Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Remember The Croquembouche

Aww, this is the one where Liam and Shane go to the gay bar together. This might endear Liam to me a little more.

Also, a tweet from Katie Stevens promises that this episode is made up of mostly Karmy scenes.

Also, can I just say, this entire cast is great. I was skimming Katie's Twitter and she's been replying to tons of fans, saying that she loves their "shipping" and "OTP-ing" (she doesn't even mind the real-life variety, haha).

This one actually made me really like Lauren.    

You could really see the Karma and Amy friendship in this one.  

I like Liam despite the Karma and Liam thing.   It isn't Liam chasing Karma it is the other way around.  

I felt really bad for Amy in this even though I knew she was making a mistake when she confronted Lauren.  

This episode went a long way to reminding me what Amy sees in Karma, because this was their most yin/yang dynamic since the pilot. Amy continues to break my heart, like when she jokingly took a stab at suggesting she and Karma get married. That was a good scene, because if you've been there the subtle torture for Amy when Karma is talking about how they'll get married (to other people) is so real. Poor little bb. I continue to want to protect her and alternately give her a shove to see what happens.

Next week should be interesting on the torturing Amy front....I can't help but wonder if that's when Karma will get her first inkling that something is amiss with her. Though I got the idea tonight that Lauren's going to figure it out before Karma does. Bit more on that in the speculation thread...

• Love 2

I actually kind of liked Liam this episode. I loved the "I have too much integrity!" line -- the "well duh; I'm just that awesome" delivery was great, as was Shane's indulgent "uh huh." It was also cute that they apparently make a habit of being each other's wingman at both gay and straight bars. And I agree, @ChaosTheory, I can't blame him for the whole thing with Karma, because she's been pursuing him all along even when he tries to pull away, she wants him for superficial reasons just as much as he wants her for superficial reasons, and now we know that she's even the one to suggest the threesome.

I don't dislike Karma, though. She's naive and status-obsessed, but in some ways she's more emotionally mature than Amy is -- she tried to talk Amy down, to keep her from taking the bait re: Lauren, and to break up the Amy/Lauren fight at the party. She knew the right things to say to cheer Amy up a little. I don't doubt for a second that she'd call off the fake relationship if she knew it was hurting Amy.

I definitely like Lauren more after this episode, too. I felt bad for her when she admitted that Farrah is the only friend she has. I mean, obviously she was rubbing their friendship in Amy's face on purpose, but Amy was (and always is) just as quick to insult her at any opportunity, so they're both complicit there. I'd like to see them become closer in the future -- maybe not good friends, but at least not enemies.

Next week's episode looks like a lot of fun, too. Yay for more Lauren/Shane interaction!

Karma almost had me fully understanding what all the fuss is about over her....and then the last scene happened, lol.

It was also good to see that Amy does have flaws, and she was completely in the wrong with the way she acted towards Lauren. Her mom was the problem. And even if everything Lauren was doing was ana ct, she still actually did put together a nice party that her momw as enjoying. Why destroy that?

I think Lauren is not so bad. She's just so angry about having to leave her old school, friends, etc., that she's lashing out. Karma was actually pretty cool to her in the car and Lauren could have played along. She'll never have the shorthand/mind reading that Karma and Amy have, but a road trip can be fun.

Lastly, the maid of honor thing sucked, and Amy's mom should have thought that through more, but otherwise, I think she honestly did think she was doing the right thing. Amy isn't inetrested in aprties or bridal showers so her mom wasn't going to force her to participate. She also allowed Karma to stay over even though she obviously assumes they're having sex. Lauren was actually right that she would never be allwoed to have a boyfirend stay over.

(edited)

This episode really did Karma all the favors in making us get it. Then there comes the end. Good lord, girl.

"lets make a bisexual threesome my first outing!" is.. Not Advisable. 

How does that even pop into her mind? I suppose Lauren did bring up threesomes earlier that day, but still. Amy is going to both hate the idea and read it as a sign of interest, because, well, the girl is straight up propositioning her for sex. 

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 1
Amy continues to break my heart, like when she jokingly took a stab at suggesting she and Karma get married. That was a good scene, because if you've been there the subtle torture for Amy when Karma is talking about how they'll get married (to other people) is so real.

Yeah, that scene was so good. The show lucked out when they got Amy's actress, because this type of material, true to life as it is, has been done so many times and it can come off as rote, but there was just the right tone here.

I can't say that I like Lauren more. Her "wah, I have no friends at school" would have worked better had we not seen her only in queen bitch interactions with others. I hope we will see more of her at home; it takes more than one episode to humanize a high school comedy cliche. (The scene in the bathroom reminded me of Popular, btw. That would be an interesting way to go in season 2.)

(edited)

This episode really did Karma all the favors in making us get it. Then there comes the end. Good lord, girl.

"lets make a bisexual threesome my first outing!" is.. Not Advisable. 

What I like about the frequent zomg bad decisions these kids make is that they still seem to be in the realm of believability to me.  Do we as adults understand how fucked up it is that Karma thinks this is a good idea?  Absolutely.  And yet I can totally imagine her 16 year old self thinking this is a viable solution to her problems.  Because I like these kids, but they are dumb in a lot of the ways that kids so often are, primarily in thinking they're more mature and in command of their emotions than they are.  I really doubt they're actually going to go through with the threesome, but I think it's going to air some laundry and I'm really interested to see what truths get revealed by this.

Edited by bravelittletoaster
  • Love 1
(edited)
I can't say that I like Lauren more. Her "wah, I have no friends at school" would have worked better had we not seen her only in queen bitch interactions with others. I hope we will see more of her at home; it takes more than one episode to humanize a high school comedy cliche. (The scene in the bathroom reminded me of Popular, btw. That would be an interesting way to go in season 2.)

And Lauren/Amy are both too stubborn right now to realize that they probably would be friends.

I've seen nothing to suggest that Lauren wouldn't enjoy watching Say Yes to the Dress or Twilight and their road trip to Dallas actually would have been fun had they not chosen to be miserable.

Edited by maraleia
added quote since first part was Crim's comment

This show made me sympethize with Lauren and made me understand Amy s mom. I thought the show was going to make them so anti gay just to make Karma look like the good person but in fact this episode reminded us why Amy is so thirsty for Karma and the fact that yes Farah is still having issues with Amy coming out but you can tell she still loves her daughter. With Lauren we forget that her father forced her to come live in a new town. I think she just takes it out on Amy but I bet she secretly wishes she can be like Amy.I remember when Amy came out to her mom the camera panned to Lauren and it seemed like she was proud? Idk but this show makes these characters so likable.

As for Liam I really do like the guy. I know tumblr ,inter hates him but he is a teen and we find out he does feel guilty about it. Also he and Shane are to adorable for words. Shane makes everything amazing and I love that he's over protective of Amy. (EVERYONR SHOULD WANT TO PROTECTAMY!) Next week he's going to get all hot and be cute with Lauren. I love this show and it needs to be renewed.

I hope we get more insights to Amy's moms feelings. I get the feeling if Lauren's father were to dissaprove this engagement would be dropped like a bad habit.

(edited)

This episode didn't make me like Lauren but this and the last one have made me start to understand and even feel sorry for her.  It started last episode with the nude selfie attempt.  It's sad that she was that desperate for attention.  And this episode I really don't think she was deliberately rubbing her relationship with Farrah in Amy's face it just looked like it to Amy because she wishes she could have that kind of relationship with her mom and because it is the sort of thing you'd normally expect from Lauren.

And is it wrong that I want to see more of Pieter and Petra?

Edited by tricksterson