Type keyword(s) to search

S02.06 I Protest Against Any Absolute Conclusion

This was the first episode this season that I liked all the way through.  Finally an invented plotline that was more in the spirit of the book.  It was natural that Anne would have faced some adversity with her short hair, and I liked how Matthew helped her to be "brave".  It was Anne-ish to take the opportunity to pretend to be a boy for a day.

The flashback for Matthew was nice since we actually got to see his older brother for the first time.  It better explained why the brother's death had such an impact on him, when he was already a shy boy to begin with.  

Marilla inviting Gilbert and Sebastian over was nice, and Anne's incessant talking helped to break the ice.

It was very mean of that Andrews boy to knock the ladder over.  I hope the broken wrist won't have lingering effects on Cole's ability to draw and paint.  No doubt his mother will make a big deal blaming Sebastian for dropping that stage prop on him.

It was awful of Mrs. Lynde to push Matthew on stage dressed as the owl, though.  It was a bit too much.

• Love 2

The part where Bash and Anne first meet is interesting because Anne jumps into her surprise about Bash being "colored" and then Bash stands there looking stunned, and I interpret that to be that Bash had never seen such a person as Anne, because Anne had short hair and Anne has red and freckles and talking fast - so it would make sense that Bash was stunned by Anne's appearance.

Everyone else is stunned by seeing Bash - but Bash is stunned by seeing Anne - she looks like some little red headed fairy person.  See pic HERE.

The play (the pantomime) could have been done without dressing the Minister as a drag-queen as that was unnecessary, and it would never had happened in their real life at those times.

Introducing the brother who died (Michael) was brilliant - IMO - and the marbles too was a smart prop to let Mathew bring Michael to Anne at the last scene.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, MrHammondsGhost said:

The play (the pantomime) could have been done without dressing the Minister as a drag-queen as that was unnecessary, and it would never had happened in their real life at those times. 

As an American, I thought the pantomime was completely over the top as well, but once I saw a similar “panto” on Father Brown, I did some digging. Apparently the “pantomime dame” is traditionally a middle-aged man in drag and has been around for centuries. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantomime_dame

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

As an American, I thought the pantomime was completely over the top as well, but once I saw a similar “panto” on Father Brown, I did some digging. Apparently the “pantomime dame” is traditionally a middle-aged man in drag and has been around for centuries. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantomime_dame

That is a convincing argument so I confess that you seem to be correct, and yet it hurts my romantical view of Prince Edward Island.

I too am an American and even though I love British drama and British history - I have never liked British humor which is usually crude and rude.

My view is thereby in agreement with Marilla as she told Anne at the end of this episode = I may never look at the Minister's sermons the same way ever again.

• Love 1

My husband doesn't watch this show but happened to see the beginning when Anne walked into the school with her shorn head. His comment was to pretend to ring a bell and yell "Shame! SHAAAMME!"

(AM really did look a bit like Cersei with that haircut!)

I really liked this episode! The pantomime was hilarious precisely because I live in small town Atlantic Canada, and - yeah, I've seen that type of home-grown comedy before.

I was dreadfully afraid we would tragically lose Cole when he fell off that ladder, as there is no equivalent to him in the books. (Maybe Teddy Kent from the Emily series....if I squint. Hard.)

I also appreciate the show finding a way to include Sebastian, and I hope he sticks around Avonlea.

A couple of things I missed: Anne's blue dinner dress wasn't the same one as was in the window, right? And do we know who the old guy is who donated the shovel?

Marilla's face tearing up with relief and pride after Matthew said his part gave me the warmest glow I've gotten yet from this season.

I have some thoughts about Anne and Gilbert, but I'm waiting until the entire season airs to voice them.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

Do we know who the old guy is who donated the shovel?

On IMDB, David Fox is credited as "Infirm Old Man". His many acting credits include the role of Clive Pettibone on Road to Avonlea in the mid-90s, and John Blythe in Kevin Sullivan's 1987 Anne of Avonlea mini-series.

As someone who has never read the books (I know, shocking for a Canadian!), I am enjoying the series for what it is, even though when watching with my wife, she graciously corrects the show when it strays too far from the canonical Anne!

Also: how cute it was when Anne thanked Jerry for her Christmas card, despite the misspelling of her name!

Edited by tkc
  • Love 2
On 10/28/2018 at 7:25 PM, Miss Dee said:

My husband doesn't watch this show but happened to see the beginning when Anne walked into the school with her shorn head. His comment was to pretend to ring a bell and yell "Shame! SHAAAMME!"

(AM really did look a bit like Cersei with that haircut!)

I really liked this episode! The pantomime was hilarious precisely because I live in small town Atlantic Canada, and - yeah, I've seen that type of home-grown comedy before.

I was dreadfully afraid we would tragically lose Cole when he fell off that ladder, as there is no equivalent to him in the books. (Maybe Teddy Kent from the Emily series....if I squint. Hard.)

I also appreciate the show finding a way to include Sebastian, and I hope he sticks around Avonlea.

A couple of things I missed: Anne's blue dinner dress wasn't the same one as was in the window, right? And do we know who the old guy is who donated the shovel?

Marilla's face tearing up with relief and pride after Matthew said his part gave me the warmest glow I've gotten yet from this season.

I have some thoughts about Anne and Gilbert, but I'm waiting until the entire season airs to voice them.

I love that you mentioned The Emily series.  I just finished reading it I love it so much.  I thought Gilbert, this version of Gilbert is what Teddy Kent would look like and the Jerry would be Perry Miller.  

I thought the Pantomime was fun. I really like the charachter Bash.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

@Cherry Cola, I thought the same thing about Gil/Teddy and Jerry/Perry. You could kind of see Diana as Emily (in looks, not personality) and definitely Anne as Ilse.

Diana as Emily is perfect! I didn't even think of that. 

I think the casting is so good, Diana even looks like her mom. 

• Love 2