Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E21: Turks & Caicos

The family travels to Turks & Caicos for Brandon and Eliza’s wedding where they find themselves at odds with their future in-laws. Meanwhile, when Brandon and Eliza find themselves butting heads, Brandon turns to the person who knows him best.

Yeah, the whole Brandon/Eliza relationship woes don't work when we only just met the girl. I will say that I think the show wants me to not really like Eliza, but I think she's lived a life where she was given everything and she's afraid to break away or speak up about anything, so it's affected how she responds to people. Her attitude toward Brandon, though understandable, was clearly because of the pressure of the wedding plus her overhearing Callie's confession. I think she's definitely making mistakes, but she really does seem like a sweet girl. She really has the worst parents; somehow, her and her brothers turned out well. Well, besides the younger closeted brother. Actually, all three of them seem to be messed up in different ways, but they're better people than their parents.

Speaking of that, Eliza's brother (Jamie?) is pretty cool. They cast a known actor, at least in the teen genre, so am I expecting him to join the spinoff? Absolutely; I don't think they would have cast him if he was only for these three episodes. 

I do hope Eliza can break off from her parents and not be afraid to speak up. I feel like she has a whole lot to say and she seems to disagree with a lot, but her flaw is really going with everything and being more of a coward. Of course, it makes sense as to why Callie hates her; Callie speaks up about anything and everything so she can't stand someone who doesn't. And as someone who can relate to Eliza, I can see her biggest flaw making her seem to be a bitch, but I do think she has a good heart. She just needs to learn to stand up for herself and not be afraid to voice her opinion. But I assume her character is only supposed to be 22/23, so she can outgrow that side of herself. 

I'm annoyed with how cliche Eliza's parents are. Yes, we get it. They're snobby, old-fashioned, and probably homophobic as well. They don't like anything out of their rich lifestyle norm. 

I will say that I love the little moments of Corey on Facetime, but I especially love the little hints about how close Corey and Jesus are. 

Nope; I muted the Mat/Mariana duet. Not handling that shit, and if Mat's in the spinoff, I can only assume there will be many, many more instances of them singing together. Also, the obnoxiousness of flashback Brallie; I didn't know this show was about Brallie, after all. I thought it was about the whole family, but Brallie is getting a whole lot of screen time for the finale while the moms have been in the background. 

Mariana butting in to Jesus and Emma's relationship is, as always, annoying as hell. I can't say I really felt for her when Jesus yelled at her. They'll obviously work things out as well, so that's why I'm not concerned. I am glad Jesus got to have a little fling of his own. I assume him and Emma are getting back together, regardless. 

No surprise at the end cliffhanger. I assume it's Eliza at Brandon's door and Callie going to Jamie's door. 

• Love 4

Brandon hasn't stood up for himself or spoken up for himself, either, though. He should have objected to a wedding half  his famioly couldn't attend a long time ago. He also should have said no to last minute surprises like the pre-nup or his moms not being able to perform the ceremony. He was right to ask what the HOA fees would be and to finally confront Eliza, but it was way late for them to start having those conversations. So in a way, Eliza and Brandon are kind of the same and maybe they both need to be more assertive. I didn't like Eliza whining about him watching the video, and overall she just seems not really mature enough for marriage. I don't think she's a terrible person, but she doesn't seem like an adult.

Jesus blaming Mariana for his and Emma's break up is ridiculous. Yes, she should mind her own business and stop meddling, but how Jesus and Emma handled that conversation was also terrible.

I hate the "Braillie" stuff. The last time they did the "fade as the door opens" thing they actually did go there, so I don't trust them now, either. I hope it's not the same BS, but they sure do want to make us think it is, and I really hate it.

I love Corey, but he's almost too cute to be real.

Jude was OK, finally.

Callie's so tense, it's like she's going to break.

I really don't want all the siblings in law to hook up with each other, though. I mean: it's fine for them to bond, I like that. But romances between Jude and Younger Bro, Callie and Older Bro AND whatever happens between Brandon and Eliza-- it's kind of gross.

Older Bro should have talked to Eliza or Brandon or both of them about the pre-nup, though.

• Love 3

So I'm guessing all these doubts amount to nothing and they do end up getting married because three episodes centered around a wedding that doesn't happen is a real bummer note to end a warm/fuzzy series on. Then again, we have zero reason to root for Eliza (and Brandon), since we barely know her.  Mr. Taragel said he thought someone else would get married but the only real possibility seemed to be Jesus if Emma suddenly shows up---but then Jesus slept with the bridesmaid presumably. I'm thinking the door thing is a fakeout this time. I can't see them opening that can of worms again now. Right now this finale feels pretty pointless to be honest--just a way for the show to have a nice finale on-location in a beautiful place. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

Brandon hasn't stood up for himself or spoken up for himself, either, though. He should have objected to a wedding half  his famioly couldn't attend a long time ago. He also should have said no to last minute surprises like the pre-nup or his moms not being able to perform the ceremony. He was right to ask what the HOA fees would be and to finally confront Eliza, but it was way late for them to start having those conversations. So in a way, Eliza and Brandon are kind of the same and maybe they both need to be more assertive. I didn't like Eliza whining about him watching the video, and overall she just seems not really mature enough for marriage. I don't think she's a terrible person, but she doesn't seem like an adult.

Oh, oh hell yeah to this. Brandon certainly is just as much of a coward. He also seems to be afraid of Eliza's parents and what they'll do to both of them, which is why he keeps telling her not to step out of line, essentially (and she's also happily going along with it). It only took a push for Brandon to finally confront Eliza, but it probably will take her more. I didn't like Eliza's snippy behaviour about Brandon's job. Sure, they're supposed to be focused on the wedding and honeymoon, but girl, don't get into the whole "you're not getting paid for this job" remark. I don't disagree with Callie's assertion about Eliza being immature, and I literally could not care less about Brandon/Eliza getting married. I would not be upset if they called off the wedding. They've given me little reason to care, especially since the last episode had one of them lying about the way they met (I'm guessing it was Eliza). I'm more annoyed with the way they're writing it, because it's just so damn cliche. 

