Type keyword(s) to search

S02.08 Struggling Against the Perception of Facts

On 7/3/2018 at 7:13 PM, OtterMommy said:

With a wedding on the horizon, Anne wonders what kind of bride she'd like to be. Marilla sees an oculist, and Bash meets a friendly face in "The Bog."

I misread oculist as occultist and was thoroughly alarmed. I unabashedly adore this series, mostly due to how much the Cuthberts clearly love each other, and am fine with the liberties taken with the book, but that would have been too much, even for me. I was so relieved when Marilla started talking about glasses... 

• Love 7

I love the addition of Bash to the series. I was relieved that Gilbert’s Doctor was kind enough to treat Bash, and am fascinated by the Bog. I feel like I read every LM Montgomery book growing up, but I don’t recall a single one mentioning it. Definitely a change for the better to include it. 

I was was so relieved Prissy left that jerk at the altar. She deserves to follow her dream and go to college. Plus, Billy as Best Man? Terrible choice. 

I hope Cole goes back to school  now that Mr. Phillips has been publicly humiliated & done-zo. 

• Love 9
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:46 AM, Pearlinbloom said:

I was was so relieved Prissy left that jerk at the altar. She deserves to follow her dream and go to college. Plus, Billy as Best Man? Terrible choice. 

Isn't Billy Prissy's brother?

• Love 1

This episode was average.  There was a lot going on, so it didn't feel as focused.  Charlottetown was interesting.  It was nice to see Marilla helping Bash get on the train.  Marilla and Rachel are always amusing together, and I'm glad she bought the brooch and watch back from the pawnbroker.  I was surprised the doctor didn't have worse news about her condition.

Gilbert getting an internship was also a good step forward, though I don't get why he fainted when there wasn't even blood.  I didn't know about the Bog/slums in Charlottetown, so it was a worthwhile addition, though they didn't dig very deep (hopefully, more will be forthcoming).  Was that guy ashamed of himself after he hit Bash?  

It's hard to buy that Mr. Philips was closeted.  He went out of his way to flirt with Prissy for over a year.  Nothing we have seen have supported that "twist".  For a moment there, I thought maybe Mr. Philips was going to be the one to leave Prissy at the altar, since I figured he was sabotaging the engagement by insisting that Prissy forgo college.

I'm ready for Billy Andrews to get his comeuppance.  His mother wasn't as bad as I thought she'd be, for raising such a mean-spirited spoiled brat.  I don't feel we knew enough about Prissy to celebrate her decision to not get married.  This storyline would have been more effective if we actually believed she wanted to go to college.  

Anne's apology for ripping the veil should have excluded how she was *sure* it could be mended.  It was a relief Marilla actually complimented her for her honesty this time.

Anne spoke for modern viewers with her mindset about a lot of things in this episode.  It was a little too much all at once and took me out of the time period.  Cole trusting Anne with his secret was a nice moment, though.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 8
On 8/27/2018 at 1:25 AM, Camera One said:

...    Was that guy ashamed of himself after he hit Bash?  

...    I don't feel we knew enough about Prissy to celebrate her decision to not get married.  This storyline would have been more effective if we actually believed she wanted to go to college. 

I did not see that guy as being ashamed (though he might have been) as I saw him as regretting and sorrowful which is near the same as ashamed. This had me think of Bash as "turning the other cheek" because the man would not have regretted hitting Bash if Bash has responded or reacted angry or hostile in return. There was also the implication that Bash still had a sore jaw from the tooth and the stitches and that Bash was still lightheaded from the painkiller Laudanum, so Bash was not in any mood to be fighting that man, and yet it still shows that by "turning the other cheek" instead of fighting back can work wonders. 

I say they showed enough about Prissy to reject Mr Phillips at the alter, but it also showed a lot about Mr Phillips to inform Prissy that the marriage was not to go on. She saw the way he kept after Cole and she saw how he treated Anne and he was a bit cold to Prissy. One scene that I saw as interesting is when Mr Phillips finally kissed Prissy in the backroom where no one saw them, is that there was a sign on the wall that read something like this = "Rules for Teachers" - because a teacher is not really to be getting into a romantic relationship with a student.

The scene where the 4 girls danced a circle around Prissy in the snow was simply gorgeous, picture HERE .

• Love 3

Mr. Phillips has been treating other classmates like garbage for more than a year and Prissy had never been deterred from flirting with him and trying to garner his affections and attention. I'm not sure rules for teachers were posted on the wall like that in the past (even though a simplistic list of rules have circulated on the internet for years).  I've read manuals for teacher conduct from the turn of the century, but they're much more detailed and more procedural, and the list of duties is inside a book.

Edited by Camera One
On ‎27‎.‎8‎.‎2018 at 8:25 AM, Camera One said:

It's hard to buy that Mr. Philips was closeted.  He went out of his way to flirt with Prissy for over a year.  Nothing we have seen have supported that "twist".  

There was at least one thing: Cole dropped something on the floor, they both bowed down to collect it and Mr Phillips almost touched Cole's feet and then called him "disgusting" or something like that. I thought that was a clear hint. 

On ‎30‎.‎9‎.‎2018 at 9:14 PM, Camera One said:

Prissy had never been deterred from flirting with him and trying to garner his affections and attention. 

Prissy is a teenage girl. Whatever she did or didnät do, it was Mr Phillips who, as a teacher, should have deterred from flirting with her. 

• Love 2
On ‎27‎.‎8‎.‎2018 at 8:25 AM, Camera One said:

don't feel we knew enough about Prissy to celebrate her decision to not get married.  This storyline would have been more effective if we actually believed she wanted to go to college.  

I agree, we havn't seen anything to indicate that Prissy was interested in studies, still less to go to college. And if her mother really wanted it to her daughtrer, she should a demanded a long engagement.

Even if Mr Phillips hadn't refused her wife-to-be to study, it would have been difficult especially after Prissy had become pregnant. 

• Love 1
On 9/30/2018 at 6:46 AM, MrHammondsGhost said:

The scene where the 4 girls danced a circle around Prissy in the snow was simply gorgeous, picture HERE .

The moment just before, when she was running away, I thought was one of the prettiest things I'd seen on a TV screen all year.  Sure, sometimes I think the modern sensibility is a bit unrealistic, but it's worth watching for the visuals alone!

I felt like there were signs that Mr. Philips was "gay". He kept bullying Cole for no reason. He was even harder on Cole than he was on Anne. Also when he finally kissed Prissy, I didn't see or feel any affection in it. I felt like his face showed he didn't like it or was not interested in it. Then when Cole was in there with him alone. I was thinking something would happen and boom  it basically did when they were staring at each other while kneeling. 

I'm glad that Prissy decided not to marry him. That man was awful. He deserves to be alone. He was such a horrible teacher!! 

That Billy kid....if only I could jump through the screen...he irks my nerves

• Love 3