Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Interview with Danielle with a few new quotes.

"We're filming episode 5 [of season 4] right now and there's already a lot more levity to the show," Panabaker told us. "It's sort of getting back to our roots of season 1, where it was a little bit lighter and there really was so much heart. So I'm excited to get to explore that a little bit more."

Re: the new promo:

- They used Grant's hiatus beard in the show, but won't even let Carlos grow out a quarter inch of facial hair. ?
tumblr_o9jqbtbinv1qe0l0wo3_500.gif

- Cecile!
- Cisco made a new suit for Barry while he was disappeared in the speed force??
- Streaking Barry was on my wishlist; maybe this season has a chance to turn out good after all!
- I think Iris might have let herself get taken.
- And there's "home"; one of WestAllen's keywords.

Article on Comicbook.com about baby West Allen (Mitch Gerads replied and said thank you)

Mister Miracle artist Mitch Gerads introduced social media to his newborn son today -- and the baby's name is bound to delight fans of The Flash.

Gerads, a rising star in the comics industry whose work on Sheriff of Babylon made him an indispensable partner for Batman writer Tom King, tweeted out a photo of the baby this afternoon, making a pair of comic book jokes before introducing "West Allen Gerads."

Iris West-Allen, nee Iris West, was the married name of The Flash's wife from the late '60s until the 2011 Flashpoint reboot of the DC Universe's continuity. On The CW's The Flash, the pairing of Barry and Iris is a fan-favorite "ship," spawning the popular #WestAllen hashtag.

Recently, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg openly admitted that season four of The Flash, which begins in October, will feature the marriage of Barry and Iris -- but left a dangling question mark about whether or not the marriage would work.

“They are finally going to get married this season and then it’s going to be: Can they stay married with everything that’s coming up against them?” Kreisberg said.

Unsurprisingly, Gerads's mentions quickly filled up with well-wishes from friends and fellow comics pros -- and soon thereafter with excited fans posting #WestAllen memes that the Gerads clan had just better get used to for the time being.

You can check out the tweet below.

Congratulations to Mitch and his family.

Mister Miracle #2 hits the stands tomorrow. You can get a copy at your local comics retailer or pre-order a digital one here.

• Love 4

Critics Pick the Returning TV Shows They Can’t Wait to See — IndieWire Survey

Allison Keene (@KeeneTV), Collider

There are several returning shows that I’m curious about this fall, in terms of whether or not they’ll get back to their former glory (“Mr. Robot,” “The Flash”), if they’ll use a reset to propel the show into new territory (“Arrow,” “Outlander”), or if they’ll still feel as wonderfully homey in their new seasons (“Poldark,” “The Durrells in Corfu”) as they have in years past.

Damian Holbrook (@damianholbrook), TV Guide Magazine

Of course I am excited for all of my superhero shows to get back to saving the day. “Gotham” is going full-on “Batman Begins,” and if “Legends of Tomorrow” can keep up the fun it had last season, it’s third round could be a total scream. The ensemble works perfectly now. “The Flash” has a lot of promise with the decision to put Candice Patton’s Iris in a bigger team role. Both women are ready for it, as are the fans. “Supergirl” never fails to make me happy and “Arrow” is finally free of the Lian Yu flashbacks, so fingers crossed we can put them behind us and move on—plus, Katie Cassidy back as Black Siren? Sign. Me. Up.

• Love 3
On 9/12/2017 at 11:37 PM, Trini said:

Re: the new promo:

- They used Grant's hiatus beard in the show, but won't even let Carlos grow out a quarter inch of facial hair. ?
tumblr_o9jqbtbinv1qe0l0wo3_500.gif

- Cecile!
- Cisco made a new suit for Barry while he was disappeared in the speed force??
- Streaking Barry was on my wishlist; maybe this season has a chance to turn out good after all!
- I think Iris might have let herself get taken.
- And there's "home"; one of WestAllen's keywords.

That promo somehow managed to make the wait to October 10th seem even longer. Thanks alot, Flash. 

As to your points:

.Like Barry, they're probably consciously trying to preserve his boyish charm by keeping him baby smooth. As we've now seen, keeping the both of them this way 24/7 is a mistake, because yowza.

.Cecile taking all of this in stride really makes me wonder how the CCPD reacted to their missing CSI being brought in by the D.A wearing nothing  but a few months  worth of attractive facial scruff and a blanket. What on earth has Joe been telling everyone about his whereabouts since spring? And will they finally admit that Captain Singh knows already?