I love Corey, but he's almost too cute to be real.

He definitely feels precocious. He's cute and all, but I'm not really rooting for him one way or another. Stay with Stef/Lena or don't; the show doesn't seem invested in the storyline anyway. He's had a grand total of five minutes of screen time in both episodes. They seem more invested in Brallie. 

Jesus blaming Mariana for his and Emma's break up is ridiculous. Yes, she should mind her own business and stop meddling, but how Jesus and Emma handled that conversation was also terrible.

The whole Jesus/Emma relationship is pretty messed up. I still don't think she sees a future with Jesus, no matter what they showed with the text message to Mariana. That being said, yeah, I didn't hate Jesus snapping at her, but his reason for doing so was ridiculous. So, he'd rather be kept in the dark about Emma's job offer just so he could be oblivious and still happy? Ok, buddy. She would have still grown to resent you subconsciously either way. It's better for this drama to be laid out on the table. And his reaction to it was sleeping with another woman? That's definitely very immature. Again, all I see is them getting married at the end of this, which is NOT how the relationship should go. These two have a lot of issues to work out, they always have. 

I can't believe that the dominant story in this series finale is Brandon/Callie. Again. They have been writing them as real siblings for a long time now. They had him move on, quite seriously, with Grace. Then they even added a time jump to cement the familial relationship even further, and now they're going back to this well as a primary focus? I kind of regret watching this 3-parter.

• Love 5

Again, I want to emphasize that the romantic arc (or should I say thrust har har) of this entire finale is whether or not the main character will fuck her brother. And they're getting the dreamy dramatic angst edit too. IT'S HER BROTHER. why, why is this still a thing,

they're 22 now, are we supposed to think...they've been fantasizing about each other since their teens? hoping one will come back? this will never be the epic romance the writers are hoping for. you don't just see your sibling as your sibling one day and then a love interest the next because you're lonely/horny. wtf.

jude and the younger brother were cute in the hotel even if hayden still can't act his way out of a paper bag.

Tbh I thought Emma/Jesus would've broken up years ago. 

Jesus is fucking hot. That's all I got.

• Love 5

Flipping Brallie. Why, show?

They could have carried on the forgotten plot of Callie kissing Ximena. That would have been more interesting that rehashing the brother/sister stuff, or Callie and tall Alex Keaton perhaps hooking up. 

10 hours ago, Gulftastic said:

They could have carried on the forgotten plot of Callie kissing Ximena. That would have been more interesting that rehashing the brother/sister stuff, or Callie and tall Alex Keaton perhaps hooking up. 

Or AJ showing up at the wedding unexpectedly with Mike and he and Callie hooking up for old times sake....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

Or AJ showing up at the wedding unexpectedly with Mike and he and Callie hooking up for old times sake....

That would’ve been awesome!

In my head Aj’s brother got his life together and joined the fire department. They live down the hall from Mike, Ana, Little Isabella and the new baby. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

In my head Aj’s brother got his life together and joined the fire department. They live down the hall from Mike, Ana, Little Isabella and the new baby. 

So then writers, steal this line-

Mike surprising Brandon on the beach: "AJ sends his regrets. He's being honored today for saving those infants in the La Jolla fire. The mayor will be there."

• Love 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, Gulftastic said:

I still can't believe that on a show with lesbian moms, they chose to queerbait Callie with a girl for the fan attention. As for her not popping back up, I guess the kiss and romantic awkwardness would've been resolved years ago, but we said the same for Brandon, so...Then again, I always thought the show does have a shady side with LGBT stuff too, like when Cole's crush on Callie was played for pity with the implication that she wouldn't go for him because he didn't pass, only for her to happily pursue/date the much more conventionally attractive and easily passing Aaron a year or so later without the show batting an eye. Speaking of which, out of all her exs, Aaron is the one she's stayed close friends with and not AJ? Sure, Jan.

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I still can't believe that on a show with lesbian moms, they chose to queerbait Callie with a girl for the fan attention. As for her not popping back up, I guess the kiss and romantic awkwardness would've been resolved years ago, but we said the same for Brandon, so...Then again, I always thought the show does have a shady side with LGBT stuff too, like when Cole's crush on Callie was played for pity with the implication that she wouldn't go for him because he didn't pass, only for her to happily pursue/date the much more conventionally attractive and easily passing Aaron a year or so later without the show batting an eye. Speaking of which, out of all her exs, Aaron is the one she's stayed close friends with and not AJ? Sure, Jan.

I didn’t interpret Cole that way. I think COLE did because of his insecurities, but I think it was played that Callie didn’t date him because she didn’t like him and that was just fine. It had nothing to do with him being trans (although he believed that it did), but only that she didn’t want to date him. 

The rest of your post is 100% spot on. I think that many of these last three episode choices dealt with actor availablity. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I didn’t interpret Cole that way. I think COLE did because of his insecurities, but I think it was played that Callie didn’t date him because she didn’t like him and that was just fine. It had nothing to do with him being trans (although he believed that it did), but only that she didn’t want to date him. 

The rest of your post is 100% spot on. I think that many of these last three episode choices dealt with actor availablity. 

True, let me clarify! I don't think Callie explicitly rejected him because he was trans, but I was left with the vibe that the show/writers felt that he wasn't conventional enough to be a viable love interest, if that makes sense. ymmv.

I also needed more Ximena.

• Love 2