Type keyword(s) to search

Inconsistencies and Continuity Goofs

“Citizens Arrest” in season 3, the episode starts with Barney and Andy discussing Barney being a deputy for 10 years.

In Season 5, “Barney’s Physical”, he celebrates 5 years being a deputy, when he has to grow a few inches and gain some weight.

• Love 1

Sometimes their house had a guest room, and sometimes it didn't.  Gomer stayed in the guest room, as did Otis and maybe one other -- maybe the man who made hat decorations and who was evicted from his house?  Not sure about that one.  But the Man In A Hurry didn't -- Opie was going to have to sleep on the ironing board -- and when the relatives came and visited, they went through all sorts of convolutions for sleeping arrangements.

• Love 2

Their house changed also. The kitchen door moved, and the entire room used to look brighter. I noticed green carpeting in the living/dining room that I don’t think was shown back when it was black & white.  The courthouse has gone through changes as well. 

On June 25, 2018 at 6:07 PM, cooksdelight said:

The color episodes come in handy. I caught someone on Ebay selling china they said came from the Taylor home. Nope, not even close.

If the china was accompanied by Bee's cooking, I'd bid on it!

• Love 1

Season one episode, Barney mentions being a deputy for 1-1/2 years. There’s a town picnic (isn’t there always?) and Andy says he’ll get Jeff Pritchard (Alan Hale in a later episode) to be a temporary deputy.

And I just noticed something, after all these years of watching ..... Their badges have 6 points, and the patch on their right shoulder of the uniform only has 5.

• Useful 1

The episode with the visiting preacher, Dr. Breen, is on now. I don’t know why I never caught this, but as Barney and Andy are relaxing on the porch, Andy said, “I think I’ll run down to the drugstore and get some ice cream for later.”

In a small town in NC back then, drugstores weren’t open on Sunday. Most stores were closed, at least they were in my hometown which is the same size as Mayberry. When I was a teenager, someone opened a convenience store/gas station and that’s about the only place that was open on a Sunday. 

I sort of miss that.

“Man In A Hurry” showed that Gomer didn’t know how to do any car repair work. He had to get his cousin Goober to fix the man’s car. Just watched “Gomer The Houseguest” and he’s got vehicles lined up waiting for him to work on them. Maybe Jim Fritzell and Everett Greenbaum (writers) figured people wouldn’t notice?

• Love 3
13 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

“Man In A Hurry” showed that Gomer didn’t know how to do any car repair work. He had to get his cousin Goober to fix the man’s car. Just watched “Gomer The Houseguest” and he’s got vehicles lined up waiting for him to work on them. Maybe Jim Fritzell and Everett Greenbaum (writers) figured people wouldn’t notice?

Either that or Gomer picked up some mechanic skills from Wally or Goober along the way so that in later episodes he could do car repairs. 

39 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

Either that or Gomer picked up some mechanic skills from Wally or Goober along the way so that in later episodes he could do car repairs. 

He was on for 2 seasons. I guess it could happen. In Mayberry. :)

Another thing that strikes me is the small one room courthouse/jail. My town is the same size (from what they have described as far as population, etc) and our courthouse is huge in comparison. Jail was in a separate section in the back, until a new detention center was built.

https://www.cherokeecounty-nc.gov/325/Historical-Cherokee-County-Courthouse

• Love 1

I just spotted a big goof! The episode where Briscoe Darling is plighting his love for Aunt Bee... in the opening scene, Andy jumps in the squad car to drive to the cafe to find out what is going on. The license plate was dark, with light lettering... JL-327 ... and the word CALIFORNIA was at the top. HAHA! NC tags have always been white. California tags during this era were navy blue with yellow letters, and were on the front and back of the car. NC only requires tags in the back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Perhaps the biggest one that went under the radar to most viewers was the fact that Frances Bavier spoke with a New York Old Society accent rather than make the slightest attempt at a Southern (much less North Carolinian) one but I suppose everyone just considered it an 'Aunt Bee' accent that somehow fit the character who'd never left the North Carolina area until very late middle age.

• Love 1

Aunt Bee was from WV, according to a couple of epiodes. But I agree, she did nothing to convey a southern accent. Even Andy lost his after a couple of seasons. I have a friend who knew Frances Bavier, pretty much confirmed everything I’ve heard about her ... she was a total bitch. Ungrateful, condescending, difficult to be around.

• Love 1

Despite going to restaurants that serve escargot on at least two different episodes, Andy acts like he has no idea that escargot are snails are each time.  

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 1

Not usually at Christmas.  I'm about an hour or so drive farther north (and at a higher elevation), and we rarely have measurable snowfall before January.  And now that I've said that, we'll be slammed this year!  :)

Within just a few episodes, Mayor Pike’s daughter’s name changed from Juanita to Josephine. She later became Lydia, no relation to the mayor, but hard to find anything for her to do since everything made her sick, or hurt her back, etc.

Color episode on now, class reunion. The class of 1948. I mentioned an earlier class reunion episode when they were the class of 1945, since Andy had mentioned being in France during WWII and there’s no way that could have happened. I guess they keep getting younger the longer the show aired.

Thelma Lou just arrived, Barney is excited to see her, not yet realizing she’s married. I don’t remember her being in their class, because when they had an earlier reunion episode she was nowhere. She was on the show then, but not at the reunion.

On 11/15/2018 at 5:47 PM, cooksdelight said:

Only missed one. I forgot about Andy Taylor Jr!

Don't feel too bad- so did the Return to Mayberry folks even though he'd have been about fourteen (Opie's age when HE left Mayberry).  I thought   Mayberry RFD's sole purpose was to keep us interested in Aunt Bee and Goober by having them around but she left after two seasons to parts somewhat unknown. It would have made MORE sense had she gone to wherever Andy and Helen lived to take care of Andy, Jr. 

Edited by Blergh
boldy gone
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don’t know why I never caught this before, as many times as I’ve watched this show....

In season one, “Andy The Matchmaker” Andy and Ellie fake a robbery story to help make Barney feel important. He comes running into the drug store with his fingerprint set, said he hadn’t had a chance to use it in two years.

In season five, “Three Wishes for Opie”, Barney finally gets the fingerprint set he’s put in for, for years, and now it’s finally here. And Helen announces she’s going to be Opie’s teacher again next year in the sixth grade.

Season eight opening episode is “Opie’s First Love”.... Arnold is turning 13 and having a party. Helen is still their teacher 3 years later, so the boys are now in the 8th grade. 

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 1

In the Christmas episode, Weaver wants Sam locked up for brewing his own alcohol.   Why does he care?  Because he sells spirits in his department stores and home brews cut into his business.   In all other episodes, Mayberry is portrayed as in a dry county.  

• Love 1

It was a dry county, as most of rural NC was back in that time period. I remember the day that beer and wine sales were allowed, even though the ABC store had been here since the 70s. Then they allowed restaurants to serve any kind of alcohol, mixed drinks in addition to beer & wine. I was working at our local newspaper at that time and the letters we got with complaints and how the town was going to hell were piled high. LOL

• Love 2

And don't forget the Brew-Thrus on the Outer Banks -- drive-thru convenience stores for beer and wine!  Also, Andy frequently ordered a beer with dinner when they went to Raleigh.

51 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

where Dirty Dancing was filmed,

Parts of Dirty Dancing.  Some of it was filmed at Mountain Lake Resort in Virginia.  :)

There is nothing wackier than liquor laws. We've taken Amtrak's Crescent from DC to New Orleans and back a few times. On a return trip on a Sunday we couldn't order wine with dinner. The waiter said Amtrak doesn't serve alcohol on Sundays. Not true. We've been on Amtrak from DC to NYC on a Sunday, and they sold alcohol. I'm presuming since the Crescent goes through certain counties that don't allow Sunday alcohol sales, they just don't sell it.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Parts of Dirty Dancing.  Some of it was filmed at Mountain Lake Resort in Virginia.  :)

My mother managed the restaurant at Fontana, and one night Patrick Swayze and his entourage were there for dinner. Patrick was berating the waitress to the point she was in tears. My mother went over to his table to find out what was going on. Patrick said, “Don’t you know who I am?”

My mother replied, “All I know is, you’re a rude asshole customer who is no longer welcome here.”

:)

• Love 5