.No one knows the particulars of Barry's lanky frame quite like Cisco. He probably spent months lovingly fitting it, framing it, stitching on the little golden lightning bolts...you know, all perfectly normal things. We all cope in different ways, Trini!

.I was saying elsewhere that that truck driver probably just got the thrill of his life, and with any luck so will we. If they can give us burning bras with ladies from two different shows, they can give us this!

.I think this, too. And as she did everything but clasp her hands and bat her lashes, this has the potential to be both clever and cheeky. I like it.

.Yes. Always. 

12 hours ago, RedVitC said:

Article on Comicbook.com about baby West Allen (Mitch Gerads replied and said thank you)

It's going to be a continuing source of amusement for me these last few weeks before the premiere how this marriage quote is going to be taken and run to the ends of the earth by fan and article speculation alike. Because not only could I not be less worried at this point, but I'm absolutely delighted. It's exactly what we've been waiting for. Years and years of their stories and Flash history have been framed around navigating the world of rogue spreeing time bending body swapping secret identity-ing death and resurrecting Superheroing together, and this is the start of all of that. It's the start of everything! How could we not be excited?

And speaking of...

On 9/12/2017 at 8:40 PM, Trini said:

Also, literal Baby West Allen:

The father is an illustrator for DC Comics.

This is amazing, and so sweet. It's always wonderful when characters (in any medium) connect with someone, and even more so when the people bringing them to life really love them. I hope someone's shown this to Geoff Johns, and Flashtv too. I love it.

Edited by Karlophe
Argh, embedding.
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Karlophe said:

.No one knows the particulars of Barry's lanky frame quite like Cisco. He probably spent months lovingly fitting it, framing it, stitching on the little golden lightning bolts...you know, all perfectly normal things. We all cope in different ways, Trini!

Hee! I mean, he didn't know if Barry would be coming back EVER, but he still went through the trouble. Oh, Cisco....

From DCTV Watch's take on the promo:

... Watching him dote over his shell of a best friend with promises of a new suit that needs to be taken out for a spin in an almost creepy-cheerful way, it's clear that Cisco isn't going to let Barry stay out of commission for long. ...

"The premiere is all about Iris and Cisco" was one of the quotes from Comic Con, so I'm glad that is reflected in the new trailer. I'm concerned about the absence of Caitlin, though; they really don't want to reveal what's going on with her.

8 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

I saw this posted in the Mind Your Surroundings Arrow thread and I'd take this with a grain of salt, but supposedly Tom Welling is willing to appear on The Flash as Earth 1's Superman.

http://nukethefridge.com/exclusive-tom-welling-invites-the-cw-flash-to-race-through-smallville/

I'd love to see him guest star in the CW/DC-verse. I don't necessarily need to see him as Clark/Superman, though.

Snippets of this interview have already been published, but here's EW's longer interview with Kreisberg about the 4th Season. *spoilers*

Yeah, we’re not doing Rebirth based on that title. We were actually going to call it Rebirth, and then realized everybody was going to think we were doing Rebirth, which is why we changed it to “The Flash Reborn.” These first three years were really about growing up and now they’re all adults, which is both good and bad. They’ve all become pretty expert at what they do and they’re not as wide-eyed about everything that’s happening to them.

Article: The Top 15 TV Couples and Why We Love Them

Barry an Iris were picked as nr. 1

1. Barry and Iris, The Flash

Some may argue that there’s no real place for romance in superhero stories. I beg to differ. In certain instances, like on The Flash, it is a driving force within the narrative. After all, Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) wouldn’t be the character we know and love without his other half, one Iris West (Candice Patton) (as was very much made clear in season three’s “The Once and Future Flash”). Throughout the show, their relationship has been central to various plots and even to Barry’s powers; beyond that, it’s become the very heart of the show. Iris, level-headed, emotionally mature and a natural leader, allows herself to be vulnerable with Barry in a way she isn’t with anyone else. Meanwhile, Barry, whose emotions can get the better of him at times, lets himself be grounded by Iris’ words; she’s also the one woman who brings out his exceptionally romantic side (see: singing “Runnin’ Home to You” to propose). At the core of their relationship is friendship and a deep, meaningful connection. They’ve both been shown to fight for each other time and again. While their journey has hit the occasional bump in the road (as every journey is wont to do), Barry and Iris are each other’s home and are able to find each other no matter the timeline or universe. And after finally becoming a couple in season three, they continue to prove that they are stronger together. —Mae Abdulbaki

• Love 2

A Visual History of The Flash:

To celebrate the imminent start of The Flash: Season 4 on The CW, and the upcoming release of the Justice League movie, we've put together a slideshow spotlighting the most memorable Flash costumes from the last 75 years.

