Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Episode 6 2018.06.21

Laura discovers a shocking truth that threatens her life and those around her. Niska continues on her mysterious journey, and must defy all her instincts to survive.

I wish sometimes we'd get a clear idea of how much stronger a Synth is than a human, because Anatole wasn't in that strong a position when he entered the Hawkins' home - there were 4 adults (including the Hawkins son) v 2 hostile synths, plus one child, one child Synth and one killbot who was clearly having second thoughts. Since we've seen Synths destroyed by humans, they're clearly not indestructible, so it wasn't entirely one sided. OK, I can buy Laura not wanting to risk her or her family's lives on that, but I'd like to know how it might have gone down if they had resisted. I'd also hope that Laura (a lawyer, lest we forget) would point out that Anatole was not just threatening a Synth (Sam) but had just ordered others to their deaths (the suicide bombers). You'd think a computer brain might see the hypocrisy in that.

Do think it's odd that Niska is the one on a quest when she's probably the most notorious Synth in the world (she had a public trial last Season!) - you'd think she'd learn to at least wear a wig. Was very surprised she not only got in the boot of the car but switched herself off, too - that's some degree of trust in a guy she just met (granted, her options were limited at that point).

Kinda bored by Mattie and Leo - and no, a surprise pregnancy doesn't make that plotline more interesting. Did like her messing with the Synth guide by asking it to speak Norwegian (I think - somewhere Scandic) and Cantonese, though that has to be one of the least secure museums around (wouldn't they have a Synth as security to stop people taking stuff?).

How is that possible for him to be full human? Maybe someone can spell it out for me, because I don't get the plotline.

I wanted Laura to be like "Oh, but we can't let this old guy go now anyway, thanks to you moronic assholes, because he will tell police about everything he's seen and create another synth media scandal threatening all my hard work. Off him! What do you mean you don't plan on killing anyone?" 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Cruella said:

How is that possible for him to be full human? Maybe someone can spell it out for me, because I don't get the plotline.

I don't find Leo particularly interesting and I feel like I missed something with regards to his physiology. He nearly died as a child so his dad used synth parts to keep him alive. Hester stabbed him and he nearly died again and spent a year in a coma. When and how did his synth parts get removed? Mattie keeps talking about how he's human now so I think I assumed his synth parts were removed. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, snowwhyte said:
21 hours ago, Cruella said:

I don't find Leo particularly interesting and I feel like I missed something with regards to his physiology. He nearly died as a child so his dad used synth parts to keep him alive. Hester stabbed him and he nearly died again and spent a year in a coma. When and how did his synth parts get removed? Mattie keeps talking about how he's human now so I think I assumed his synth parts were removed. 

Thanks! They probably are removed, I just don't get it either, how it worked out exactly. I wasn't very clear on "original" Leo...

I just want someone to do something smart or unexpected or fun at this point, because right now we only have humans ruthlessly mistreating synths and synths occasionally doing something moronic which threatens whatever little success their defenders achieved. That's it. If they wanted straight-up allegory about immigrants or minorities or whatever, maybe make the show about exactly that, because there would be interesting nuances from just reality dictating it. I mean, sure, it was always part of the story, but if you're not going for any original angle with minorities being androids, why even pretend it's about it. This is all very black and white right now. 

This synth rebellions doesn't make sense.  Synths are analytic and Stanley observed kindness from humans and saw Laura trying to advocate for the rights of synths.

Come on, are they all lemmings to follow Anatole?

Sure they may form some kind of organized resistance but they have to know adopting terrorist tactics will just lead to an overwhelming response by humans who outnumber them and control their power supply.

For being awoke though, I think the actors playing the synth still behave robotically at time.  Niska sitting in a cafe staring out into space for an extended period isn't a good look.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Is anyone else thinking the "The Synth Who Sleeps" is Fred or just me?

That would be great!

I'm not enjoying this season at all.  Not enough Mia.

Does it seem to anyone else that Leo has been aged down so he doesn't seem so much like a child predator?  I know Maddie is supposed to be 19-20 at this point, but in previous seasons Leo seemed so much older.

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:32 PM, Cruella said:

I thought the whole deal with Leo was that the Synth part of his "brain" did not survive after they needed to revive him. Which is why he is experiencing normal human memory recall. Other than that I think he still has partial Synth internal organs...?

On 7/14/2018 at 8:55 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I thought the whole deal with Leo was that the Synth part of his "brain" did not survive after they needed to revive him. Which is why he is experiencing normal human memory recall. Other than that I think he still has partial Synth internal organs...?

This is the way I read this.  The synth part of his brain died when he was stabbed.  Nothing was necessarily removed (though, I suppose they could have done that to try and heal him, but I don't think it's important to the plot line, just that it "died" somehow).  Then, his human brain was able to heal and "fill in" what went missing when his synth brain died.

The part I have trouble with is physically, after being in a coma for a year, you are not going to be able to walk around as if everything is fine.  Your muscles would have completely atrophied.  (Toby did kind of hint at this, as if the writers acknowledged the absurdity of it with an inside joke...)  But, TV is always known for medical miracles...  (I love when people suffer a gut shot, one of the most devastating ways to get shot when you survive and they are out of the hospital and just fine in a week.)

Edited by Rus-L
On 7/11/2018 at 1:03 PM, milner said:

I wanted Laura to say kill me. Not Sam or the old man 

Being Laura is pretty darn smart, I thought she was going to answer, "Anatole" and then see if chaos erupted if Stanley had obeyed her instead of Anatole...

But, the whole point of that scene was to get into the true nature of people in general and what happens when a good person is backed into a corner, forced to go against all that they believe in.  And how that affected Laura.  The last scene was devastating to watch as Laura walked down the middle of the street a completely, totally broken person.  How does someone like her recover from that?

Katherine Parkinson's acting the past two episodes has been superb.

Edited by Rus-L

Oh, Leo. I totally understand wanting to find answers at your childhood home, but just throwing whatever you find in the desk onto the floor? Not very subtle. He is supposed to be laying low so that no one figures out he's Elster's son and he decided to blow that by just tossing the office at what is now a museum. Even if they don't have cameras inside the house/museum, I'm sure it wouldn't have been difficult for traffic cameras to pick up their car as they came and left the property, especially since it didn't seem like there were a ton of visitors (heh, no one but Mattie's journalist spy).

Apparently Laura never learned that stomping on a flaming bag is always a bad idea. She's lucky there wasn't any poop in that bag. 

Poor Sam and Stanley. Now they know that they will always be less than, even to Laura. Anatole wasn't wrong about that.

I knew that the bearded guy was trouble! Those poor other synths getting lured there and dismantled.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo