Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E11: Blackout 2018.06.19

• Start Topic

I'm off the road tonight, and still nothing witty.  So, here.

A blackout leaves the Saga close to disaster in unfamiliar waters. Unwilling to partner, Josh must fill his quota single-handedly. Keith makes an offer only a captain could refuse.

Disco just proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Josh is USELESS on the Cornelia Marie.   If he was REALLY captaining that boat, Keith would never have offered him the relief captain job on the Wizard.   Notice he said Josh would not have to go on deck or do any of the work, just pilot the boat.    Edgar has his captain's license but Keith didn't ask him.   Because Edgar actually works on the Northwestern.    Josh is an unnecessary fixture on the CM that can be better used elsewhere.   Josh knows it too.    If he goes to the Wizard, there goes "keeping my old man's legacy alive."   

• Love 7
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Disco just proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Josh is USELESS on the Cornelia Marie.   If he was REALLY captaining that boat, Keith would never have offered him the relief captain job on the Wizard.   Notice he said Josh would not have to go on deck or do any of the work, just pilot the boat.    Edgar has his captain's license but Keith didn't ask him.   Because Edgar actually works on the Northwestern.    Josh is an unnecessary fixture on the CM that can be better used elsewhere.   Josh knows it too.    If he goes to the Wizard, there goes "keeping my old man's legacy alive."   

So many questions:  Keith needs Josh because the Wizard is a "24hr operation".........Why or maybe the question is How?  When the pots are dropped they have to soak, what other fishing can/does the crew do then?  Or does Keith have so many pots that when the last one is dropped they immediately turn around to pull in the first pot?  The one time Disco needs a "how this works" cartoon and nothing is explained.  And what is Josh's real role?  If the Cornelia Marie can run with just Casey why is Josh there?  So he bought into the boat, not all owners go to sea, is he a Captain, Co-Captain, Student or Stunt Casting?   Is the goal for him to run the boat alone eventually?  And if so considering he spent years on deck and that he knows the business what makes his journey to captainhood different from Jake Anderson - why is Jake running that Saga while Josh is still dicking around and "learning" all this time (family drama aside)?         And I may not say this right but I hated how blunt he and Casey were with Keith about the money.......not "I don't know if we can afford to be one man down" or "I'm not sure what will happen if I have to give up my stake in this trip" but straight to "What's in it for me".....Maybe that's how they do it, maybe Keith even preferred straight talk no niceties but to me it was them not first caring what Keith needed or repaying any help he gave them over the years but straight to how can they profit from this request.  Not that Josh shouldn't get something or that he should lose money if he said yes, anyone should of course but this came off more like Person A: "I need your help",  Person B: "What's in it for me".   Too bad Sean was fishing on the Brenna A and not available for Keith, 1000 times more maturity and common sense than Josh shows on any given day.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Not that Josh shouldn't get something or that he should lose money if he said yes, anyone should of course but this came off more like Person A: "I need your help",  Person B: "What's in it for me". 

Josh was not going to lose money if he went to the Wizard.    He would still get his owner's share from the CM catch, PLUS his crew share from the Wizard.   What's in it for me meant "will the cameras still focus on me if I am a relief captain or will Monte get the Wizard's camera focus?"  Believe me if Keith has said "Oh you will be all alone at the helm and we will never film Monte" Josh would have compared it to him sitting on the CM talking to Casey who is actually running the ship and would have teleported over to the Wizard.   But Keith made it about fishing and not camera time so Josh wasn't interested.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Josh was not going to lose money if he went to the Wizard.    He would still get his owner's share from the CM catch, PLUS his crew share from the Wizard.   What's in it for me meant "will the cameras still focus on me if I am a relief captain or will Monte get the Wizard's camera focus?"  Believe me if Keith has said "Oh you will be all alone at the helm and we will never film Monte" Josh would have compared it to him sitting on the CM talking to Casey who is actually running the ship and would have teleported over to the Wizard.   But Keith made it about fishing and not camera time so Josh wasn't interested.

Logically, he'd lose his portion of the "captain's share" for the CM if he weren't on it . . . but he would still get his cut of the owner's share, PLUS his portion of the "captain's share" for the Wizard. So, you're right . . . he wouldn't be likely to lose money on the deal.  He'd be going from the CM (which does NOT run 24 hours) to the Wizard (which does).  

I think you're right that if they had promised him that all scenes of the Wizard would be focused on him, he'd have jumped immediately.  

I thought it was funny that Casey's attitude was, "I'm good here if you decide to go."  Again - evidence that Josh is NOT necessary on the CM.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

The highlight of the episode was during Salty Takes when Wild Bill gots misty eyed  talking about The Notebook movie. 

Agreed.  I would love to hear Wild Bill reciting any of "The Captain's Verses" poems by Pablo Neruda.   

• Love 2
On 6/20/2018 at 4:06 AM, sigmaforce86 said:

So many questions:  Keith needs Josh because the Wizard is a "24hr operation".........Why or maybe the question is How?  

The Wizard is physically much bigger than most of the other boats.   Hence more pots, more time to dump them, and more time to soak while they drop their string.  

• Love 2

I remember more than one person (but especially Matt Bradley) talking about how much money he made on the Wizard because of the sheer volume of its catch.  Freddie, too. The downside I suppose is Keith's managerial style (erratic rage syndrome).

• Love 3
On 6/24/2018 at 12:02 PM, kassa said:

I remember more than one person (but especially Matt Bradley) talking about how much money he made on the Wizard because of the sheer volume of its catch.  Freddie, too. The downside I suppose is Keith's managerial style (erratic rage syndrome).

This used to be true for Reds (King), but is no longer.  Keith had most of his quota bought from under him a year ago.  

• Love 2