The Flash #15 of the top 20 shows right now, according to this data analysis:

Data from Parrot Analytics has previously estimated what the 20 most popular shows in the world are in two month periods. But this time around, they’ve released information for the last week of September. Parrot measures the popularity of a given show in average demand expressions per capita, which they describe as “the total audience demand being expressed for a title, within a country, on any platform, per 100 capita.” In addition to viewership, this takes into account things like social media engagement, with more weight being given to more important actions like watching a series, versus simply commenting on a video.

Interview with Kim Engelbrecht who will be starring in the show this season:

“I don’t know how I will be received. I hope that they like my character‚ but I will just take it as it comes. I am excited to head back and watch the show’s debut‚” she said.

Article about Iris:

5 Reasons Why I Just LOVE Iris West

Iris West is a great character, so I know it’s not hard for you to believe that I love her. If you’re reading this, chances are that you love her too. I mean, she’s brave, selfless, smart, loyal, and kind and those are just a few of her best attributes! Of course, I could go on, but if I tried to list everything that I loved about Iris West, I would be writing forever. Lucky for you, I’ve narrowed it down to my top five!

Here are five reasons that I love Iris West.

Putting the reasons here. Explanations at the source:

Her Envy-Inducing Wardrobe

She Kicks BUTT

She’s Brave!

She Has Integrity

She Loves — Hard

• Love 2

I hate comicbook.com's M.O. of taking one interview and making it into 37 "articles", but here's a quote I hadn't seen elsewhere:

"The second that we went to Infantino Street for the first time in season three and showed the audience Iris dying, it didn't take us long to realize to keep up that tension was going to be a big thing and hard to do for a lot of reasons," Helbing told ComicBook.com. "And simultaneously, we realized how dark the show was getting. So we made a conscious effort to change that, and that was one of the reason that we decided to have Barry go into the Speed Force at the end -- because it's a place where you know for the speedsters they can have varying experiences and we knew that we wanted to get back to a lighter tone, so we could explore what Barry's experience was in a way that could help us shift the tone back to something more fun."

Helbing interview at RottenTomatoes; a couple excerpts:

This season’s big bad is The Thinker. There’s mind control involved with this guy, yes?

Like always, we take the villains and put them through our Flash television blender. It’s not that we fully reimagine every single one of these guys or girls, but we certainly give them powers that we think fit better organically in our show. So we’ve done the same thing with DeVoe here. It’s not so much mind control as it is just he is the ultimate chess master. There’s some metahuman capabilities on top of his thinking capacity, but I can’t spoil it for you.

How is Iris as a leader in Barry’s absence, especially after being a victim all last season?

Last year from episode 9 on, she was in this defensive position and not only did that become problematic story-wise and how to keep up that tension for 13 episodes, but I think as a character, it was hard for Candice to play that. So we really wanted to do a nice shift. We wanted to do a lot of shifts on this show, but to make her more proactive this year and from what we’ve seen with Candice, she really shines like she never has before. It’s fantastic to see her in this authority position. So having her as the team leader and driving these missions, it’s been a lot of fun. She’s a phenomenal actress and I think what we’re giving her this year, she’s really taking it and redefining her role. It’s great.

---------------------

Another Helbing interview, with IGN: 'The Flash: 5 Teases for Season 4'

... "The whole dynamic has shifted and when Barry reestablishes himself in the team, there's a lot of challenges because of that. As I'm sure you can imagine, someone leaving for six months then coming back is going to take a little while to get used to how that's going to work."

"When she left, she had to go deal with this on her own, figure out exactly who she was and how to deal with this newfound person inside of her. When we find her, she's had time to figure it out," he says. "Her personality has slightly altered a little bit, so she's not the Caitlin we saw in Season 3 or the seasons before that."

• Love 1

Quotes from the cast teasing the premiere and Season 4: http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/09/flash-season-4-spoilers-barry-speed-force/

“Joe is really, really worried about Iris and thinks that she has taken this too easily,” Jesse L. Martin says. “That doesn’t sit right with him; something’s not right. If she’s just accepting this, then something’s not right. He’s trying to encourage her to express herself.”

“The producers and writers are pretty hands-on this season about changing the tone of the show and getting back to a lot of the humor that we had in season 1,” Patton says. “I’ll even venture to say that there’s way more than even season 1, just in terms of the lightheartedness and jokes and funny scenarios that happen on the show. It’s really fun. I know me and Grant have had a couple of those scenes where it’s just been him and I, and we’ve both gotten to really put our comedy chops on the line. I’ve spent three seasons crying so much, and I haven’t really gotten to do a lot of that lighthearted stuff, so it’s really fun. We’re trying to go back to this more lighthearted comic-book-y version of The Flash.

