after Janese was a train wreck all episode, too!  Is it me or does she have a goiter?

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Is it me or does she have a goiter?

This sentence made me laugh - like how many times will you hear that sentence in your life? 

But then I went and looked at a picture. You might be right, or maybe she's wearing a necklace that is not becoming to her. It's hard to tell. I'll be on the lookout. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Superclam said:

And I went and looked during the last episode. I think she just has a short, wide neck. 

I still think it could be a goiter.  My mother had one that looked a lot like that or this:

thyroid-goiter-treatments..jpg

21 hours ago, Superclam said:

I will defer to your goiter knowledge. 

ETA: I'm trying to think up goiter jokes, and I'm drawing a blank. The whole experience is leaving a lump in my throat. 

I'll see myself out. 

LOL!

On 9/17/2018 at 12:43 PM, Superclam said:

I will defer to your goiter knowledge. 

ETA: I'm trying to think up goiter jokes, and I'm drawing a blank. The whole experience is leaving a lump in my throat. 

I'll see myself out. 

On 9/18/2018 at 10:09 AM, Yeah No said:

LOL!

I laughed too, and I have a goiter, but not like this. They're on the sides and smaller. I'm probably the only one who knows. I think she is just heavy and has a plump neck. 

• Love 1