• Love 1

Another Helbing interview previewing the season; from TVGuide: *spoilers*

You've said Season 4 won't be as dark as Season 3, so how did you guys go about lightening up the show?

Helbing: The first episode is probably the closest tonally to the past three seasons, and even that shifts a little bit. It really kicks off in Episode 2. Everything starts with Barry as far as his tone... When he sort of comes out and has let everything go, it certainly has a trickle down effect with the team. There's a lot of jokes, there's a lot of fun scenarios. We're really swinging for the fences as far as the fun factor is concerned.

Edited by Trini

Short interview with Grant Gustin: https://www.metro.us/entertainment/tv/grant-gustin-the-flash-season-4-premiere

Barry is also more mature now, Gustin notes. “He’ll continue to mature and work with his team and be less hard-headed,”he says. “With Speed Force, Barry is controlling everything better. And mentally he’s stronger.”

How will that compare with this season? Can we expect more a mixture of action and humor?

Our writers have said from the beginning that “The Flash” is based on the three H’s: heart, humor and heroism, in that order. This season definitely has the potential to be our best season, because we really stick to comedy without leaving the heart of things, and the relationships. There will be a lot of Barry and Iris this season, there's a lot more to Barry and Joe this season, so we’re going back to basics and having fun with the show.

Do you do a lot of your own stunts?

Well, I try, you know, but they don’t let me do anything dangerous. I've done some semi-fun stuff. During the first two [seasons], which were the most fun, I was allowed to wear the harness. There was a very cool pull that threw me on to the floor where I fell standing. It was a lot of fun to do, I got up about six feet off the floor, it was fun.

Still some articles to post before the premiere of Season for today!

The Flash Season 4: Everything We Want To See!

Here are the points, that are written about:

1. More Journalism For The Ace Reporter

2. Happiness For Cailtin Snow

3. The Barry/Iris Wedding To Be A Success

4. Harry Wells To Permanently Move To Earth-1

5. Kid Flash To Get A Bigger Role - The Flash

6. Speed Force To Be Less Of A Dick

7. More Jay Garrick

8. Another Annual Supergirl/The Flash Crossover

9. Bring Back Jesse Quick For A Bigger Role

10. Assemble The Rogues

11. Put A Flash Ring On It

12. Introduce Bart Allen/Impulse

13. More Of Barry As CSI

14. A Visit To A Fun Future

15. Flash Family

Edited by RedVitC
  • Love 1

Grant Gustin interview; pretty sure this is from Comic Con, but I hadn't seen this quote elsewhere:

How did you deal with the darkness last season?

I have said this to the creators. Nothing against the show, but it was absolutely the hardest season. It was a dark season. In Season 1 when I shot the scene with Nora where I go back in time, I want to save her, but then I watch her die. That was the hardest scene I have ever shot on the show. When I went home, I was still affected by it. I was in the shower crying. We shot it for four hours and I just remember being rocked by it. I felt like we had really lost somebody because we had done it for so long. There were a lot of days like that last year. You go home in a bad mood because you’ve been playing these dark things all day and you become aggravated easily. It was just a hard season.

The Flash: 5 Reasons To Be Excited For Season 4

(didn't post the intro)

Lighter Tone and Barry Being Rid of His Burdens

Back in May, I wrote that one of the things The Flash needed more of in season four was more lightheartedness. After heading down a very, very dark path in season three, it seems like the showrunners will be reducing the dark in favor of a lighter tone and some much needed humor. There’s no doubt that some of the angst won’t disappear completely, but we can rest assured that Barry will be coming back from the speed force having rid himself of the weight and burden he’s carried for the last two seasons. While we know that Grant Gustin can always deliver the emotion, and even play a villain, it’s time for Barry to go back to enjoying being The Flash. This new outlook for him will uplift the series immensely and rejuvenate many of the more fun aspects of the show.

Iris Leading STAR Labs

Since the show refuses to leave the basement of STAR Labs, moving Iris into the leader position isn’t only one of the smartest moves the show has made, but one of the most organic. Iris West is a natural leader and the instances that The Flash has been able to showcase this, it’s been to its benefit. When everyone’s losing their heads, she steps in with a commanding voice and a plan. An example of this is when Barry loses his memories in season three and everyone begins panicking; Iris is quick to step in with a plan of action. As much as it pains me to see that the showrunners can’t weave in her journalism into the main story arc of the show, it doesn’t mean it’s been forgotten (we’ll probably get a couple of episodes of her working like we did last season). However, I’m more than ready to see Iris in a leadership role. After all, when no one else can get Barry to see sense, she can. This role will not only allow her to be the primary decision maker on the team, but it has the potential to expand on her relationships with other characters outside of Barry and the Wests as well. 

A Non-Speedster Villain

For the last three seasons, we’ve gone through three different speedster villains and it’s gotten a bit exhausting. Hearing that the primary villain for season four will be a non-speedster is both refreshing and has the potential to challenge Barry to use his mind (he is a CSI and the show forgets this sometimes) rather than just his feet. The Thinker, aka Clifford DeVoe (who will be played by Neil Sandilands) has been teased as the “world’s fastest mind.” This premise sounds like enough to keep Barry and the rest of Team Flash on their toes; it’ll definitely be a nice change for the show and will allow the writers to stretch their imaginations in terms of plot a bit more.

Barry and Iris’ Wedding

After getting engaged last season, it’s been confirmed that Barry and Iris will definitely be tying the knot in season four. The wedding, which will be taking place during the four-episode crossover, titled “Crisis on Earth-X,” and will include a long guest list of superheroes from the remaining Arrowverse shows, has long been hinted at (going all the way back to the first season). Given the fact that the show commissioned an original song to be written so that Barry could propose to Iris, I’m sure the highly anticipated wedding will have more than its fair share of special moments for the couple. Barry and Iris have been through a lot and they deserve this happiness (even if it’ll be interrupted by villains) after last season’s dark storyline.

More Character Interactions Outside of Barry 

With Barry having been gone for six months, everyone had to find a way to move on in the wake of his absence. This all sounds grim and dreary, but it doesn’t have to be. Why? Because maybe Barry’s absence may be just what the show needed. With Iris’ status elevated to team leader, it means more one-on-one interactions with everyone else on the team. We already know that Cisco and Iris will butt heads a bit in the first episode (“a bit” on this show means about 5-7 minutes or so), but this is good because it gives The Flash another fun dynamic to work with. The Flash has a tendency to have everything, including other characters’ stories, center around Barry in some way, so much so that it has hindered everyone else from being able to interact with one another in a more meaningful way. In season four, we’ll be getting more West family moments and we already know that Iris will also be interacting more with Cisco, Caitlin, Cecile, and even Arrow’s Felicity Smoak. So while the core dynamics of the show could remain the same, Barry’s sojourn in the speed force might be enough to shake up some of the dynamics in a good way.

• Love 1

Hey, they're still doing Chronicles of Cisco!

http://chroniclesofcisco.tumblr.com/post/166295993070/lights-cameras-vibe-and-kid-flaction-weve

Lights! Cameras! Vibe and Kid Fl…action! We’ve been picking up the superhero slack since Barry sacrificed him to the Speed Force and Caitlin bailed to figure things out. I have to say, in the face of so much loss, we’ve been a pretty dynamic duo.  Hey Hollywood! Feel free to launch an entire Vibe and Kid Flash film franchise and don’t forget the Big Belly Burger Kids Meal toyline tie-in.  Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself. We’re still ironing the kinks out of the operation.  While we always get the job done, it’s been taking longer than it did when The Flash was leading the charge.  This means zip, zilch, zero downtime. It’s so bad that I’ve missed every single summer movie blockbuster. Epic fail!...

'Keiynan Lonsdale on What We Can Expect for Wally West This Season'

Speaking of pressure, Wally West has a lot going into the season, considering Barry’s temporarily gone in the speed force, and he’s obviously still growing into his own abilities as a speedster. What can we expect of Wally’s arc this season?

I think we’re happily surprised for him, because he could really be feeling the weight on his shoulders, but he’s actually feeling quite light. Because he’s coming into his own, it’s this bittersweet opportunity to find himself in a strange way. Also, he’s not really processing his own emotions as much because he’s really looking out for his sister, and he knows that at the end of the day, she’s hurting the most. He’s able to see the big picture because he loves her so much, and she’s really struggling, whether or not she shares that. But he’s very aware of what’s going on.

The chemistry between the West family — between you and Candice Patton, who plays Iris, and Jesse L. Martin — is honestly pretty amazing. How is it working with them and creating such a real-feeling familial dynamic? 

It’s really organic because we do feel like a family on and offscreen. We hang out a lot. Candice and I feel like brother and sister; Jesse feels like our dad.